DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Happy camper with one irritating issue with Mavic

n0gga

Reactions
Hi everyone.

Had my Mavic for just over a week now, and haven't had a real chance to get to know it due to bad weather.
Got a couple of hours today and didn't hesitate to get my Mavic out.
The footage is great, have already put three videos out on Youtube.
All in all the Mavic performs great. No connectivity issues or dangerous situations.

But I'm experiencing a problem that really annoys me - jaw-drift while stationary, and a Mavic going diagonally when pulling right stick forward. The jaw seems to stabilise when giving it some time in the air, but it alternates between right and left direction. It irritates me when trying to get time-lapse material and pictures during night, but other than that it doesn't bother me to much.

The undoubtedly worst bit is the Mavic drifting sideways when going straight forward. This happened both left and right today, and I physically have to counteract it with the RC to stop it. And I'm telling you, that isn't easy without getting jerky footage.

Additional information: Compass is green and very low, IMU is green and very low (never calibrated since I've never been prompted) and RC calibration shows 0% in all directions when not in use.

HELP, this is the only thing that really bugs me, but in the end its an (hopefully) easy fix and luckily not (yet) a deal breaker. I'm adding a short video illustrating the diagonal drifting while going straight forward. YES, the stick is FORWARD, and not going to either side.

Thanks, Marius.

Even thought the IMU is in the low green I would calibrate it. It has now been pretty much been proven that DJI has batches of drones that they shipped out without proper calibration.

Rob

Even though you have never been prompted, I would recommend doing both the compass and IMU calibration processes. Then take it out for a flight to see if that corrects your issue.

Thanks a lot guys - will try a calibrations as soon as possible. Compass has been calibrated once due to an error message. Hopefully IMU calibration will fix this problem.
Will update here later!

Marius.

Also, have you tried calibrating the control sticks? If not, you should.

I've been having the exact same issue. Flying over a house build, and I see the same thing. I've also been correcting by the RC.
I haven't had a chance to calibrate the IMU or compass yet, but I plan to do that this weekend. Hopefully it fixes it.

Coming in with a little update here. Haven't calibrated anything yet, but I checked out the rest of my footage of yesterday.
The pictures below shows a main road that goes straight through my town, and you can clearly see that the camera is aiming in a different direction than the flightpath. But the funny thing is when i check the flight records, because it states that the drone was actually pointing to the right of the road...?
Found this thread: Why the mavic doesnt move in the exact straight path ? - here are multiple examples people suffering the same problem. Some actually assume that the camera/gimbal isn't pointing in a straight line. As said, next step now will be to calibrate, and then doublecheck whether the aircraft itself goes in a straight line. As i recall from yesterday, the aircraft actually drifted ever so slightly diagonally in a given direction, it wasn't the camera that was off.
Hoping for a solution to this, can't be to difficult!

Marius.

Here you can se my starting point. Aiming to the left of city hall (builind in front of roundabout)
IMG_0867.png

Here you can se where i ended up. Aircraft drifted to the right of intended path.
IMG_0869.png

Here you can clearly see that the arrow isn't alligned with what the camera sees.
Height is around 135 feet.
IMG_0870.png

Have you calibrated the gimbal, Marius?
Hi Nick.
No I haven't. Have just calibrated the compass once. Perhaps I should take som time to calibrate everything, and not just IMU and compass.
Will be getting back to this thread as soon as I've calibrated (at least IMU and compass) and give a report.

Thanks for your input!

Yes do calibrate everything, that way you know it's been done.

I have setup 2 mavics now and the cam calibration is a must. Afterwards you may just need to tweak the roll axis manually, for this i just put the mavic on a perfectly level work top and use a spirit level a few feet away to adjust to.

Reactions: n0gga
Additional information: Compass is green and very low, IMU is green and very low (never calibrated since I've never been prompted) and RC calibration shows 0% in all directions when not in use

I was having the exact same issue. And I also only calibrated when prompted because everything seemed great when I checked IMU and compass status in the Go4 app.

However, just for the heck of it, I calibrated everything one night. Compass, IMU, sticks, gimbal. Since then the problem has gone away. Definitely give it a try, but make sure you take your time to perform the calibrations slowly and accurately. That will make all the difference.

Hi Nick.
No I haven't. Have just calibrated the compass once. Perhaps I should take som time to calibrate everything, and not just IMU and compass.
Will be getting back to this thread as soon as I've calibrated (at least IMU and compass) and give a report.

Thanks for your input!
Did you find the solution ? i've exacltly the same problem !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada