DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

Be nice, not hostile. Show him a photo of his house from the air and offer to email one to him. Ambassador vs. soldier.

Besides, I think he has a right to ask you not to agitate the chickens, and you have a responsibility to honor that request.
Chickens might think it's a hawk?

Unless you are licence to fly over the property and people, it’s illegal. They aren’t under your control, therefore you have no right to be flying over them.

I’m assuming you have insurance if your aircraft fails and lands on someone’s property or head?

Gareth

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

Rick of Drone Valley agrees, which is why he never uses the word "drone" -- he always says either "quad" or "quadcopter" on his show.

My guess is that as Tello quadcopter sales soar into the stratosphere, public acceptance will soon follow.
This is probably the best advice ever. Stop calling them drones. If someone comes up to you and asks; "Is that a drone?" You say; "No, it's a quadcopter."

I like the idea of the jacket. Still working on the 107 but it's on my short list of things to get done.

Paul Caldwell
Don't have to have a 107 to wear the jacket.
The badge mentioned is a bad idea in most cases as impersonating an officer is a punishable offense most places...

I don't think calling anyone an "idiot" serves any purpose. Nothing in the OP indicates his behavior was anything that deserved such derision. If his approach and inquiry was as the OP described, I think he was simply unaware and deserving of an answer. You allude to "privacy" and the man said nothing about his privacy being at issue. Easy, big fella.

OMG seriously, just how PC can you be. Why should be have to put up with uninformed people questioning our activities in a public setting. This guy may not have been an idiot, but he was acting like one. Get informed before you start running at someone.

Unless you are licence to fly over the property and people, it’s illegal. They aren’t under your control, therefore you have no right to be flying over them.
I’m assuming you have insurance if your aircraft fails and lands on someone’s property or head?
Gareth

I dunno where you live friend but best not to make assumptions based on your location since we are a global community.

You guys are the eptimany of what's wrong with drone owners.
You fly, either intentionally or unintentionally over someone's home and then .. blah blah blah

Nice start to making new friends...

Rik, this is a friendly bunch. If you want to talk about your concerns about drone piloting, it’s great to hear from someone who doesn’t fly and wants to raise awareness. Non-flier opinions are important to us drone fliers, believe it or not. That said, most of your posts have been negative, bordering on obnoxious. If you’ve come here merely to troll, please take it somewhere else. Our admins watch manners carefully. If there’s a pattern of negativity and lack of contribution to the various conversations, you won’t last long. Lighten up.

More ignorance and arrogance.

I commented about “pilots” (your term) acting rude, arrogant and downright stupid in their interactions with home/property owners. “I flip my badge real quick like they do in the movies,..... I put my red jacket on that identifies me as a drone pilot... “ etc..

Yet you take calling drone flyiers to a higher standard is negative? It’s not rude, it’s apparently very much called for.

As for my right to post on this or any forum due to your assumptions, well once again your assumptions are incorrect. If you had read before written you would have read that I too own and control a few drones.

As for a pilot, I’m one of those too, I hold a IR, CMP, HP SES and SEL ratings/endorsement. Yet your not negative by your insinuations and prejudge.

My point is after reading the antics of some drone owners actions, be the person that non drone owners would be happy to associate with and want to be around, not the owners who actual act like
( MOD REMOVED )

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong

Gareth

Again, please don't throw out a declaration of "it's against the law" without citing the specific law someone is supposedly violating by flying over a person's property. Even the police must know what specific law a person is violating in order to claim that a person is in violation of the law. And it's hard to point out the fallacy of your position if there's nothing to review or critique.

I suppose I could retort by claiming, "no it's not", but that doesn't provide any more insight into the truth than your initial declaration.

I bet you’re an Australian, aren’t you?

Gareth

More ignorance and arrogance.

I commented about “pilots” (your term) acting rude, arrogant and downright stupid in their interactions with home/property owners. “I flip my badge real quick like they do in the movies,..... I put my red jacket on that identifies me as a drone pilot... “ etc..
Yet you take calling drone flyiers to a higher standard is negative? It’s not rude, it’s apparently very much called for.
As for my right to post on this or any forum due to your assumptions, well once again your assumptions are incorrect. If you had read before written you would have read that I too own and control a few drones.
As for a pilot, I’m one of those too, I hold a IR, CMP, HP SES and SEL ratings/endorsement. Yet your not negative by your insinuations and prejudge.
My point is after reading the antics of some drone owners actions, be the person that non drone owners would be happy to associate with and want to be around, not the owners who actual act like “the FAA says I’m go so **** off”

Ding-Ding! A new record - two posts and on my block list.

Less than 500 ft over private property is legally considered trespassing.

I respectfully disagree...as a fellow Oregonian.

ORS837.300-.998
Specifically examine ORS 837.380 (2) and (3):
837.380 Action by owner of real property; Attorney General. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person who owns or lawfully occupies real property in this state may bring an action against any person or public body that operates an unmanned aircraft system that is flown over the property if:
(a) The operator of the unmanned aircraft system has flown the unmanned aircraft system over the property on at least one previous occasion; and
(b) The person notified the owner or operator of the unmanned aircraft system that the person did not want the unmanned aircraft system flown over the property.
(2) A person may not bring an action under this section if:
(a) The unmanned aircraft system is lawfully in the flight path for landing at an airport, airfield or runway; and
(b) The unmanned aircraft system is in the process of taking off or landing.
(3) A person may not bring an action under this section if the unmanned aircraft system is operated for commercial purposes in compliance with authorization granted by the Federal Aviation Administration. This subsection does not preclude a person from bringing another civil action, including but not limited to an action for invasion of privacy or an action for invasion of personal privacy under ORS 30.865.
(4) A prevailing plaintiff may recover treble damages for any injury to the person or the property by reason of a trespass by an unmanned aircraft system as described in this section, and may be awarded injunctive relief in the action.
(5) A prevailing plaintiff may recover attorney fees under ORS 20.080 if the amount pleaded in an action under this section is $10,000 or less.
(6) The Attorney General, on behalf of the State of Oregon, may bring an action or claim for relief alleging nuisance or trespass arising from the operation of an unmanned aircraft system in the airspace over this state. A court shall award reasonable attorney fees to the Attorney General if the Attorney General prevails in an action under this section. [2013 c.686 §15; 2015 c.315 §11; 2016 c.72 §10]
————————

Flying under Part 107 you should be good to go in Oregon...and if someone interferes with your operation they can be charged with a Class C felony under Oregon Law (ORS837.995(2))

One more reason to be a Part 107 pilot!

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Per Texas law, he is within his rights. If you have any of my property in your footage and I don't want it, you must delete it. So, it depends on where you are at. Many of you need to have some consideration for how others feel, rather than only thinking of yourself.

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

Next time someone comes to nag, just reply; I would be happy to shoot photos of your property mr, but not for free :)

Reactions: genesimmons
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots