DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

So the vest is for everyone BUT your neighbors?
For everyone but I do not like to fly over someone's private house. This is why I take my drone to the park, lake or beach.

Interesting first post....

So now someone needs to post their resume in order to be correct? Turn your nose back down.

I've got a Mavic Pro, hence why I'm on this site as well as a Phantom 3 so what does that mean.. Absolutely nothing and what does that mean towards respecting other others? More than your comment about the number of my post.

Get off your throne.. But wear your geeky jackets, we've got to make fun of someone..

Reactions: WWMav and The Raven
I live in a community where most of the houses are sitting on 5+ acre lots so there is plenty of separation. I don't feel too bad about flying straight up from my backyard to a reasonable altitude and then venturing off. I'm technically flying over my neighbor's property during the venturing off part. But I don't see where that's any more intrusive than the stream of manned aircraft that ply the airspace in this area. I'm way overhead so not in a position to be a real risk to anyone's privacy or even a detectable annoyance. All the same, if a neighbor complained to me, I would certainly listen to their concerns. Every encounter with a person who is concerned about my flying is an opportunity to educate them about what's really involved. The more the better.

So now someone needs to post their resume in order to be correct? Turn your nose back down.

I've got a Mavic Pro, hence why I'm on this site as well as a Phantom 3 so what does that mean.. Absolutely nothing and what does that mean towards respecting other others? More than your comment about the number of my post.

Get off your throne.. But wear your geeky jackets, we've got to make fun of someone..
Wow. I was in no way be derisive about your post, but commenting that it was interesting. I actually agree with you, although you now personally seem to be a bit of a ****.
I shall ensure not to comment on anyone’s first post in the future. Or I could just thumb my nose at your second post

Maybe take it down just a notch :D
Geeky jackets and vests...... LOL!

I live in a community where most of the houses are sitting on 5+ acre lots so there is plenty of separation. I don't feel too bad about flying straight up from my backyard to a reasonable altitude and then venturing off. I'm technically flying over my neighbor's property during the venturing off part. But I don't see where that's any more intrusive than the stream of manned aircraft that ply the airspace in this area. I'm way overhead so not in a position to be a real risk to anyone's privacy or even a detectable annoyance. All the same, if a neighbor complained to me, I would certainly listen to their concerns. Every encounter with a person who is concerned about my flying is an opportunity to educate them about what's really involved. The more the better.
Wow. I was in no way be derisive about your post, but commenting that it was interesting. I actually agree with you, although you now personally seem to be a bit of a ****.
I shall ensure not to comment on anyone’s first post in the future. Or I could just thumb my nose at your second post
nothing wrong with being an ***..

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

Interesting that he mentioned chicken houses. While in military, we were to avoid chicken coops Big ones are quite recognizable from the air. Flying low and fast over them had a negative effect on their production. Really.

I think your average American is predisposed to be put off by drones. And no wonder, really. We've been witnessing our government's use of drones as instruments of surveillance and weapons of war for many years now. Let's face it, the idea that people can be located anywhere in the world and snuffed by remotely operated drones is pretty spooky.

Rick of Drone Valley agrees, which is why he never uses the word "drone" -- he always says either "quad" or "quadcopter" on his show.

My guess is that as Tello quadcopter sales soar into the stratosphere, public acceptance will soon follow.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
haven't had any issues yet but then again haven't done much flying yet.
Had a similar situation couple years ago that i will use as a bench mark if i ever get anyone jumping me over the drone thing. Long read follows if you are interested.....

Parked my car in the commercial section of my town, very small town about 13K population.
I hear this shouting from about 35 yards away hey hey you that is a handicapped parking place...my son is in a wheelchair what the F is wrong with you.

Now this guy was on foot and alone...no son no wheelchair he was just really upset that i was in a handicapped parking spot or so he thought and before I knew it in my face big time.

The space where I parked was not marked with the ground wheelchair symbol and the metal HC sign was along side the next parking spot.

I tell him to buzz off the space where the sign is, is HC parking and I am not in it. He continues to yell in my face. i move away from him he follows and escalates. i tell him to pi$$ off and call 911 and walk away again, he continues...I tell him to f-off and turn my back on him and continue to walk away actully hoping the guy makes physical contact, he is livid at this point but he doesn't and I entered the business i was heading for.

When I come out he is yelling at a police officer he must have called?
Officer asks me if that is my vehicle and I say yes.
Officer says get in your car and leave immediately please. I booked never saying another word.

about an hour later the police officer enters my place of business.......tells me all is settled the guy blew up on me because he thought I was the brother of a police office on the same department and i was acting above the law to violate the HC parking because of my connection to the PD.

The guy was wrong...actually it is my son who is a sergeant on the same PD. The officer informed me the parking spot was not marked correctly and would be soon to match the other HC spots in this commercial district next day the town added the proper markings.

My point here is SOME PEOPLE are just A$$hats and can have all kinds of bias and agendas and will default to the PC arguement in this new society.

We are going to see this negative view more and more relative to our drone activity. Like all of our pre flight checks we all should have a plan to handle such a situation. Unfortunately it is a part of the hobby / business that nobody tells you about ahead of time. get out in front and have a plan.
mikemoose55

haven't had any issues yet but then again haven't done much flying yet.
Had a similar situation couple years ago that i will use as a bench mark if i ever get anyone jumping me over the drone thing. Long read follows if you are interested.....

Parked my car in the commercial section of my town, very small town about 13K population.
I hear this shouting from about 35 yards away hey hey you that is a handicapped parking place...my son is in a wheelchair what the F is wrong with you.

Now this guy was on foot and alone...no son no wheelchair he was just really upset that i was in a handicapped parking spot or so he thought and before I knew it in my face big time.

The space where I parked was not marked with the ground wheelchair symbol and the metal HC sign was along side the next parking spot.

I tell him to buzz off the space where the sign is, is HC parking and I am not in it. He continues to yell in my face. i move away from him he follows and escalates. i tell him to pi$$ off and call 911 and walk away again, he continues...I tell him to f-off and turn my back on him and continue to walk away actully hoping the guy makes physical contact, he is livid at this point but he doesn't and I entered the business i was heading for.

When I come out he is yelling at a police officer he must have called?
Officer asks me if that is my vehicle and I say yes.
Officer says get in your car and leave immediately please. I booked never saying another word.

about an hour later the police officer enters my place of business.......tells me all is settled the guy blew up on me because he thought I was the brother of a police office on the same department and i was acting above the law to violate the HC parking because of my connection to the PD.

The guy was wrong...actually it is my son who is a sergeant on the same PD. The officer informed me the parking spot was not marked correctly and would be soon to match the other HC spots in this commercial district next day the town added the proper markings.

My point here is SOME PEOPLE are just A$$hats and can have all kinds of bias and agendas and will default to the PC arguement in this new society.

We are going to see this negative view more and more relative to our drone activity. Like all of our pre flight checks we all should have a plan to handle such a situation. Unfortunately it is a part of the hobby / business that nobody tells you about ahead of time. get out in front and have a plan.
mikemoose55
That's why Mike when I do my drone activity. I go usually to remote places, away from the people. I like as well public parks. Never had any negative encounter with anyone, just the usual curious people asking the type of drone I fly.

Reactions: getitinwriting
i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?
As pilots we are all ambassadors for the industry. Always be as polite and informative as you can be. Let them see just how wide a view your drone sees (if they’re interested) and do exactly as you did, keep it high above their property and let them know you’re operating in accordance with nationally established rules of aviation from the FAA.

Hopefully you get another fan. If not... at least you tried!

Reactions: Greg Smithski
You did nothing wrong. There are paranoid idiots everywhere you go. I would have came at him with ...

"Sir, I'm not interested in your chickens. Today I'm scoping the area out for hubcaps to steal. Maybe you should train your dog to guard the chickens in case someone tries to steal the chickens."

Who said you were correct?

Reactions: abridge
I was flying over an inland waterway channel last weekend about 20 miles south of Cozumel. There are condos along the waterway. I was up about 100 feet and this elderly gentleman came over and asked me to land my drone because his wife was fearful that I was spying on her and taking her photos. I showed him the view that I had via my iPhone and told him that I never take any close-up photos of anyone without their permission. He said that his wife was also worried that I could crash the MP into her and injure her. I explained that if she is indoors (which he had told me she was) it would be pretty difficult for my MP to hit her. Finally I told him that I am a member of a drone pilots association (a bit of a stretch of what mavicpilots.com is) and that my drone was registered with the FAA and that eased his concerns a bit. Finally I invited him to try my Goggles which he did and he really liked them. He left and I never heard back from him or his neurotic wife.

The only problem I ever had was flying in a local park, at 400 feet so as not to bother people trying to enjoy the park on the weekend. Some lady had a bird, threatened to break my drone and asked me why didn't I go fly it at some place like an airport.

The public today is not the public of yesterday. I would always be careful and cautious, try to avoid confrontations, try to avoid flying over homes. I live in a rural area so I have a wide area in which to fly. But I try to stay over my own property most of the time or fly down roads to another pasture. I NEVER fly over one of my neighbors' homes and barely over the edges of their property lines. I think they respect that so we have a good relationship in regards to my drones. In fact, now they will call me and ask me to go take a look at something on their own properties or ask me to take a look when they are away. We once heard a big explosion sound and they asked me to take a look. It was a gas well head. There were crews of people managing it. I only saw it from a reasonable distance with the drone, would never have flown over the emergency site but we could tell what happened. The neighbors appreciated knowing what happened. It was a loud ongoing sound. Drones have an agricultural/ranching use now, it seems. It is handy to find a lost cow or see if a cow had a calf, if a gate is closed, if there is hay/water left. This is an ongoing development in the new era of drones. Many more uses will be developed and many more regulations. It is in flux. But not offending people is of the utmost importance as new rules are planned. Thank goodness, so far, the FAA authority takes precedence over local entities.

Reactions: macoman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000