DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed while flying drones

I'm very chilled out. I'm just telling you that the only place I'll be flying my drone WILL NOT be in a field somewhere over cows.

Now hold on a minute, I've taken my best video over a field with cows. Think about it. It's the solution to all this talk about flying over people. Cows don't care, and they won't report you. Flying around people is problematic at best. Find a place in the country if you can. I agree with Crystal-Pete. Try and follow the FAA rules as best you can. The damage has already happened. We just hope for the best outcome.

Attachments

• flyin' over cows.jpg
    flyin' over cows.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 39
I posted before about a Security guard harassing me. I know he was wrong on all accounts so I pushed back and he folded like a cheap circus tent. But then I'm 6'3" 230 lbs so that works to my advantage I suppose. In the future I'll respond that they are harassing me while I'm flying a mission and that is considered a crime. Then we can see how they respond to that.

so far, I have had very good experiences. I try very hard not to fly around people, even if I am in the right, to fly in the location that I want to. if someone is there, then I go somewhere else.

if people are present then I ask them if they have any issues with me flying my drone. they have said no, and usually hang around and watch me fly, take pictures, some have ask me to video them and their kids. (i delete the pictures after they left, because they did not want the pictures.) I always ask if there are people present, even if I am legal to fly in the area. I do have my Part 107 license.

How difficult was the test?

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.

so far, I have had very good experiences. I try very hard not to fly around people, even if I am in the right, to fly in the location that I want to. if someone is there, then I go somewhere else.

if people are present then I ask them if they have any issues with me flying my drone. they have said no, and usually hang around and watch me fly, take pictures, some have ask me to video them and their kids. (i delete the pictures after they left, because they did not want the pictures.) I always ask if there are people present, even if I am legal to fly in the area. I do have my Part 107 license.
Mark:
We live in a world, particularly in California, where everyone seems to be looking to control others and searching for a reason to be offended.
I have been approached a couple times... one person was just curious, one was rude... He shouted "You're not allowed to fly that noisy thing here...its not allowed" (I was flying on vacant land with some interesting hills, adjacent to a freeway, flying a Mini 2... mind you.
I spoke to him softly and said I am a licensed FAA drone pilot... then he interrupted me... saying "speak up!"
I said... why do I need to speak up, and he said "the traffic is loud" I looked at him and said... so obviously you can't hear my noisy drone then... have a nice day sir.

Mark:
We live in a world, particularly in California, where everyone seems to be looking to control others and searching for a reason to be offended.
I have been approached a couple times... one person was just curious, one was rude... He shouted "You're not allowed to fly that noisy thing here...its not allowed" (I was flying on vacant land with some interesting hills, adjacent to a freeway, flying a Mini 2... mind you.
I spoke to him softly and said I am a licensed FAA drone pilot... then he interrupted me... saying "speak up!"
I said... why do I need to speak up, and he said "the traffic is loud" I looked at him and said... so obviously you can't hear my noisy drone then... have a nice day sir.
BirthdayMarkll,
Try this approach, it has worked well for me.
B 52-D
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails➰

Attachments

• E9A99945-6A77-4025-9F7D-BCDDFC75A9B7.jpeg
    E9A99945-6A77-4025-9F7D-BCDDFC75A9B7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Desert Sands
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads