DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed while flying drones

It probably would be better if you always fly your drone in accordance with the FAA regulations. If you simply decide to make up your own rules then you will likely make a mistake that would attract the attention of the FAA and, in doing so, also tarnish the reputation of the recreational drone flying community.

I agree. I refer to that map I saw online. It makes no mention that you can't fly over neighborhoods.

I agree. I refer to that map I saw online. It makes no mention that you can't fly over neighborhoods.

my understanding is that you are not supposed to fly over crowds in general. I also understand you're not supposed to fly over stadiums, natural disasters, jails, or any other secure location that is marked on the map. Am I mistaken anywhere?

Sorry, you are most probably correct. I was referring to some FAA documentation that looks like it's out of date and probably refers to Professional drone operations only - see link below.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

My main reason for replying to your post was the tone of it - "Everything else and anywhere else is open for me. If a plane can fly over your house so can I. P off. " The "if a plane can do it" thing made me wonder if you are serious about adhering to all of the FAA regulations.

In any case, if you're going to fly over densely populated residential areas it's going to be difficult to avoid flying over residents who are outside in their backyards or on the street. Just after sun-up would probably be the best time to fly over suburbs.

The whole "FAA Rules" landscape is totally annoying due to the many grey areas. Hopefully, there will be a lot more clarity when the dust settles and the new set of regulations are firmly in place.

Sorry, you are most probably correct. I was referring to some FAA documentation that looks like it's out of date and probably refers to Professional drone operations only - see link below.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

My main reason for replying to your post was the tone of it - "Everything else and anywhere else is open for me. If a plane can fly over your house so can I. P off. " The "if a plane can do it" thing made me wonder if you are serious about adhering to all of the FAA regulations.

In any case, if you're going to fly over densely populated residential areas it's going to be difficult to avoid flying over residents who are outside in their backyards or on the street. Just after sun-up would probably be the best time to fly over suburbs.

The whole "FAA Rules" landscape is totally annoying due to the many grey areas. Hopefully, there will be a lot more clarity when the dust settles and the new set of regulations are firmly in place.

Thanks for your reply. Does it say somewhere that I cannot fly over my neighborhood at, say, 100 feet?

Thanks for your reply. Does it say somewhere that I cannot fly over my neighborhood at, say, 100 feet?

Oh, I just read what you linked. So basically you're not allowed to fly "over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation." Um, yeah. So basically go fly your drone in a field somewhere and look at the daisies. The internet is full of beach flyovers, city flyovers, etc. I understand what the statute is trying to accomplish, but really?

I don't believe that it does but, if it was me, I wouldn't do it because of the high risk of flying over people. Someone might walk out their back door 2 seconds before I fly over their house and then inadvertently but nevertheless directly over that person.

Consider that scenario where the person on the ground makes a complaint and you are identified as the drone operator. The outcome could be that you end up being fined for breaking the "flying over people" regulation regardless of intent or lack thereof.

The other reason I wouldn't fly at 100 feet over my neighbourhood is the simple but unfortunate fact that it would annoy the majority of residents who just don't like to see drones flying over their houses. You might say "so what that's their problem, I'm not breaking any laws" but at the end of the day, it's our collective reputation as recreational drone operators that is being tarnished.

I don't believe that it does but, if it was me, I wouldn't do it because of the high risk of flying over people. Someone might walk out their back door 2 seconds before I fly over their house and then inadvertently but nevertheless directly over that person.

Consider that scenario where the person on the ground makes a complaint and you are identified as the drone operator. The outcome could be that you end up being fined for breaking the "flying over people" regulation regardless of intent or lack thereof.

The other reason I wouldn't fly at 100 feet over my neighbourhood is the simple but unfortunate fact that it would annoy the majority of residents who just don't like to see drones flying over their houses. You might say "so what that's their problem, I'm not breaking any laws" but at the end of the day, it's our collective reputation as recreational drone operators that is being tarnished.

I personally don't give much regard to whether someone is "annoyed," as this is subjective. Also, someone would have to video a drone directly above them for it to hold any water. A drone is constantly moving for the most part. Now, if some wacko pilot intentionally hovers or annoys a specific person, that's different. Wow. Thank God we have 'da 'gubment there to protect us.

The internet is full of beach flyovers, city flyovers, etc.

Yeah, and that's a big problem because the FAA pays people to search the internet for this type of content. At this current time when the FAA is drafting new regulations yet to be ratified and published, they are going to use internet content that clearly shows drone pilots breaking the rules as ammunition to come down hard with heavy restrictions.

But it's way too late now to change this unfortunate situation - the damage has already been done.

I personally don't give much regard to whether someone is "annoyed," as this is subjective. Also, someone would have to video a drone directly above them for it to hold any water. A drone is constantly moving for the most part. Now, if some wacko pilot intentionally hovers or annoys a specific person, that's different. Wow. Thank God we have 'da 'gubment there to protect us.

But that is exactly how it would happen. Someone could take a picture of your drone directly overhead (and it wouldn't be difficult to do) and that's all they would need to have you prosecuted. And of course someone being annoyed is subjective - that's the whole point for cripes sake.

Last edited:
luckily I have never been approached, I have very little patience for petty people.

I think it's stupid. Okay then, I don't want any airplanes at all to fly over my house. There. I'm taking a photo of the next one and pursuing it.

I think it's stupid. Okay then, I don't want any airplanes at all to fly over my house. There. I'm taking a photo of the next one and pursuing it.

Ok, so take a breath and chill out. Just please remember to do yourself and the rest of us a favour by always following FAA regulations and taking into account how the general public would view your actions when flying your drone.

Ok, so take a breath and chill out. Just please remember to do yourself and the rest of us a favour by always following FAA regulations and taking into account how the general public would view your actions when flying your drone.
Maybe I'll move to the moon. That's the only place I can fly where there's no chance of flying over anybody. smh

I'm very chilled out. I'm just telling you that the only place I'll be flying my drone WILL NOT be in a field somewhere over cows.

I'm very chilled out. I'm just telling you that the only place I'll be flying my drone WILL NOT be in a field somewhere over cows.

In case you didn't read all of my previous post - please remember to do yourself and the rest of us a favour by always following FAA regulations and taking into account how the general public would view your actions when flying your drone.

Maybe I'll move to the moon. That's the only place I can fly where there's no chance of flying over anybody. smh

What - do you live in the centre of a big city CBD with no means whatsoever to be able to travel to a place where there are none or hardly any people around? There are literally hundreds of drone pilots who contribute to this forum, let alone all of the others who don't, who could tell you about their hundreds of flights at places where there were no people around or, if there were, how easy it was to avoid flying directly over them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk