DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

...Myself i tire of when leaving home with dslr and uav having to do a u turn because i forgot to fill my pocket with spare go pro batteries or a battery bank for the smart phone as i might have to live stream, I am a photographer not a terrorist and abide by the law and should not have to go about my hobby with body worn career destroyers...

You lost me here. What is a body worn career destroyer?

You lost me here. What is a body worn career destroyer?
I don't know about anyone else but I for one am already planning how to weave that phrase into everyday conversation. At the water cooler: "Wow, did you see Beyonce last night? That was close to being a body worn career destroyer!" [Walks away, leaving them confused, yet impressed.]

Mike

I don't know about anyone else but I for one am already planning how to weave that phrase into everyday conversation. At the water cooler: "Wow, did you see Beyonce last night? That was close to being a body worn career destroyer!" [Walks away, leaving them confused, yet impressed.]

Mike
Do you reckon there is one of those smiley face looking things that covers "confused, yet impressed"?

Getting snotty with a cop or authority figure never comes out well. Well, almost never. A few guys got snotty with King George a few years back, and threw a bunch of perfectly good Lipton Iced Tea into the Boston Harbor, and it all worked out in the end, after a bit of a scuffle (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). Years ago I took a class in conflict resolution. It was a VERY interesting class (no, you don't try to hug the cop and tell him he has pretty eyes). There are certain key words and phrases that defuse the tension. As luck would have it, a few weeks later I was going through the security check point at an airport. I was carrying a backpack i had used the previous weekend for camping. I had completely forgotten I had a good sized Buck Knife in one of the side pockets. Of course the X-ray machine guy saw it, and i was pulled out of line, and the police were called. I used some of the techniques I had just learned, and they worked like a charm. Not only did I not get charged, I was allowed to take the knife back to my car. What I have found that works for me in these situations is to apologize, then ask a lot of clarifying questions. Most often that ends the conversation pretty quickly. A friend of mine who is a cop told me that cops have about 6 civil code references they use to cover most situations. Very few of them know the 100's of pages of civil and criminal code they are required to enforce. These 6 or so references they use are sort of generic. If the incident rises to the point of a written report, they look up pertinent codes when they get back to their desk. If the action warrants prosecution, then the DA's Office takes over. With that knowledge, you can talk cops out of coming down hard on you, and maybe even forgetting the whole thing. Just be polite, know what you're talking about, and don't argue...discuss.....

Reactions: joejaxvic123
A simple solution: download the B4UFLY app from the FAA. If I get hassled, I usually do a return to home, and pull out my tablet, start the app and show them, that you have done your due diligence and have every right to be flying where you are. It's good practice to run it anytime you are flying a new area for your own protection. It starts with the FAA shield, it's very official and impressive to the layman. Then when they see your drone fly home by itself and land automatically it usually blows their mind. Also good to have your FAA registration card. Once they realize it's not just a toy (don't be afraid to tell them how much it cost you), they usually loosen up. If they do call the cops, just show the cops the app, your registration card and you are good to go.

B4UFLY link: B4UFLY Mobile App

If you educate 1 person they may pass the story along to their friends. Try to be a good ambassador first. They also pass along stories of bad experiences they have had with drone users.

Another Great tool is FlightRadar24 for real-time flights in your area: Introducing the All-New Flightradar24 Mobile App – Flightradar24 Blog

I will never understand why anyone would go out of their way just to prove something to someone else. Its not your obligation to do so.

Reactions: Divebomber
Do you reckon there is one of those smiley face looking things that covers "confused, yet impressed"?
I always kind of thought of a "body worn career destroyer" as a neck tattoo of a gang name (unless you're a career gang member). If Beyonce is wearing a body worn career destroyer I DEFINITELY want to see it. I haven't had much contact with her since she sent me the divorce papers. OK. OK, some people might call them a restraining order. Potato Potahto.

I will never understand why anyone would go out of their way just to prove something to someone else. Its not your obligation to do so.
Is it your obligation to point that out? Seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

I didn't judge anyone, just giving people that want it some tools. If you don't like mt posts just ignore them in the future... simple.

Reactions: Sprocket
i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?
I have a simple rule I follow. If somebody has an issue with my drone I will fly somewhere else. I always ask if anybody is around first. I can respect that some people's just don't like camera's flying around them. Id rather be polite and respectful first. If they are a complete rude asshat then I'll simply tell them to call the police if they have issue. I only fly in rural mountain areas so i have rarely had a person freak out.

Reactions: Sprocket
I have a simple rule I follow. If somebody has an issue with my drone I will fly somewhere else. I always ask if anybody is around first. I can respect that some people's just don't like camera's flying around them. Id rather be polite and respectful first. If they are a complete rude asshat then I'll simply tell them to call the police if they have issue. I only fly in rural mountain areas so i have rarely had a person freak out.
I have a similar rule as well... I always fly in public parks that are mostly empty or in fields. Never ever I had take my aircrafts over people's properties, neighbors or highways.

You guys are the eptimany of what's wrong with drone owners.

You fly, either intentionally or unintentionally over someone's home and then expect to act like your not possibly invading one's privacy. Yes there might be a concerned person who is wondering "what the **** is that thing doing here?" "I put my red jacket on which identifies myself as a drone pilot" really.

Drop the doctor's bed side manner routine and realize you'd never be on top of someone home without the drone in the first place and be a good neighbor. Respect is what will save all of us rather than thumbing your noses at what your doing to the public.

There is I agree a privacy and respect issue here, but there is a difference between flying over property and snooping. I mean, I get hot air balloons flying over my house reasonably regularly, often low enough that I can here the gas being fired into the balloon. Do I see it as an invasion of privacy? No is my answer to that. Now to have a drone literally come into down and into my garden, capable of seeing into the house would arose suspicions, and really infuriate me but flying over houses, it really is no greater an invasion of privacy than say Google maps and earth which show people's once very private gardens.

I recently had an opposite problem. I was taking some video of my family at a vista spot and had some people intentionally walk into the shot and start hamming it up for the camera. They were jumping around and waving at the drone. Made it hard to get the shot I wanted but at least they were happy and non-confrontational.

I recently had an opposite problem. I was taking some video of my family at a vista spot and had some people intentionally walk into the shot and start hamming it up for the camera. They were jumping around and waving at the drone. Made it hard to get the shot I wanted but at least they were happy and non-confrontational.
Truthfully, some of the posts here made me a little nervous of the general public but my experience so far is fantastic - mostly dog walkers but they've been incredibly friendly, their dogs on one occasion getting excited and barking at me but generally the reception I've had has been very positive.

Actually, when I bought the drone, I was very concerned about it causing confrontation. I am diagnosed with PTSD and do not react well to people who are confrontational, people who get into my business, or people who try to tell me what to do. However, since I've been flying the drone, I have not had any issues. Mind you I prefer to fly in areas away from people but people always have a way of walking up to you when you are flying your drone. At any rate, my encounters with people so far has been 100% positive. Usually, people are just curious and think your drone is "cool." I figure that as long as I go out of my way to be respectful, then people have no reason to be disrespectful of me.

Reactions: Prado man and FL1H1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc