DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed while flying drones

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.
Next time just simply pull out your phone and call 911, it will either scare them off or the cops can come and deal with them.

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc)
Did you ask him to explain why it was not legal to fly there? I usually start there as 1)it shows the other person that you are interested in their concerns and 2) it usually shuts them down as they seldom can support their claim.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting."
Had something like this happen to me. Was told I was scaring the deer. I explained I was 200' in the air and his immediate response was, I know how high you were! At that point I did not handle the situation correctly and told him if he would point out the deer to me, I'd avoid them. Not the worse response but perhaps not the best. This was also something like 3 years ago.

I had a worse situation. I was flying legally from a public road over leased land. Person drove out on her 4 wheeler and started to yell at me. I was with my parents at the time. I told her I'd have a conversation with her but she would need to stop shouting at me. She just kept shouting. She yelled that they owed the land. I told her she did not, she leased it and I was on a public road (Cow Dung Road). I told her I was not going to have a conversation with her if she was only going to continue to yell. I told her she was welcome to call the police. She then took both her hands and physically hit the controller from my hands to the ground. Instinctively I grabbed her neck (not in a choke, only to control her body) and sat her back onto her butt. This did not hurt her in any way, it was just a way to get her to sit down as I did not know what she was going to do as she had already hit me. I told her that the situation was now different and that she needed to leave and I was leaving as well. Keep in mind, this all happened in a second. I told my dad to grab a camera and start recording (he did not know how so I needed to get a camera). I then realized that my drone was still hovering. I brought it back and landed. Meanwhile she was trying to "tell" my parents that I assaulted her. They said that they saw her hit me. When I set her on the ground I think she realized that she made a mistake. I packed up and we left. I was very disappointed that this had happened.

If want to fly and someone else is around I'll always ask them if they don't mind that I fly my drone. It changes _everything_. I've put them in control and now they would be taking something away from me if they were to say no. They don't start off on the offense. It also makes me a person and not just a annoying drone.

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.
Guess I'm lucky to be a big guy

Just bring some pepper spray next time you fly... Just in case some other aggressive punk shows up. After a dosage, or two, he will sing another song entirely, no matter how big he is. In any case he won't be able to stop you from driving away with, at least, some satisfaction

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

Does this surprise you, we live in Commifornia

Are you SURE there wasnt any local regulations where you were flying? Many parks are going the "no drones" route. These local parks will NOT show up on maps as NFZ's. Double check and save yourself a possible ticket!
Good Luck!

I’m afraid it’ll get worse. I bought one of those bright greenish yellow safety vests that says something like “certified FAA pilot, DO NOT DISTURB” on the back. I’ll see how that works out.

My next door neighbor (nice enough guy) heard my drone and came over to my fence. When he saw it was mine he said “oh ok, it’s you. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some schmuck filming people”. Why do people assume that all drone pilots are out to spy on them???

If you were using your metal detector they would say you were tearing up the grass. Some people just dont like hobbies.

You guys disappoint me. I would have thought the correct response from an American, would have been to pull out your sidearm and shoot him. Then chuck the body in the river and job done.:p

Seriously though, I've only had positive people approach me to ask questions about flying, not to harass me. Maybe my size of 115 kg has something to do with it or maybe Aussies aren’t as agro as elsewhere

Maybe you could just tell them that people aren’t permitted to approach drone operators due to safety concerns.

I know how an aggressive person can spoil a pilot's day. I was flying over a remote canyon and was sure that I was the only person for miles. Just as I was about to land a woman drove up and accused me of spying on her. The drone was so far from her that only after looking at the footage later did I see a small dot that was probably her. I had not noticed her on the monitor. She threatened to take the chair I had been using while flying and smash my drone with it. I stayed calm, told her that after I landed I would be able to discuss the issue with her. She left in a huff, drove over to where my wife was enjoying the shade of a tree and ordered her to tell her husband to quit spying on women. I have not been back to that place, one of my favorite places to fly, since that unpleasant experience.

Let my point out that this is only one such experience out of dozens of flights so I try to not let it spoil my enjoyment of flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13