DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

genesimmons

Reactions
i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

I'd smile and jokingly say, "If I really wanted to scope out your property, I'd just use Google Maps Street View. It's free, with better, closer pictures, and I wouldn't have to mess with spending $1000 on a drone."

You weren't wrong IMO, unless you were hovering low over his property. No matter what you do, someone will always find a reason to complain and/or be paranoid. Just be honest, civil and friendly when they confront you, and if that's not good enough, F em.

If the area is not a public park but it's a public place, I usually have my red jacket that says I am a FAA registered drone pilot. Usually when I wear it, people never bothers me. I think they get intimated because I look like a government employee... Hahaha.

If the area is not a public park but it's a public place, I usually have my red jacket that says I am a FAA registered drone pilot. Usually when I wear it, people never bothers me. I think they get intimated because I look like a government employee... Hahaha.
I do the same yellow coat saying ifaa pilot please stand away never get bothered if they do I just say if you can please stand away its dangerous if not I would like to call the guards and this is being recorded from both the sky and the sound they move fair quick

Last week while trying to set a flood light tower as a point of interest i noticed a guy coming my way, I pretended not to notice him but it,s hard to concentrate when they start speaking, He started tugging on my shirt asking for money with slurred speech, i kinda feel bad now coz i exploded on him accusing him of having no manners, I guess he was after a few baht to buy rice whiskey.

It's a prime example of what the internet can do for a subject. As you pointed out, Google Earth's view will contain a lot more details from space than your video at 250 feet. But folks read on the internet of misuse, where one person was stupid enough to attempt spying on neighbors and now the general impression is that what anyone flying a drone is doing. The idea of just enjoying a flight just like with a standard RC aircraft never comes to mind.

The other day, I was out and 275 feet over where I had launched and gimbaled down. It took me about a full minute to see the landing pad that is just how hard it is to make out finer details from that height with the camera on the Mavic.

I had to come to within around 20 to 30 feet before I could make out any details on my face or my friends.

Sure if someone is flying that close to a personal residence and you don't know the owner, questions then might be asked. But not 250 feet. This might change with the P5 and interchange about lenses, but that is a totally different subject.

I also agree that folks tend to come up and start asking questions in a public spot and that can be distracting for sure. I like the idea of the jacket. Still working on the 107 but it's on my short list of things to get done.

BTW I live in Arkansas, and since most folks here are carrying a piece or have one in the car, I would have followed your advice, and just landed and left with a simple explanation. No point in escalation as it's not a time to have a discussion about air space and who owns what. But around here we have C-130 fly overs all the time. Right over the deck many times but no one worries about if they are using a camera. If they are the images will be a lot more detailed than those from the Mavic for sure.

Paul Caldwell

haha thanks for the replies, yes its a common misconception that these birds can be used to spy, pretty hard to spy with a ultra wide lens haha, as mentioned to see his dog or what ever i would have to be 20ft away, i was surprised that he heard and seen my drone at 250ft in a sunny day though, i usually can only hear it when i power up or down not forward as much and with all the outside noises such as road noise and chickens etc i didnt think he could hear it at 250ft

No, you'll see idiots like that one many times.
They should go to Google and ask them same questions about privacy and all that.
After a few similar encounters I completely ignore peps with such attitude while I'm flying.

I don't think calling anyone an "idiot" serves any purpose. Nothing in the OP indicates his behavior was anything that deserved such derision. If his approach and inquiry was as the OP described, I think he was simply unaware and deserving of an answer. You allude to "privacy" and the man said nothing about his privacy being at issue. Easy, big fella.

Such a great idea. I have old man came to me saying I can't fly in the area because I am in a restricted zone. I told him that, DJI would not let me hover my drone if even if I want to fly near restricted area. Not sure if some people is just an *** or trying to be smart ***. Either way, they are still an *** :D

I think your average American is predisposed to be put off by drones. And no wonder, really. We've been witnessing our government's use of drones as instruments of surveillance and weapons of war for many years now. Let's face it, the idea that people can be located anywhere in the world and snuffed by remotely operated drones is pretty spooky. I try to remember that when people come bustling up to me with concerns when I'm flying. They have a right to be concerned. I figure it's my job to allay their fears if I can.

You guys are the eptimany of what's wrong with drone owners.

You fly, either intentionally or unintentionally over someone's home and then expect to act like your not possibly invading one's privacy. Yes there might be a concerned person who is wondering "what the hell is that thing doing here?" "I put my red jacket on which identifies myself as a drone pilot" really.

Drop the doctor's bed side manner routine and realize you'd never be on top of someone home without the drone in the first place and be a good neighbor. Respect is what will save all of us rather than thumbing your noses at what your doing to the public.

You fly, either intentionally or unintentionally over someone's home and then expect to act like your not possibly invading one's privacy. Yes there might be a concerned person who is wondering "what the **** is that thing doing here?" "I put my red jacket on which identifies myself as a drone pilot" really.

Drop the doctor's bed side manner routine and realize you'd never be on top of someone home without the drone in the first place and be a good neighbor. Respect is what will save all of us rather than thumbing your noses at what your doing to the public.
Interesting first post....

You fly, either intentionally or unintentionally over someone's home and then expect to act like your not possibly invading one's privacy. Yes there might be a concerned person who is wondering "what the **** is that thing doing here?" "I put my red jacket on which identifies myself as a drone pilot" really.

Believe it or not, I had never flew my fleet of drones on my neighbors. I always do two things... Turn on inside my house for firmware updates when they are available and two, take it to the park to fly it. Never like to take my drone up in the air around my neighbors. That shows disrespect towards them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead