DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

Here in the Bay Area (San Francisco and surrounding locales) the authorities are a bit sensitive about photographing banks, but I've never seen anyone be stopped from photographing government buildings. One of the starting places of the "Occupy Wall Street" movement was in San Francisco (our hippies love to protest). And there's always the concern of some sort of attack or robbery. It's not illegal, but if you loiter in front of a bank too long, you'll probably get to talk to some clueless security guard. Fortunately, MOST of our banks in SF are pretty f-ugly. No desire to photograph them. But there are things you probably don't want to do, even if they're technically legal, like walking into the lobby and asking, "Just how many CCTV cameras do you have?" :)

Huh? I was not replying to you Divebomber. My reply was to Boise Jim. Not sure how that was confused but there you have it. :)

Mike
Sorry Mike. Serious apologies. I thought you were writing to me, and after reading a few more comments I realized it wasn't me you were talking to. When I checked my alerts this morning, the system said you quoted me, but I think that was from an earlier comment. I deleted the post. I guess I was the one confused. lol

The OP complained that some ignoramus who knew nothing about drone law interfered with his flight. You are complaining about the exact opposite. You are complaining about a woman who knew too much. This is a tough crowd to please.

220px-The_Man_Who_Knew_Too_Much_%281956_film%29.jpg
Right!?!?

One of the reasons we fought in WW2 was so we didn't have to learn that metric crap. BTW, how come I can change my Mavic to fly in mph, know how high it is in feet, how fast it is going up or down in fps, yet it has to have a RTH height in meters?
I do think that even NASA uses the metric system when employing math in all of their spacey stuff... maybe because it is the internationally accepted system of measurement? I may have read that somewhere....but I could be wrong. I would say maybe DJI just put imperial measures in to make it easier for Americans to buy the dji quads but odd the rth height is only metric.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I do think that even NASA uses the metric system when employing math in all of their spacey stuff... maybe because it is the internationally accepted system of measurement? I may have read that somewhere....but I could be wrong. I would say maybe DJI just put imperial measures in to make it easier for Americans to buy the dji quads but odd the rth height is only metric.
That's a pretty good observation sir!

Good observation you're totally right..

But there's another reason, explaining why they did not start with metric system (for every projects) from the beginning

When you deal with international project, such as a probe to Mars (with European space agency for instance), you have to make sure everyone is at the same page..

In this case sorry I can't remember the exact name, Americans and European did split tasks (that is not the mistake), basically the space vehicle that will release the probe, and the Probe itself.

To make it short, some calculated the distance with mars ground in feet, others in meters, for the final approach phase... Well, you can imagine how fast it impacted ground level without any chance to recover anything from it [emoji53]

It's interesting about the metric v. American systems. I'm old enough to remember when they tried to gently switch the US over to metric. Gas stations started displaying prices in liters, and a lot of signs also had KM below the mileage distances for a while. Food packages were in grams and liters and kilos. It just didn't catch on. Even though it's an easier system to use, because EVERYTHING is in base 10, people would rather use our system, and measure speed by fortnights per furlong. I went to college to get a degree in engineering soon after that project was quietly put out of its misery. All my engineering classes were in the metric system. It actually made things easier, after about a week of confusion. The only thing I never got used to is talking about the power of a motor in watts rather than horsepower. It's weird to be in a metric country and hear someone say, "Man, that classic Camero pumps out almost 400 kilowatts! What a machine!" :)

In most civilized countries either the bill of rights or the constitution allows anyone to film government or federal property from a public area...foot path for instance.

Last edited:
In Oregon a flight over (but not adjacent to) such a facility can be construed as a violation:

Drone Law - Oregon Critical Infrastructure:

Section Undefined (Passed as law but waiting on location to where it is to be added between 837.300-390)
(1) As used in this section, “critical infrastructure facility” means any of the following facilities, if completely enclosed by a fence or other physical barrier that is obviously designed to exclude intruders, or if marked with a sign conspicuously posted on the property that indicates that entry is forbidden:

(a) A petroleum or alumina refinery;

(b) An electrical power generating facility, substation, switching station or electrical control center;

(c) A chemical, polymer or rubber manufacturing facility;

(d) A water intake structure, water treatment facility, wastewater treatment plant or pump station;

(e) A natural gas compressor station;

(f) A liquid natural gas terminal or storage facility;

(g) A telecommunications central switching office;

(h) A port, railroad switching yard, trucking terminal or other freight transportation facility;

(i) A gas processing plant, including a plant used in the processing, treatment or fractionation of natural gas;

(j) A transmission facility used by a federally licensed radio or television station;

(k) A steelmaking facility that uses an electric arc furnace to make steel;

(L) A dam that is classified as a high hazard by the Water Resources Department;

(m) Any portion of an aboveground oil, gas or chemical pipeline that is enclosed by a fence or other physical barrier that is obviously designed to exclude intruders; or

(n) A correctional facility or law enforcement facility.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, a person commits a Class A violation if the person intentionally or knowingly:

(a) Operates an unmanned aircraft system over a critical infrastructure facility at an altitude not higher than 400 feet above ground level; or

(b) Allows an unmanned aircraft system to make contact with a critical infrastructure facility, including any person or object on the premises of or within the facility.

(3) This section does not apply to:

(a) The federal government.

(b) A public body.

(c) A law enforcement agency.

(d) A person under contract with or otherwise acting under the direction or on behalf of the federal government, a public body or a law enforcement agency.

(e) An owner or operator of the critical infrastructure facility.

(f) A person who has the prior written consent of the owner or operator of the critical infrastructure facility.

(g) The owner or occupant of the property on which the critical infrastructure facility is located.

(h) A person who has the prior written consent of the owner or occupant of the property on which the critical infrastructure facility is located.

(i) A person operating an unmanned aircraft system for commercial purposes in compliance with authorization granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.

In Oregon a flight over (but not adjacent to) such a facility can be construed as a violation:

Drone Law - Oregon Critical Infrastructure:

Section Undefined (Passed as law but waiting on location to where it is to be added between 837.300-390)
(1) As used in this section, “critical infrastructure facility” means any of the following facilities, if completely enclosed by a fence or other physical barrier that is obviously designed to exclude intruders, or if marked with a sign conspicuously posted on the property that indicates that entry is forbidden:

(a) A petroleum or alumina refinery;

(b) An electrical power generating facility, substation, switching station or electrical control center;

(c) A chemical, polymer or rubber manufacturing facility;

(d) A water intake structure, water treatment facility, wastewater treatment plant or pump station;

(e) A natural gas compressor station;

(f) A liquid natural gas terminal or storage facility;

(g) A telecommunications central switching office;

(h) A port, railroad switching yard, trucking terminal or other freight transportation facility;

(i) A gas processing plant, including a plant used in the processing, treatment or fractionation of natural gas;

(j) A transmission facility used by a federally licensed radio or television station;

(k) A steelmaking facility that uses an electric arc furnace to make steel;

(L) A dam that is classified as a high hazard by the Water Resources Department;

(m) Any portion of an aboveground oil, gas or chemical pipeline that is enclosed by a fence or other physical barrier that is obviously designed to exclude intruders; or

(n) A correctional facility or law enforcement facility.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, a person commits a Class A violation if the person intentionally or knowingly:

(a) Operates an unmanned aircraft system over a critical infrastructure facility at an altitude not higher than 400 feet above ground level; or

(b) Allows an unmanned aircraft system to make contact with a critical infrastructure facility, including any person or object on the premises of or within the facility.

(3) This section does not apply to:

(a) The federal government.

(b) A public body.

(c) A law enforcement agency.

(d) A person under contract with or otherwise acting under the direction or on behalf of the federal government, a public body or a law enforcement agency.

(e) An owner or operator of the critical infrastructure facility.

(f) A person who has the prior written consent of the owner or operator of the critical infrastructure facility.

(g) The owner or occupant of the property on which the critical infrastructure facility is located.

(h) A person who has the prior written consent of the owner or occupant of the property on which the critical infrastructure facility is located.

(i) A person operating an unmanned aircraft system for commercial purposes in compliance with authorization granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Although I live in Fla I do appreciate the information you posted, if it's that way in Oregon it's probably the same or similar here...I'll have to research it, again thanx

In most civilized countries either the bill of rights or the constitution allows anyone to film government or federal property from a public area...foot path for instance.

It seems silly to me to buzz around police station hoping to provoke a confrontation to video but to each his own I guess.

It seems silly to me to buzz around police station hoping to provoke a confrontation to video but to each his own I guess.
It might seem silly to you but that is just an opinion, Our rights and ( if an american citizen which i am not ) the constitution are something our fore fathers fought for and and are slowly being taken away,
There are auditors who feel so strongly about this who push back and demand our god given rights are not encroached or taken away and in fact are financed by millions of citizens,
Auditors call their audits an education program for government officials free of charge, Some auditors are partially financed by slapping lawsuits on officers (pd) who not only forgot who they work for but have zero interest in the oath they swore,
Auditors should be supported both morally and financially for the work they do,

Myself i tire of when leaving home with dslr and uav having to do a u turn because i forgot to fill my pocket with spare go pro batteries or a battery bank for the smart phone as i might have to live stream, I am a photographer not a terrorist and abide by the law and should not have to go about my hobby with body worn career destroyers, That is just my opinion,
Maybe in the future we are no longer allowed a cam on the phone?
If we dont hang on to our rights i feel the terrorists have won already.

It might seem silly to you but that is just an opinion, Our rights and ( if an american citizen which i am not ) the constitution are something our fore fathers fought for and and are slowly being taken away,
There are auditors who feel so strongly about this who push back and demand our god given rights are not encroached or taken away and in fact are financed by millions of citizens,
Auditors call their audits an education program for government officials free of charge, Some auditors are partially financed by slapping lawsuits on officers (pd) who not only forgot who they work for but have zero interest in the oath they swore,

Myself i tire of when leaving home with dslr and uav having to do a u turn because i forgot to fill my pocket with spare go pro batteries or a battery bank for the smart phone as i might have to live stream, I am a photographer not a terrorist and abide by the law and should not have to go about my hobby with body worn career destroyers, That is just my opinion,

The world is becoming one giant "POLICE STATE"...just saying

Reactions: Woodhouse

Some people just go around looking to cause trouble.... the guy in the video "ACTS" like he is standing up for drone pilots, but in reality, he is just being a jerk and looking to pick a fight. Standing up for yourself is NOT the same as looking for a fight.

Some people just go around looking to cause trouble.... the guy in the video "ACTS" like he is standing up for drone pilots, but in reality, he is just being a jerk and looking to pick a fight. Standing up for yourself is NOT the same as looking for a fight.
That being said, it's not only interesting but somewhat educational...just my take on it

That being said, it's not only interesting but somewhat educational...just my take on it

Agreed, a great chance to educate BOTH sides.

Those cops were not being a royal pain, albeit they did misspeak at the beginning with the resisting arrest insinuation, and a few other aspects, but this guy.... rather than trying to help...just instigated it for the fun of doing so.

Blame to go all the way around and it could have been better.

Agreed, a great chance to educate BOTH sides.

Those cops were not being a royal pain, albeit they did misspeak at the beginning with the resisting arrest insinuation, and a few other aspects, but this guy.... rather than trying to help...just instigated it for the fun of doing so.

Blame to go all the way around and it could have been better.

While I agree with you. Someone does have to keep police in general on their toes It just takes one bad apple to ruin a whole sack.

Reactions: Woodhouse

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga