DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hands on landing

787droneflyer

Reactions
How do I retrieve the drone by hand and shut the thing down? Yesterday I did this and the motors went to high speed and tried to fly away. I held on and the drone finally gave up and shutdown. I need to do this so I can use the Mavic from my boat. Any suggestions?

Here's one way to do it:

Make sure your VPS (downward sensors) off as well as the landing protection sensors. If you come up underneath the MP and try to grab the drone, those sensors will see your hand as an obstacle and try to fly away. Hence the reason your rotors started to speed up.

If you do this, remember to turn them back on cuz if you don't, when you try to do a traditional landing on driveway, etc., your MP won't sense the ground as it bears it and you may have a rough landing.

Reactions: Jim596
Here's one way to do it:

When he says throttle down, is he meaning exactly that (left stick only, directly down) ? Or is it that other two sticks down and inward movement? Thanks in advance

You dont really need to disable landing protection, nor VPS.
Simply land it on your open hand with down stick, rather than reaching up and grabbing it.
Try it , its simple.

Search. 4-5 threads have covered this topic.

Flying over water supposedly can give the VPS problems if u get too close to the water. When I launched and landed on a boat, I disabled the VPS just to be on the safe side (gave me peace of mind). I experienced no problems whatsoever.

And for hand take off just left stick up?
Yes. After doing a CSC, move the left stick to the full up position until the Mavic is 10 or so feet in the air.

Yes. After doing a CSC, move the left stick to the full up position until the Mavic is 10 or so feet in the air.
Little bit nervous on the hand take off, I used the csc method while on the ground to understand exactly what happens and I'm not sure exactly how I'd do that while my other hand held the mavic for take off. Just me worrying about being cut I guess [emoji23].. On another exciting note, I tried out the hand catching. It's super easy! Thanks!

You could get some type of lanyard mount and hook a neck strap to your remote controller. Or, maybe set your remote controller on the ground to free up your hand so you can do the CSC.

Check out how this guy braced the remote controller against his body while he did the CSC:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tharba07
You could get some type of lanyard mount and hook a neck strap to your remote controller. Or, maybe set your remote controller on the ground to free up your hand so you can do the CSC.

Check out how this guy braced the remote controller against his body while he did the CSC:

Yeah i figured something like this, I'll get there eventually! Thanks heaps

How do I retrieve the drone by hand and shut the thing down? Yesterday I did this and the motors went to high speed and tried to fly away. I held on and the drone finally gave up and shutdown. I need to do this so I can use the Mavic from my boat. Any suggestions?
This is actually quite simple. You do not need to disable VPS. I have done dozens of hand catches without issue. Simply bring the drone down and just in front of you about to 1' above and in front of your head. Then reach up to the drone (do not try to land it into your hand) and grab it just behind the front motor struts on the main body. Yes the motors will rev-up and the bird will try to escape. Move left stick down and wait 3 seconds while the MP tries to fly away and them motors will die. Always check to make sure no one is near you before you try this manuver.

Why not?

Landing into the hand

avoids
In my mind, I see a last second wind gust pushing the Mav just off center of my hand and falling off sideways with props spinning...... For me it seems just that much safer turning off Landing Protection and grabbing the Mav from below and killing the motors then. But, whatever makes you most comfortable is best I think.

In my mind, I see a last second wind gust pushing the Mav just off center of my hand and falling off sideways with props spinning...... For me it seems just that much safer turning off Landing Protection and grabbing the Mav from below and killing the motors then. But, whatever makes you most comfortable is best I think.

Neither way of doing this is safe. In ways they are similarly unsafe. Each has a unique aspect of unsafety. Both require patience, steadfastness, practice, and awareness of surrounding conditions if they are to be performed.

Little bit nervous on the hand take off, I used the csc method while on the ground to understand exactly what happens and I'm not sure exactly how I'd do that while my other hand held the mavic for take off. Just me worrying about being cut I guess [emoji23].. On another exciting note, I tried out the hand catching. It's super easy! Thanks!

If u use the auto takeoff function, then you just need to swipe with one hand.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sathwik