DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching

I hand catch like in the video below. Basically, you set it to hover where you can reach it and grasp it in front of the downward sensors so it will maintain hover. Then push left stick down. The MP does not detect more downward movement so it assumes it has landed and shuts off the motors.

I tried this today with my Pro Platinum. Absolutely the best way for this bird. I realized from the video that it’s all about the orientation of your hand.... the over the head, upward pinch technique. Solid!

FYI... on a cold day, I lick my fingers for a better grip.

Somewhere there is an official literature saying not to hand launch or land a mavic pro.

Catching can be tough because there is not much to hang on to. You also need to avoid the sensors on the bottom.

I grab hold and rapidly rotate the craft 90 degrees to kill the motors. I saw a video about something with the left stick, but that doesn’t do anything for me. Settings?

I do this only when the wind is up, mainly to protect my rear props.

Am I doing something horrible to my bird?
There are several YouTube clips on how to palm hans Launch/Land.
Rotating drone as you do does cause motors to escalate in speed software reaction thinking it's about to crash.
Palm launch & land preferable as software expects and does everything expected as though it were landing on the ground ref motor shutdown normally on touch down.
Personally I always now Palm launch/land my Mav 2 and from a standpoint looks cool **

If you turn off Landing Protection, the Mavic will not try to ascend when you place your hand under it. You could then easily grab it and hold the throttle in the full down position (or do a CSC) to turn off the motors.
He is right. Turn off the sensors and your life will be a lot easier with hand launches and captures.
Practice a lot in open areas.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Somewhere there is an official literature saying not to hand launch or land a mavic pro.

Catching can be tough because there is not much to hang on to. You also need to avoid the sensors on the bottom.

I grab hold and rapidly rotate the craft 90 degrees to kill the motors. I saw a video about something with the left stick, but that doesn’t do anything for me. Settings?

I do this only when the wind is up, mainly to protect my rear props.

Yep. That's the way to do it.

Am I doing something horrible to my bird?

Nope.

D

Got popped for the first time last weekend, mostly due to stupidity on my part. Took off from a small balcony and was having trouble getting it back. Instead of turning off the sensors, I tried to back it in. Sensors kicked in at the last minute and I instinctively reached for it. Ouch! Minimal blood but visible markings 8 days later. Good thing is, I respect it more now!

Got popped for the first time last weekend, mostly due to stupidity on my part. Took off from a small balcony and was having trouble getting it back. Instead of turning off the sensors, I tried to back it in. Sensors kicked in at the last minute and I instinctively reached for it. Ouch! Minimal blood but visible markings 8 days later. Good thing is, I respect it more now!

I finally got bit. Gusty wind. Even can see the fingers get wacked in video. Then the shaking of the stinging hand is also caught as I walk back to my gear. My finger tips were still tingling at 10 pm.

I finally got bit. Gusty wind. Even can see the fingers get wacked in video. Then the shaking of the stinging hand is also caught as I walk back to my gear. My finger tips were still tingling at 10 pm.
I think I speak for all of us when i say that we need to see that video:)

Reactions: Ren57
I hand catch mine all the time. No twisting or anything, or need to turn off sensors.

1. Hover at eye height
2. Hold out your hand flat under bottom of drone
3. Drone will rise up about 1ft due to bottom sensors
4. Pull down left stick fully keeping hand in position.
5. Drone will land on your hand and switch motors off automatically.

(Be careful to keep your hand flat and not to stick your fingers up or theyll hit the props which hurts a bit. It's like feeding a horse.)
How many hands do you have?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid