DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody seen this red Icon before?

I have noticed that alarm icon recently when I flew the MM straight up a hundred feet. I would rotate the controller so the antennas were perpendicular to the location of the MM and the red icon would go away.
If I relaxed and the antennas became non-perpendicular to the MM, the red icon would return.
I don't know if my situation is related, but this worked for me.

I personally think it’s the “drones” compass that needs calibrating.

Well, it seems to be correct on the map.

Yep. I had it a few times. The app is telling the you that the compass needs calibrating. Problem is...there is no compass in the wifi only model. I need a wifi/cellular version.

This assumption is incorrect. iPads do have a compass even if they don’t have the actual app for it. That’s why Apple Maps and Google Maps direction work. The compass and gyroscope is required for AR, so it’s unlikely Apple would leave both out on the modern iPads. Not sure how you would calibrate the compass though, you might need to install a third-party compass app to trigger calibration.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and geneg
I have had this come up several times too. From what I have learned, it is not related to GPS, but rather compass on phone/connected device. If you've been standing relatively still the phone may lose its internal bearing. Advice is to move it in a small figure-8 to reorient the device.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
OK so this thread sure has a lot of different opinions. So 1 month and 20 flights in, I haven't had the need to look at the orientation icon till reading this thread. I don't think I ever looked at it till yesterday and It's not working correctly. I calibrated the IMU? and the compass. It doesn't properly display orientation. The drone arrow doesn't point at me sometimes even moves down around to the bottom of the arc. Rebooting everything in the proper order doesn't help. I got it to work for about 20 sec then it was all over the place. An other thread here said he talked to DJI about it and told him they were working on it.

I agree with Old Man Mavic, I use the wi-fi only Apple Mini and it is never consistent so I use the map for orientation. I have tried all suggestions I’ve seen on the forum except the belt resolution but I fly with gym shorts that don’t have a belt and I still have the same intermittent issue. My dad suggested that I try standing on my right foot while singing Auld Lang Syne but I don’t know all the words....
Here you go.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
And days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne
We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit
Sin days of auld lang syne
We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn
Frae morning sun till dine
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
For auld lang syne
And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp
And surely I'll be mine
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

Reactions: Tentoes
That icon is to let you know the phones compass it not getting a good signal.. next time you see it just rotate the whole controller to the right oe left real fast and watch it come back .. I been watching this on my iphone xr that trick works every time for me .

This assumption is incorrect. iPads do have a compass even if they don’t have the actual app for it. That’s why Apple Maps and Google Maps direction work. The compass and gyroscope is required for AR, so it’s unlikely Apple would leave both out on the modern iPads. Not sure how you would calibrate the compass though, you might need to install a third-party compass app to trigger calibration.
Yes you do. I use Compass X

Here you go.

And never brought to mind?
And days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne
We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit
We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn
Frae morning sun till dine
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
For auld lang syne
And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp
And surely I'll be mine
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

If your having this problem with the Orientation not correct, try this.
My orientation has never worked so I’ve tried a few things. I’m using an iphone XR and an iPad mini 4.
Switch the screen to map mode and that aircraft orientation arrow is always correct. So you can use that to orient the drone pointing back to your position and fly straight back to your location. Even though the orientation icon on the bottom of the screen is pointing in a wrong heading, the map screen pointer has always been correct.

So that tells me that dji is using two separate systems for these two features. Wonder why?

If your having this problem with the Orientation not correct, try this.
My orientation has never worked so I’ve tried a few things. I’m using an iphone XR and an iPad mini 4.
Switch the screen to map mode and that aircraft orientation arrow is always correct. So you can use that to orient the drone pointing back to your position and fly straight back to your location. Even though the orientation icon on the bottom of the screen is pointing in a wrong heading, the map screen pointer has always been correct.

So that tells me that dji is using two separate systems for these two features. Wonder why?

They are not using two separate systems. The map is only the drones position and orientation relating to the map. If the drone's GPS and compass are working, the map should be perfect. The other system relies on those PLUS the phone orientation and (GPS if available). So if DJI is not getting the right compass information from the phone (either because the phone isn't sending it properly, permissions are not given, or DJI has a software issue) it won't work right. Then add in the accuracy level as his is particularly troublesome when the phone and drone are close to each other, because GPS isn't always perfectly accurate -- so if the drone is a foot or two in front of you, it may think it is a foot or two behind you.

If you never it get it to work, make sure that the compass and DJI apps are both given permission to location services (compass will need it all the time) and then calibrate the iphone compass.

Yea, I think there's something wrong with the feature. The map works properly and that's all we had with Go4. Maybe it's something that will be fixed on an update. Yes, I've checked the permissions, calibrations and contusions.

Yea, I think there's something wrong with the feature. The map works properly and that's all we had with Go4. Maybe it's something that will be fixed on an update. Yes, I've checked the permissions, calibrations and contusions.
I agree. I had zero issues with my orientation icon on my first MA2, worked perfectly every flight. When i got my replacement, 1.1.5 had been released so i downloaded it. Orientation has never worked since. Never changed any phone settings or permissions between drones. I think its 1.1.5.

I have read in other groups that this is a known problem with DJI's software, they are aware of it and are working on a fix for it.

They are not using two separate systems. The map is only the drones position and orientation relating to the map. If the drone's GPS and compass are working, the map should be perfect. The other system relies on those PLUS the phone orientation and (GPS if available). So if DJI is not getting the right compass information from the phone (either because the phone isn't sending it properly, permissions are not given, or DJI has a software issue) it won't work right. Then add in the accuracy level as his is particularly troublesome when the phone and drone are close to each other, because GPS isn't always perfectly accurate -- so if the drone is a foot or two in front of you, it may think it is a foot or two behind you.

If you never it get it to work, make sure that the compass and DJI apps are both given permission to location services (compass will need it all the time) and then calibrate the iphone compass.
This doesn’t make any sense. How is the orientation on the map correct and the orientation on the icon Wrong if they are using the same data?
And, we have all made sure the app has location services enabled, compass calibrated and are still getting wrong info on the icon on the bottom of the screen.
The GO app with the MA1 was always perfect. Now everyone is having issues with this new app. Why did dji change a perfectly good feature.

This doesn’t make any sense. How is the orientation on the map correct and the orientation on the icon Wrong if they are using the same data?
And, we have all made sure the app has location services enabled, compass calibrated and are still getting wrong info on the icon on the bottom of the screen.
The GO app with the MA1 was always perfect. Now everyone is having issues with this new app. Why did dji change a perfectly good feature.

As I explained, the the map is the position relative to the earth. It requires:
1) Drone position (from drone's GPS)
2) drone's heading (from drone's compass).

The orientation icon requires:
1) Drone position (same as the map)
2) drone's heading (same as the map)
3) Phone's position
4) Phone's heading

So it's not a different "system" just more inputs.
It's the 3rd and 4th that are causing issues, either due to phone issues or DJI bug. It works for me, but obviously doesn't work for a ton of people, so something is wrong. And yes, the Go 4 app seemed to have less issues in this area, although I never paid attention to if it ever turned "Red" or anything if it didn't have the device heading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin