DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching, landing pads and dogs

I have had a bite .......... Further away the better ......... I can imagine you lot juggling chain saws :p
Just bring it in slowly, backwards to you. When it is at eye level, just reach BENEATH the Mavic and grasp the body with your right hand. Keeping it in the same position. After you have a grip, just pull down on the throttle with your left hand. Drone is off and safe. I do it almost every time I fly.

I hold my hand out flat now and let the Air land on my hand. No grab required at all..... The Pro is a little big for that, so I still pinch the body for that.
Ian

I’m another “idiot” who likes to launch and land from my hand. I fly a lot near the beach and feel it’s better to keep my Mavic away from the sand. When landing I lay my palm out and extended from my body facing up and force land into my palm until the props stop turning. The only time It’s been tricky is when there’s a lot of wind. When that’s the case, I stand up wind from the AC when landing, just in case a gust of wind kicks up as it’s about to land in my palm. I do the same on hand take-offs. I have a landing pad, but never use it... wait... I sit on it to keep my shorts or pants clean

Last edited:
Reactions: Lonniex
I’m another “idiot” who likes to launch and land from my hand. I fly a lot near the beach and feel it’s better to keep my Mavic away from the sand. When landing I lay my palm out and extended from my body facing up and force land into my palm until the props stop turning. The only time It’s been tricky is when there’s a lot of wind. When that’s the case, I stand up wind from the AC when landing, just in case a gust of wind kicks up as it’s about to land in my palm. I do the same on hand take-offs. I have a landing pad, but never use it... wait... I sit on it to keep my shorts or pants clean
You're not an idiot at all! :)

Reactions: SD-Pilot
Why ??????????? A last resort that one ............ If the props catch you ........... Well need I explain .......... It only caught my finger super ouch a few cuts heavy bruising serves me right for being an idiot. :( Don't do it unless it's in desperation :oops: Not one of the better ideas I have come across :D

Or just do it properly and not stick your fingers in the props?

As to why for hand launch - long grass, dust, sand or no suitable area. No flat land, a moving platform like a boat or vehicle. Wet ground, especially if its salt water you dont want blown into it. Less chance of electrical cables, ducting, rebar or other buried bits of metal to screw up the compass. The MP sits so low to the ground even freshly cut grass can interfere with the props.

Hand landing - see above. Long grass, uneven or rocky ground, salt or fresh water, a moving platform, avoid getting dust and debris into the motors, props, gimbals.

I look to hand launch and recover as much as possible now - it eliminates a lot of the common causes of broken drones.

Reactions: Ian in London
I have to admit I was surprised at the lack of accuracy of the Mavic on auto RTH. I guess in my head I'd convinced myself that with it's optical vision sensors it really would be within an inch or two.....

Ive done some tests with this and have found that i get far better auto RTH accuracy if i use the automatic and precision take off rather than manually. To me it seems if i take off manually, even climbing very slowly its not as accurate. Some of this i think is it "jumps" a bit as it takes off amongst other things.

What i also found out is the landing area AROUND has to be constant too. If i was standing 2m or so away on takeoff then left the scene precision landing wasnt as accurate - presumably it was using me as a visual reference and not finding it.

Ive got the smallest landing pad and it nails it to an inch or 2 with precision takeoff in good light. With a manual of the same it can sometimes only get half on the mat. That initial few seconds of auto at lift off seem to make all the difference.

That's awesome!! At least your getting use out of that landing pad. LMAO

Reactions: SD-Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21