DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

I’m thinking I’ll dress as Pennywise the clown instead of wearing a vest. Should do the trick.
The vest is good if you are in an unknown location which is allowed to fly but people may don't know. The vest can describe who you are, in case someone is thinking who is that weird guy doing there?

I’m not so sure how much is paranoia...think back before you had your drone. There you are sipping a beer in your backyard when this thing flies overhead and hovers there. You know it’s just someone staring at you...you just want some privacy and there it is with it’s mosquito sound just hovering. “Why are they watching me?”

People think they are being spied on and it concerns or irritates them...as this thing with a camera is buzzing around overhead watching their every move.

Of course, explaining to them this isn’t how it works and a friendly chat can alleviate those concerns....and go a long way at keeping peace with a neighbor.

Hmm. You have a point, but you are flying a Phantom, which could be a problem. I've seen ''No Drones" signs with a distinctive, black profile of a Phantom right there on the sign. When someone thinks drone, they'll probably picture a Phantom. The Pro looks more un-like your typical drone. So, calling it a quadcopter seems reasonable.

The Phantom hasn't been a problem, since it's been resting in its case for several years now. (I guess I should get it out and let it fly some time.) Until I got a Mavic Pro last year, most of my flying has been with with multicopters of my own design and construction, and it really has made no difference at all to uninformed members of the public.

It's kind of like people taking exception to others roaring down their street - they don't care what kind of car or truck you drive, they just wanna express their displeasure. And contrary to what approaches others may take, I doubt it would help to pull over and pop the hood or let them sit in my car. I'd just slow down and/or avoid that street for a while.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Sorry, mistyped. I meant to say if you are NOT part 107, are you certified? Then what about the cool nerd vest claiming you are?

I don’t even have one of those vests. But I surely am not going to make fun of anybody who does.

Mike

OMG seriously, just how PC can you be. Why should be have to put up with uninformed people questioning our activities in a public setting. This guy may not have been an idiot, but he was acting like one. Get informed before you start running at someone.
Not quite sure what you consider PC about my reply. The point I make is exactly what you eventually got to.... he wasn't an idiot, but was acting like one.

With regard to your statement, "Why should be(sic) have to put up with uninformed people questioning our activities...." You don't have to "put up" with anything! Maybe you could take some of your valuable time to inform and educate them so that you have relieved them of their ignorance.

Here's an excellent video worth considering. (Sometimes people are just curious....)

Not quite sure what you consider PC about my reply. The point I make is exactly what you eventually got to.... he wasn't an idiot, but was acting like one.

With regard to your statement, "Why should be(sic) have to put up with uninformed people questioning our activities...." You don't have to "put up" with anything! Maybe you could take some of your valuable time to inform and educate them so that you have relieved them of their ignorance.

Here's an excellent video worth considering. (Sometimes people are just curious....)

The vest is good if you are in an unknown location which is allowed to fly but people may don't know. The vest can describe who you are, in case someone is thinking who is that weird guy doing there?
when i fly im gonna take my clothes off and fly naked,guaranteed to repel any curious people.:p

This guy has some great advice. So far, I’ve been lucky enough to only have curious people approach me. Maybe because I’m in my 60’s I don’t look like I’m up to no good. No one seems to care. Of course I’m really careful about how close I fly to buildings and people. I think here in Northern California, even in farm country people can get a little nervous. Pot is now legal, but there’s still a lot of illegal growing
when i fly im gonna take my clothes off and fly naked,guaranteed to repel any curious people.:p
Yep, I thought my joke about Pennywise won the contest for keeping people away. I bow to you, wytnyt. You are the victor in humorous competition. lol.

In Canada the laws are still being written. However, the body responsible for air safety has instructed uav operators to NOT fly over buildings,people,vehicles,public roads,build up areas,and private property etc etc. it’s quite restrictive i suppose,but in general I think it’s just a good idea to fly away from people and respect our neighbours. Like many people have said, we do ourselves and our hobby no favours when we talk to people (who approach us) with a sarcastic or confrontational attitude.

A sarcastic and snide attitude never works, ever. Guaranteed to escalate what might be a friendly inquiry into something unpleasant. I really like the idea of correcting someone who asks about my "drone" by calling it a quad copter. I think it might also be valuable to be slightly self-deprecating and say, "it's just an expensive toy" (unless you're flying something that's clearly not a toy; MQ-9 Reaper drone pilots should probably come up with another story). Though a MP and other drones like it are really expensive (at least by my standards), they are, at the end of the day, really, toys.

As far as the vest goes, I think I'l get one that says in really large letters "FAA", and then in tiny letters down below, it will say, " Logo Safety Vest Owner". I don't think anyone can bust you for that. I do plan on getting my 107 cert. I'm already a pilot, and for me, the sample questions on FAA exams are pretty straight forward. The thing to remember about the FAA tests is that there are no trick questions. The questions are always very direct, looking for a specific bit of knowledge. If you look at the sample questions in any good test prep booklet, and know them well, you'll probably do OK on the test, if you take it. I'm certified up to ATP, and never got a question wrong because it was a trick question. I got some wrong because I didn't read the question carefully, but that's another story.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Tell them you are from AREA 51 and there was a report of a unidentifiable flying obect very close and your locator that you have in your hands shows it right in front of you,and your trying to draw it into the beam and force it to land. and in about 10-30 minutes you are sure you will find it. Please step aside so you are not hurt. :)

Seriously, We’re i fly there is no one around

Reactions: wytnyt
Tell them you are from AREA 51 and there was a report of a unidentifiable flying obect very close and your locator that you have in your hands shows it right in front of you,and your trying to draw it into the beam and force it to land. and in about 10-30 minutes you are sure you will find it. Please step aside so you are not hurt. :)

Seriously, We’re i fly there is no one around
Agree.... I try to fly where there's not likely to be someone interested (although people seem to appear out of nowhere). I was out in the country last time I flew, about 30' off a country road, circling an old school house that's been there since the 1800's. It was Saturday, and no one was around. As luck would have it, a bicyclist in full road bike gear came down the road, glanced up, saw the quad, and stopped to talk about it. Ya can't win! As far as Area 51 goes, you know that's just a decoy, right? lol....

Reactions: Classic flyer
In Canada the laws are still being written. However, the body responsible for air safety has instructed uav operators to NOT fly over buildings,people,vehicles,public roads,build up areas,and private property etc etc. it’s quite restrictive i suppose,but in general I think it’s just a good idea to fly away from people and respect our neighbours. Like many people have said, we do ourselves and our hobby no favours when we talk to people (who approach us) with a sarcastic or confrontational attitude.
Well, since there's like 23 people in Canada, and your country views not saying anything but, " Sorry, I can't talk right now, but here's Labatt's beer," as confrontational, plus there's about eleventy-billion square acres of open space, you should be OK, right?

Seriously, it sounds like Canada is ahead of the US on the regulation curve. I predict the first time a commercial jet sucks a toy quad copter into an engine, it'll be game over for us US enthusiasts. The regulations will become back breaking, and to fly legally, we'll all have to get some sort of license similar to the Part 107 cert. It all comes down to money. If some clueless quad pilot causes a multi-million dollar engine repair (unlikely to actually bring the plane down) then all hell will break loose. There have been a good number of close calls, and even a few collisions, but so far nothing that has caused a serious accident (that's verifiable, anyway). There's a whole culture of covering your a** with fibs in the US, if you do something dumb as a pilot that could cause a license suspension or revocation. Even if a drone wasn't in the vicinity, it might be blamed for an accident. Not good....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert