DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand landing drone question

chukovskij

Reactions
Hi, I did many hand launch/land Air 2 recently while was using it in the mountains. To hand-land I hold my hand below the drone and press 'land' icon on the phone. I've noticed that it often warns that it isn't safe to land and shows Yes/No confirmation dialog, so confirm landing and everything is ok. But sometimes it just shows cannot land error (without any choice, just OK button). When such error is shown and how to avoid it? I hand land the drone in normal/tripod mode, is it helpful to do it in a sport mode?

Reactions: Jane Duff
Thank you, worried about it... being a very novice. Left stick only straight down will land the Air 2 even if it's trying to avoid me? Like it is trying to go up to avoid colliding with my hand?

I don't mean to question any of your ability... but I just want to be sure I've got it right. Many thanks.

Left stick only straight down will land the Air 2 even if it's trying to avoid me? Like it is trying to go up to avoid colliding with my hand?
Assuming that the MA2 behaves on the same way as the Mini and M2P. If your hand was less than 50cm below the drone then what you are seeing is probably the landing protection system kicking in and pefectly normal.
With the left stick/throttle held down/closed it will, after a second or so, descend onto your hand.
KEEP YOU FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY OF THE PROPS.
Hold the throttle closed until the motors stop. Make sure you hand is level.!

How do I check this bit...
Assuming that the MA2 behaves on the same way as the Mini and M2P.
Can anyone confirm... please?
Thank you.

What bit concerns you,
a) the lifting as your hand appears underneath the drone or
b) the closing the throttle/left stick down to land it or
c) both?

Tha last 40 seconds or so of this are somewhat relevant
Thanks for the video, I haven't tried this yet but that makes it look so easy.

It is easy though initially you will find it stressful.
If I where to criticise that video it would be that he does make it look too easy. Taking off from your hand whilst NOT watching the drone may be cool viewing but not recommendable.
Keep in mind is that those props hurt if they hit you, so don't get complacent. The props will bite you if you do.
It gets a bit more stressful if there is wind. Perversely, in windy condition I prefer to hand catch a Phantom as they can, in wind, flip on landing on the ground etc.
I actually hand catch the Mini and M2P with my fingers slightly cupped so that the drone descends into the cup and can not slide off my hand. With the Mini it is almost routine and quite satisfying, with an M2P I am much more careful about finger position.
You also have to allow for the length of the props and keeping them clear of the inside of your wrist/forearm so don't try it initial much below shoulder height.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I check this bit...
Assuming that the MA2 behaves on the same way as the Mini and M2P.
Can anyone confirm... please?
I will also confirm that the MA2 behaves like the M2P and the Mini when hand-landing.

As it’s descending into your hand, it will pause for two seconds when it detects the obstruction (your hand). Just keep the left stick down during this pause, and it will gently land. It’s important to keep the stick down, as some models will continue to spin the props longer than others:
  • My MA2 and Mini shutdown within a second of touching my hand.
  • My M2P can take up to five seconds to power down, so you’ll want to be patient for this part.

That's still gruesome.
That was a result that was entirely my own stupid fault in my first week of flying my MA2. Tried catching it from above instead of below. Oooops! It has taken 6 weeks to heal and is still a little sore in the nerve endings. Despite my accident, I hand catch & launch often now as per my Aussie friend in the video above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78