DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

Mmm... I am new in this but what I have noticed is that drones should keep certain distance from residences, making takes from above with certain hight I believe it's ok but when the hight is low I have noticed people dislike it very much, it's like they feel invade what I understand too. My sister told me (I don't know if this is entirely correct ) if you own the property in France where the drone is flying no matter how high you fly the owner can take your drone down without any issue, that's also a risk for you as I have noticed many people have a big issue with drones lately. Thank you for sharing your experience, it's great to know how things workout for other pilots

Mmm... I am new in this but what I have noticed is that drones should keep certain distance from residences, making takes from above with certain hight I believe it's ok but when the hight is low I have noticed people dislike it very much, it's like they feel invade what I understand too. My sister told me (I don't know if this is entirely correct ) if you own the property in France where the drone is flying no matter how high you fly the owner can take your drone down without any issue, that's also a risk for you as I have noticed many people have a big issue with drones lately. Thank you for sharing your experience, it's great to know how things workout for other pilots
Just for your information so you can let your sister know as well. Taking down a drone in mid air that the person does not own, It's like taking a helicopter or airplane down. Which is a federal crime, believe it or not. Here is a link with the info: FAA Confirms It’s a Federal Crime to Shoot Down a Drone

Last edited:
Reactions: The Raven
i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?
So long as you're not hovering over anybody's house they've got no argument IMHO

Well glad it did but is really how I feel sometimes when these threads are started and I know they are going to go south .I do try and stay out till something is reported but by then it's 4 or 5 pages of it .Now lets try and get back on topic and do try and be civil all .:)
im our pontiac forum we have a clubhouse where were allowed to argue,just sayin

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Just for your information so you can let your sister know as well. Taking down a drone in mid air that the person does not own, It's like taking a helicopter or airplane down. Which is a federal crime, believe it or not. Here is a link with the info: FAA Confirms It’s a Federal Crime to Shoot Down a Drone

Maybe you didn't see, but she said in France. FAA doesn't hold much weight there I don't think.
Could you tell me where you got the jacket? I think having one would make some locations much better for me.

Thanks

Any bright vest or jacket should work. it could say "Police", "FBI", "DEA", "Secret Service"............
anything that makes you look and feel important is good "People Repellant" , works really good repelling those pesky girls too I bet! :D

This is probably the best advice ever. Stop calling them drones. If someone comes up to you and asks; "Is that a drone?" You say; "No, it's a quadcopter."

That's a losing battle. I remember when I started (Phantom 1) years ago we thought we would be able to convince the general public that it was NOT a drone, it was a quadcopter.
It seems that despite our efforts, it's gotten to be more prevalent each year. It's gone so far that a huge percentage of flyers even use the "D" word now.

If you are part 107, I wonder about the " FAA certified drone pilot" on a vest as well.

There’s a definite undercurrent of paranoia these days. This is probably not the forum to discuss what might be causing it, but it’s all over the media. LEOs are starting to use quadcopters to survey suspect locals, which is great for them, but doesn’t allay the fears when an innocent hobbyist is just flying for fun. I must admit, as much as I love to fly these things, even I, as an operator, hates the shrill whine of these things. It’s not as bad as the old gasoline powered RC planes I flew as a kid, but it is annoying, and it attracts attention. And you have to remember that most people are not technically very sophisticated. They’ve seen the videos of drone strikes or data capture from combat zones, and assume these hobby drones can do the same. I’m on s local chat group for the town I live in. There have been several people talking about drones hovering or circling. It’s the bad cop syndrome. 99.99% of cops are honest, ethical people. But that fraction of a percentage of bad cops makes the general public distrustful of all of them. Same with us drone people. We’ve just gotta stay polite, and respect property, and even if some things are legal, avoid doing them if they vex people. If we don’t, this new hobby will be regulated out of existence.

That's a losing battle. I remember when I started (Phantom 1) years ago we thought we would be able to convince the general public that it was NOT a drone, it was a quadcopter.
It seems that despite our efforts, it's gotten to be more prevalent each year. It's gone so far that a huge percentage of flyers even use the "D" word now.
Hmm. You have a point, but you are flying a Phantom, which could be a problem. I've seen ''No Drones" signs with a distinctive, black profile of a Phantom right there on the sign. When someone thinks drone, they'll probably picture a Phantom. The Pro looks more un-like your typical drone. So, calling it a quadcopter seems reasonable.

The thought does cross my mind about these vests. If someone already leaning toward paranoia sees an “official” flying an air vehicle would it make matters worse? There are some people who don’t differentiate between any governmental organization. Anyone “official” might even be more likely to be challenged. I have no personal experience with this. As I’ve said, anyone who has approached me has been curious, not aggressive...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb