DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

I flew over hundreds of families on every flight. Only curious ones come check out my screen and photo video qualities. Most ended up buying one few weeks later.

Some came over to asked to be photographed seriously.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180407-165004.png
    Screenshot_20180407-165004.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 109
I think your average American is predisposed to be put off by drones. And no wonder, really. We've been witnessing our government's use of drones as instruments of surveillance and weapons of war for many years now. Let's face it, the idea that people can be located anywhere in the world and snuffed by remotely operated drones is pretty spooky. I try to remember that when people come bustling up to me with concerns when I'm flying. They have a right to be concerned. I figure it's my job to allay their fears if I can.
Good ambassadorship sir...thanx

Reactions: ryandee
If the area is not a public park but it's a public place, I usually have my red jacket that says I am a FAA registered drone pilot. Usually when I wear it, people never bothers me. I think they get intimated because I look like a government employee... Hahaha.
That's a great idea! I will get that jacket and get a "Therapy Dog" vest for my poodle and tell him "Dont talk to me. You're stressing me out!"

Reactions: Rik and macoman
I suspect the fastest way to get rid of a complainant would be to tell them to contact the FAA. Here’s one time when that dense bureaucracy would come in handy. :)

Reactions: Vilco
Be nice, not hostile. Show him a photo of his house from the air and offer to email one to him. Ambassador vs. soldier.

Besides, I think he has a right to ask you not to agitate the chickens, and you have a responsibility to honor that request.

I was flying over an inland waterway channel last weekend about 20 miles south of Cozumel. There are condos along the waterway. I was up about 100 feet and this elderly gentleman came over and asked me to land my drone because his wife was fearful that I was spying on her and taking her photos. I showed him the view that I had via my iPhone and told him that I never take any close-up photos of anyone without their permission. He said that his wife was also worried that I could crash the MP into her and injure her. I explained that if she is indoors (which he had told me she was) it would be pretty difficult for my MP to hit her. Finally I told him that I am a member of a drone pilots association (a bit of a stretch of what mavicpilots.com is) and that my drone was registered with the FAA and that eased his concerns a bit. Finally I invited him to try my Goggles which he did and he really liked them. He left and I never heard back from him or his neurotic wife.
Maybe you didn't hear any more from his neurotic wife. But I bet he heard plenty!

I flew over hundreds of families on every flight. Only curious ones come check out my screen and photo video qualities. Most ended up buying one few weeks later.

Some came over to asked to be photographed seriously.
Singapore?

The only problem I ever had was flying in a local park, at 400 feet so as not to bother people trying to enjoy the park on the weekend. Some lady had a bird, threatened to break my drone and asked me why didn't I go fly it at some place like an airport.
That’s funny. Like why don’t you move that deer crossing further down the road.

It's a prime example of what the internet can do for a subject. As you pointed out, Google Earth's view will contain a lot more details from space than your video at 250 feet. But folks read on the internet of misuse, where one person was stupid enough to attempt spying on neighbors and now the general impression is that what anyone flying a drone is doing. The idea of just enjoying a flight just like with a standard RC aircraft never comes to mind.

The other day, I was out and 275 feet over where I had launched and gimbaled down. It took me about a full minute to see the landing pad that is just how hard it is to make out finer details from that height with the camera on the Mavic.

I had to come to within around 20 to 30 feet before I could make out any details on my face or my friends.

Sure if someone is flying that close to a personal residence and you don't know the owner, questions then might be asked. But not 250 feet. This might change with the P5 and interchange about lenses, but that is a totally different subject.

I also agree that folks tend to come up and start asking questions in a public spot and that can be distracting for sure. I like the idea of the jacket. Still working on the 107 but it's on my short list of things to get done.

BTW I live in Arkansas, and since most folks here are carrying a piece or have one in the car, I would have followed your advice, and just landed and left with a simple explanation. No point in escalation as it's not a time to have a discussion about air space and who owns what. But around here we have C-130 fly overs all the time. Right over the deck many times but no one worries about if they are using a camera. If they are the images will be a lot more detailed than those from the Mavic for sure.

Paul Caldwell

Funny, that almost sounded like you implied that people legally carrying firearms might just shoot you because they’re pissed at you.

Reactions: MAVA4
I really don't think the homeowner was out of line. He had a legitimate concern and when you explained your intent, he happily went on his way. Treating bystanders with contempt is the wrong attitude and doesn't make us look good their eyes. Whenever I'm approached by a curious person, I just bring the drone in a little closer and let it hover at a lower altitude and chat. I'm happy to explain what I'm doing.

Reactions: ryandee
nothing wrong with being an ***..
Rik, this is a friendly bunch. If you want to talk about your concerns about drone piloting, it’s great to hear from someone who doesn’t fly and wants to raise awareness. Non-flier opinions are important to us drone fliers, believe it or not. That said, most of your posts have been negative, bordering on obnoxious. If you’ve come here merely to troll, please take it somewhere else. Our admins watch manners carefully. If there’s a pattern of negativity and lack of contribution to the various conversations, you won’t last long. Lighten up.

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?
Less than 500 ft over private property is legally considered trespassing.

If the area is not a public park but it's a public place, I usually have my red jacket that says I am a FAA registered drone pilot. Usually when I wear it, people never bothers me. I think they get intimated because I look like a government employee... Hahaha.

That is awesome, can you post a pic...I have to make one of these now...

And th
I live in a community where most of the houses are sitting on 5+ acre lots so there is plenty of separation. I don't feel too bad about flying straight up from my backyard to a reasonable altitude and then venturing off. I'm technically flying over my neighbor's property during the venturing off part. But I don't see where that's any more intrusive than the stream of manned aircraft that ply the airspace in this area. I'm way overhead so not in a position to be a real risk to anyone's privacy or even a detectable annoyance. All the same, if a neighbor complained to me, I would certainly listen to their concerns. Every encounter with a person who is concerned about my flying is an opportunity to educate them about what's really involved. The more the better.
That's how you do it.

I think they get intimidated because I'm a 6'4 black dude. I have been flying for 7 years and has never had anyone bother me....YET!

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

I had a similar experience, at a state park, an older park worker told me someone was concerned about their privacy as I flew over the beach, the couple was on a fishing pier, I was at 350ft, no way to actually make out details of the older couple, the park worker said he felt like he should have taken out his pistol and shot it down. (he didn't say it was illegal to fly in the park at the time). His concerns were about privacy, very bizarre. There were people taking photos of the beach and pier, including the couple concerned with my drone. I assured him I was leaving and would not continue flying there again. (R/C airplanes, and helicopters have been flying there for years, but once someone started using the word "drone" everyone freaked out.
The best way out of the situation is to not argue, just some facts, then move on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada