DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching updates?

So hand catching seems straightforward -if no mistakes. But how is Takeoff managed? If 2 hands are required to start motors, do you scoop up the unit in one hand after rotors spin up, hold high then initiate takeoff with the other? (I use left stick for takeoff, as I typically use landing pad) I would imagine that takeoff could be initiated from a much smaller platform.

So hand catching seems straightforward -if no mistakes. But how is Takeoff managed? If 2 hands are required to start motors, do you scoop up the unit in one hand after rotors spin up, hold high then initiate takeoff with the other? (I use left stick for takeoff, as I typically use landing pad) I would imagine that takeoff could be initiated from a much smaller platform.
Personally, I take a knee with my Mavic sitting on my right palm with the controller on the ground - and flick the auto-takeoff slider on Go4 with my left hand. Once the Mavic is in the air, I then pick up the controller and go ... I wouldn't suggest this method if you were in waders and water however! :D

Yes, this is the trickiest part. I have successfully done this two ways; first, I use my right elbow and my left fingers to push the two sticks together and down and then just push the left stick up, or second, I have used my left thumb to hit the auto takeoff and move the slider. It may seem strange, but for me the elbow technique is a bit easier. Actually, the easiest is what Foxhall mentioned, kneeling, but I was lazy and it was a bit more difficult to kneel down and get back up due to my ... uh...uh. extensive experience.

I am certain they work. Try putting your hand under it's belly while it is hovering, it will rise.

edit : OK, I now know that you meant the downward sensors will become non-functioning if the range is so close that your hand is basically touching it.
Yea, I actually tested it a few times and found the distance to be about 2 in (5 cm) or less.

some of these responses are absurd smh....it is not complicated.....you don't need to do a bunch of steps. all you have to do is just turn off "landing protection" in VPS settings... .now when hand catching simply fly the drone over to you (above head height then lower) this way sensors don't go off otherwise you will not be able to get it close to you lower the drone down .. and simply land it in your hand, it will not fight you, and will land soft as a feather.

Reactions: tmtwomey
some of these responses are absurd smh....it is not complicated.....you don't need to do a bunch of steps. all you have to do is just turn off "landing protection" in VPS settings... .now when hand catching simply fly the drone over to you (above head height then lower) this way sensors don't go off otherwise you will not be able to get it close to you lower the drone down .. and simply land it in your hand, it will not fight you, and will land soft as a feather.
Well - maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong? I bring my Mav' Pro in backwards, then using my left hand, I down-stick and the Mavic lowers itself. I keep down-stick firmly engaged. I put my right hand underneath, and when the Mav' touches my hand, I grip the sides. When I grip it, it rev's up (even though I still have down applied) and I have to keep a firm grip for about 2 seconds while it goes through this rev' up then shut-down procedure. However, I don't turn off the sensors ...
Are you saying that if turn off the landing sensors, and I just keep my hand flat, it will lower onto my hand and stop ???

Yes, your way is more straightforward to avoid any risk of the bird fighting you. The only downside is that you have to remember to re-enable land protection if you want to use it normally.

Last edited:
Just put your hand flat under your M2 and hold down the left stick, when it gets close it will go up a little then it will come down into your hand, keep holding the stick down until the rotors stop. Works every time for me.

Yes. This. It's incredibly simple. I use this method about two-thirds of the time.

For a visual reference:

Hand launch/catch

Reactions: ff22
Yes. This. It's incredibly simple. I use this method about two-thirds of the time.

For a visual reference:

Hand launch/catch
I am sure this method works for most of the time. The only risk is that if the drone drifts a bit due to a gust or somehow the position of your hand is off a bit, you may not be able to catch it and there will be no second chance. Trying to get hold of it while it is still in the flying state is less risky IMHO. If it unexpectedly drifts, you can always duck and try again.

Hand catching is pretty easy. It’s feels dicey at first but it is safe for you and your drone if you practice.

I don’t even know where my landing pad is.

If you want to keep going that way then try the plywood idea above. That’s brilliant. They also make some weighted pads.

I live hand catching and launching my Zoom, never had any problems, and I feel like I NEED a launch pad I just use the old roll out the beach mat (3ft x 5).

I am sure this method works for most of the time. The only risk is that if the drone drifts a bit due to a gust or somehow the position of your hand is off a bit, you may not be able to catch it and there will be no second chance. Trying to get hold of it while it is still in the flying state is less risky IMHO. If it unexpectedly drifts, you can always duck and try again.

I actually find the opposite to be true, catching the drone while in hover causes the motors to rev in compensation of the forces you're applying to the body. It's disconcerting when the drone starts lurching as it tries to stabilize itself while you're holding it. Plus, you can only get to that point if you sneak in and grab the drone without tripping the downward sensors which makes it bounce up from your hand.

The method presented in the video is as gentle as someone laying a book in your open hand. Hand open and flat directly beneath the body, pulling down on left stick. It senses your hand as if it was the ground then settles down directly into it.

Its also not true that you wouldn't have a second chance if your first attempt doesn't work. The drone is trying to land. Push the left stick up and the landing process halts immediately, the drone goes back into a hover. Since you're catching it above your eye level you've got plenty of time to arrest the gentle descent.

Reactions: GACUK
I actually find the opposite to be true, catching the drone while in hover causes the motors to rev in compensation of the forces you're applying to the body. It's disconcerting when the drone starts lurching as it tries to stabilize itself while you're holding it. Plus, you can only get to that point if you sneak in and grab the drone without tripping the downward sensors which makes it bounce up from your hand.

The method presented in the video is as gentle as someone laying a book in your open hand. Hand open and flat directly beneath the body, pulling down on left stick. It senses your hand as if it was the ground then settles down directly into it.

Its also not true that you wouldn't have a second chance if your first attempt doesn't work. The drone is trying to land. Push the left stick up and the landing process halts immediately, the drone goes back into a hover. Since you're catching it above your eye level you've got plenty of time to arrest the gentle descent.
This is why if u turn off "landing protection" in vps settings u will not have a problem with catching the drone in a hover..... I mean there shouldn't be any other time you should try to catch your drone besides a hover. Anyways i keep landing protection off i find it a useless setting....i dont need to be asked if i want to land when it is descending already under my control....obviously u don't need this except for if u were on a boat maybe....and if you are hand catching it u definitely do not need it because u will never even get to use the setting....so keeping it off allows me to grab it with out waiting with my hand underneath, or having it rise up , and no revving up when u do grab drone... It just shuts down super soft

Takeoff from your hand.

RC in a strap around the neck gives a hand free.

The physical switch for Flight Mode is set to P-Mode. At green light, start the motors with the free hand, no problem reaching both joysticks with one hand.

Switch off P-Mode to T-Mode with the physical switch.

Now you can very softly lift the drone from your hand via the left joystick and then use both joysticks.

And then back to P-Mode when the drone are ready, nomber satellites more then 10, battery temp ower 24.6, and so on.

You don’t have to avoid the sensors, as mentioned above, they are non-functioning at close range.

Of course sensors work on close range, that's the whole point of (some) of the sensors.

Just turn of landing protection and hand landing is easy without any issues.

Of course sensors work on close range, that's the whole point of (some) of the sensors.

Just turn of landing protection and hand landing is easy without any issues.
Not at 2 in (5 cm) or less. Try it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hand catching revisited: I viewed this hand catch video & gave it a try. When I tried to reach my M2p as shown in the video, the sensors caused the unit to lurch up when it sensed my hand. And on one practice run my M2P kept lurching up, and I made a couple of soft grab attempts. Then a red warning started flashing on the SC, & the aircraft made a forced landing, almost landing on top of me. Fortunately I was on my back deck, so it was a clean landing on a flat surface. Had I been out in the field, that might have been a bad landing. I've never seen this. Any idea what that might have been?

Hand catching was fairly easy with the front catch method shown in the video. But the down sensors would not tolerate my hand presence. Perhaps from hand MOVEMENT? I was only able to (lightly) grab hold from a frontal position, reaching past the gimbal on each side, and worried about contacting the gimbal. Video did not mention disabling sensors, but my unit would not allow the underside grab as shown. Yet, it certainly working smoothly in the video. Maybe the trick is to hold hand motionless like a landing pad, and avoid upward movement. I thought I used the same technique as shown in video, with the sensors reacting differently. Any suggestions from the experts?

In many locations hand catching seems the best option, but with multiple hand/finger injuries from past "misadventures" I tend to be very careful. Thanks

Hand catch video:

Reactions: scoble08
Hand catching revisited: I viewed this hand catch video & gave it a try. When I tried to reach my M2p as shown in the video, the sensors caused the unit to lurch up when it sensed my hand. And on one practice run my M2P kept lurching up, and I made a couple of soft grab attempts. Then a red warning started flashing on the SC, & the aircraft made a forced landing, almost landing on top of me. Fortunately I was on my back deck, so it was a clean landing on a flat surface. Had I been out in the field, that might have been a bad landing. I've never seen this. Any idea what that might have been?

Hand catching was fairly easy with the front catch method shown in the video. But the down sensors would not tolerate my hand presence. Perhaps from hand MOVEMENT? I was only able to (lightly) grab hold from a frontal position, reaching past the gimbal on each side, and worried about contacting the gimbal. Video did not mention disabling sensors, but my unit would not allow the underside grab as shown. Yet, it certainly working smoothly in the video. Maybe the trick is to hold hand motionless like a landing pad, and avoid upward movement. I thought I used the same technique as shown in video, with the sensors reacting differently. Any suggestions from the experts?

In many locations hand catching seems the best option, but with multiple hand/finger injuries from past "misadventures" I tend to be very careful. Thanks

Hand catch video:
If you slide your hand in horizontally within two inches (5 cm) of the body the sensors do not react at all. I prefer to do it from the front since the spinning propellers are further away from your hand.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Why don't you listen to me and turn off the landing protection.
All problems solved.
Thnx. I prefer not to disable protections as I will forget to re-enable for times when I need them. And I may not always hand catch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLEKOK