DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hangar 360 crash

farmboy999

Reactions
so...first ever issue with my Mavic was on my first flight (attempt) with this app. It took off..went up and went at about a 45 degree angle upwards into a tree:-( instead of straight up....didn't respond to any stick movements. Yes...i should have probably been in a more open area but it was clear straight up and probably a 60-70 foot radius. It almost cleared this 100 ft tree but caught one of the top limbs and came crashin down. Broke and arm and the gimble came off...who knows what else but other than the props looks ok. I'm gonna guess this is not covered by DJI refresh?

An insight on that process or other ways to repair would be appreciated.

PS...I feel stupid enough already so no need to reinforce that:)

PSS...if you are using this app....it takes off like a rocket and I don't think you can control it with the sticks although the FAQ says you could fly it except in sport mode. I should have had that switched on i guess.

I do think refresh will cover it, worth a try and please let us know if there is any pushback.

Gps lock issue perhaps?

All systems go..10 satellites. It just went up at an angle instead of straight up. I was assuming it would not be covered since I was using a 3rd party app? Not trying to cheat anyone or get something I don't deserve, but what do I tell DJI. Never had to file a claim before because this thing has been flawless.

All systems go..10 satellites. It just went up at an angle instead of straight up. I was assuming it would not be covered since I was using a 3rd party app? Not trying to cheat anyone or get something I don't deserve, but what do I tell DJI. Never had to file a claim before because this thing has been flawless.
No harm in trying.

I believe your DJI Refresh will NOT cover it unless they want to do a goodwill claim ...

from DJI ... (Bold by me)

Exclusions

DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:

1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.
2) Stolen, forgotten, or abandoned product.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions.
4) Remote controller, battery of Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 4 Advanced, and modification accessories.
5) Deliberate losses.
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.
7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
8) Replacement requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
10) Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.
11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.

Well crap..10 of 11 reasons should count for something. I'll just tell them I flew it into a tree and see what happens. I think if I could find the parts it would be an easy fix....but that's just me being me. I'd prob have a few parts left over as usual. .

they get it back they can tell anyways a 3rd party app was used. I have heard them go both ways. All I'm saying is just be honest and hope for mercy. Btw if you belong to healthydrones you can still sync your flight records so they can see what happened.

Worth talking to the Hangar360 folks to see what they suggest. Don't hesitate to phone rather than email. I've found this can get an answer much more effectively than email.

I just downloaded the app the other day and I have never used the Hanger app for take off. I start with Go4, fly to the location and elevation I want, close Go4, open Hanger and then start the snap shot routine at the current elevation.

After reading this report, I am going to continue to use my method.

Also, isn't 10 sats a moderate to weak signal? I thought 13 was minimum for a solid connection but I am probably misremembering.

I had the same problem - had two good flights with the app, tried to move to another location about 1/2 mile away and my Phantom 3 took off at high speed 3-4 feet off the ground and hit a tree, flipping upside down. NONE of the controls would allow me to do anything - I had to pull the battery out to stop the drone. I emailed all the details to the Hangar 360 folks and never heard back. Tried it again the other day after they updated the app and got mission failure twice in a row. At least the drone didn't take off. I was using the Phantom instead of the Mavic, because with THAT - it just flew to 4' feet and sat there...twice.

Strider - how do you just 'start the snap shot routine'? Also - do you kill the Go4 app in the background, or just close it and launch the hangar 360 app? I read in one spot where they said don't have both going at the same time, even in the background.

I just downloaded the app the other day and I have never used the Hanger app for take off. I start with Go4, fly to the location and elevation I want, close Go4, open Hanger and then start the snap shot routine at the current elevation.

Same here. I always check first the aircraft status in the DJI GO App; whether I fly Litchi, Hangar, Dronedeploy, Pix4D etc. and only then launch the other app. I do not trust third party apps for running a thorough & complete Mavic checkup (although maybe they do; I'm not happy to take chances).

I used the app for the first time yesterday. Took off ok, took the photos ok, uploaded the photos ok, no error messages but no 360 photo either ???

Strider - how do you just 'start the snap shot routine'? Also - do you kill the Go4 app in the background, or just close it and launch the hangar 360 app? I read in one spot where they said don't have both going at the same time, even in the background.

I use Go4 to take off and fly to the location and elevation I want. Then on my iPhone i press the home button to get to my apps, open Hanger 360, do the mission, then close Hanger 360 and reopen Go4. I do not "close" any apps, and by that I mean the double tap the iphone home button and start flicking apps to force close them.

Now this only works the first time you do it. If you close Hanger 360 and reopen Go4 then try to go back to Hanger 360, then Hanger 360 wont connect to your drone. Then I do a force close of Hanger 360 and reopen it and then it works.

I had similar with my P3P, first time use, I hit go and it just flipped over and crashed upside down, luckly no damage as it only went up about a foot and then flipped, so not sure weather to try it again on my Mavic.

Flack

Thanks Strider - I will try that. Flack, that's exactly what happened the 2nd and 3rd tries - just flipped upside down. Damaged propellers, and had to replace them, but that was it.

Also, isn't 10 sats a moderate to weak signal? I thought 13 was minimum for a solid connection but I am probably misremembering.
Exactly what I do also. Never had a problem doing it this way. And it is the only way to get a pano that is not directly over the launch spot.
This way I can position the Mavic where I want it before taking the pano. Then switch back to DJI Go when Hangar 360 is done.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
I tried this - went to 300 feet, started the Hangar app - and it stuck at taking image 1 of 23. Didn't move past that.

That's what makes me nervous about 3rd party apps. You have to retest after every firmware update.

Reactions: Warwick
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter