DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handling hostile members of the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did take the guy's advice in the video. I created an "official" looking badge and will be getting a yellow safety vest..found some drone specific ones on Amazon. :). (and yes, I know the working in yellow has operation instead of operate. I already fixed it.)

View attachment 123280
Is electiccitydrones.com an actual site?

Should try flying through an electric companys easement with peoples properties around. If I am not flying on my own property I wear my reflective vest and hard hat just like on a job site. The more you stand out it seems the less people seem to worry. We get a lot of people asking questions. I have not had to deal with anyone raising hell yet. One of the guys I work with had their M210v2 shot down by a 12ga shotgun. Made national news.

Have had property owners let us in their property to make it to towers we could not get to. When you are doing industrial work with an M210 or M600 there is no stealth. The big birds are large and loud. Sometimes it is nice to be out in the middle of nowhere.Eagle.jpg

This guy does a fairly good job of dealing with a belligerent and uneducated member of the public.

I always launch from public property. Never launch from private property. If you're on public property, you can tell him ( ( Mod Removed Inappropriate Remark) I've had folks approach me many times over the years. Twice people were (Mod Removed Langage)about it. The first time I was shooting construction just like you were. I called the cops FOR the first guy (who threatened to call the cops on me). I told him, "Here, let me save you a call." I told the 911 operator, "I just had a gentlemen threaten to discharge a firearm in city limit to shoot my drone out of the sky." He left in a HURRY.

Another time a couple rolled up on me because I had launched from the street in front of their house. They were ( Mod Removed Remark)They called the cops. The cops showed up. I showed them what I was doing (traffic analysis that time). I showed them the video. I told them that I offered to explain everything to the old couple but they didn't want anything to do with it. Eventually, the FOUR cops left.

If ever someone gets on the defensive I just disarm them with kindness. I show them my rig. I show them what I'm doing. I show them the video. Whatever they want to see. That works 95% of the time.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Should try flying through an electric companys easement with peoples properties around. If I am not flying on my own property I wear my reflective vest and hard hat just like on a job site. The more you stand out it seems the less people seem to worry. We get a lot of people asking questions. I have not had to deal with anyone raising hell yet. One of the guys I work with had their M210v2 shot down by a 12ga shotgun. Made national news.

Have had property owners let us in their property to make it to towers we could not get to. When you are doing industrial work with an M210 or M600 there is no stealth. The big birds are large and loud. Sometimes it is nice to be out in the middle of nowhere.View attachment 123310
Great idea with the helmet & vest!

The whole stealth vs out in the open this is interesting to me as it crosses over with another hobby of mine, storm chasing. Chasers, when they start (and continually, if they make a media venture out of it) tend to try to stand out as much as possible with lots of logos and vehicle wraps and blinky lightbar. “Look at me, I’m a chaser, wow!” is the effect they are going for.
Chasers with a decade or two under their belt tend to go the exact opposite route. No logos, no lights, maybe a small decal somewhere that only other chasers would recognize as being a chaser thing. You don’t want the attention any more, you just want to chase in peace and not worry about Cling-ons following you into something dangerous that they have no idea how to get out of, or the state trooper stopping you to ask you what the weather’s gonna do, etc.

I’m very new to drones and while I’m not hiding I’m not trying to stand out either. I want to concentrate on what I’m doing when I fly, not have conversations with curious or maybe even aggressive people. I’ve already had landowners in the middle of nowhere flip out and try to get me in trouble for parking and operating a drone from a highway easement a few hundred feet from their property, and I’ve only been doing this for a month and only have maybe 4 hours of fly time. I get that people are paranoid about drones, that’s why I avoid drawing attention while I’m flying them.

This guy does a fairly good job of dealing with a belligerent and uneducated member of the public.

Yep, this fellow Filipino did a good job of keeping calm, not getting intimidated, standing his ground and knowing what is legal Thumbswayup ;)

Filipinos are generally very compliant and obedient with the laws of countries we either visit or live in.

In fact, there is a joke here that we are more obedient when we are overseas or in other countries than when we are here in the Philippines ?

Going to take a bit to clean this up but will. 7E548CDC-DC54-4512-BC43-7F88F71E08E4.png

Reactions: Thomas B and A.O.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb