DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody seen this red Icon before?

z28lt1,
curious what phone or tablet you’re using? You’re the first one I’ve heard that it’s working properly.
I wonder what the GO4 app uses to get the phones position and heading? I’m using the same iPad mini 4 for both and it works perfect with the GO4 app.

It also works fine for me and I'm using a galaxy s20

z28lt1,
curious what phone or tablet you’re using? You’re the first one I’ve heard that it’s working properly.
I wonder what the GO4 app uses to get the phones position and heading? I’m using the same iPad mini 4 for both and it works perfect with the GO4 app.

I've been using an unactivated (no cell service) iphone 8 for flying recently and have had no issues. I do have an ipad mini 4 I used with my Air 1 that I can try to test out this weekend. If I have time, I will also try newer iphone and Galaxy devices.

This doesn’t make any sense. How is the orientation on the map correct and the orientation on the icon Wrong if they are using the same data?
And, we have all made sure the app has location services enabled, compass calibrated and are still getting wrong info on the icon on the bottom of the screen.
The GO app with the MA1 was always perfect. Now everyone is having issues with this new app. Why did dji change a perfectly good feature.

That's easy. It knows what direction the drone is pointing. It knows where the drone is. It knows where the phone is, but not what direction it's pointing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
OK so this thread sure has a lot of different opinions. So 1 month and 20 flights in, I haven't had the need to look at the orientation icon till reading this thread. I don't think I ever looked at it till yesterday and It's not working correctly. I calibrated the IMU? and the compass. It doesn't properly display orientation. The drone arrow doesn't point at me sometimes even moves down around to the bottom of the arc. Rebooting everything in the proper order doesn't help. I got it to work for about 20 sec then it was all over the place. An other thread here said he talked to DJI about it and told him they were working on it.
OK so two days later and the orientation icon seems to be working perfect from the exact same location. Go figure. I bought the Not 8 used Ebay because my note 4 won't work with the Fly app. No sim card, not activated and, I hate big brother, location is permanently turned off. Everything seems to be working OK now except for an ocational black screen. However I noticed when I looked at JPG photo details there are little maps with the location of the pic. Then when I enlarged the map it started showing places on the map of other older pics that got tagged in the past. I have 6,000 pics on my phone and only a few are tagged.
I don't want to go off thread but if anyone can point me to a thread on height restrictions. Last month I "rocketed" up till it stopped and said that's it. Now after updating it just keeps going up, up, up.

That's easy. It knows what direction the drone is pointing. It knows where the drone is. It knows where the phone is, but not what direction it's pointing.
Worth saying on my map the drones location and orientation are correct and the controllers location AND orientation also correct. But the orientation icon bottom center on camera screen still has a red slash and does not work at all. The app is apparently getting all the information it needs for the orientation icon to work.. it just doesn't.

Worth saying on my map the drones location and orientation are correct and the controllers location AND orientation also correct. But the orientation icon bottom center on camera screen still has a red slash and does not work at all. The app is apparently getting all the information it needs for the orientation icon to work.. it just doesn't.

It does not know what direction the remote and phone are pointing.

You have to download one. I use Compass X
[/Hello, you replied to a thread that you use the app compass X on your WiFi only iPad mini to fly your drone. Are you saying that after downloading this app and having it Opened when you are flying that the orientation Icon at the bottom of the go fly app window functions properly?

Yes, that display will show up when my GPS location is turned off on my Android phone. Turn my GPS location back on and the red indication will return back to normal on my DJI Fly app.

I have to say, I'm glad to find this thread. I'm fairly new to the MA2 but not to the Mavic series of drones. This has been an issue flying my MA2 using my iPhone X or my iPad Pro (Cel+WiFi). Very intermittent behavior and when it's not red, it's usually wrong (or off by some fixed amount). I've used the exact same iPhone and iPad on my old MA (using the go4 app) and it worked flawlessly. I even purchased a longer USBC to Lighting (for the iPad). The intermittent behavior continues. I'm pretty sure its a bug in the DJI fly app, or a firmware issue. Too many are having the same experience to be random so I hope DJI addresses it soon, I'd really like to be able to use it for accurate controller aiming on the longer distance flights (or behind temporary obstacles)... I wish DJI would agknowlage this so we can move on without wondering if we didn't spin the controller the right way or put on the wrong belt, or have the lightning plug flipped or... Geez...

I have to say, I'm glad to find this thread. I'm fairly new to the MA2 but not to the Mavic series of drones. This has been an issue flying my MA2 using my iPhone X or my iPad Pro (Cel+WiFi). Very intermittent behavior and when it's not red, it's usually wrong (or off by some fixed amount). I've used the exact same iPhone and iPad on my old MA (using the go4 app) and it worked flawlessly. I even purchased a longer USBC to Lighting (for the iPad). The intermittent behavior continues. I'm pretty sure its a bug in the DJI fly app, or a firmware issue. Too many are having the same experience to be random so I hope DJI addresses it soon, I'd really like to be able to use it for accurate controller aiming on the longer distance flights (or behind temporary obstacles)... I wish DJI would agknowlage this so we can move on without wondering if we didn't spin the controller the right way or put on the wrong belt, or have the lightning plug flipped or... Geez...

Mine has mysteriously started working properly. All I can think is some android update fixed the reason DJI FLY could not read the compass.

You might have a look at these 2 video's, they explain a lot about this very issue.
MM Compass Issues
Mavic Mini RC _ Device Compass Interferrence

Last night, I rested the remote and phone on a metal gate. Suddenly it said the drone was behind me. "No, it's over there." Took it away from the metal gate and the icon went correct.

Yeah... don't think it has anything to do with compass as the drone doesn't get any heading info from the phone, the phone is simply an interface for the RC... It appears to me to be a "phone not charging" icon...

Why does any of these videos surprise you... a compass reacts to magnetic fields... of course it is going to "swing" if you bring it anywhere near a large body of metal or anything generating an electric field.

Got this error on my MA2 last week, for the first time. Seemed to keep happening so I brought it back and landed and went home.

Is this a bug in Dji Fly or the Ma2 Firmware?

Hopefully its going to be fixed if it is as its pretty unerving to see it and not know why its happening.

I get it all the time. Just move. Recalibrate the drone's compass and rescycle the drone and the controller. Usually fixes it for me. I've never found it to be accurate though. Was standing 5 feet from the drone facing it Saturday and the little arrow was 20 degrees to the right. lol.

Reactions: AnDronioBanderos
Mama Mia, is anyone reading posts? Incorrect speculations right after posts that explain everything.

In order to indicate orientation of the AC relative to you, it needs:
Where AC is (AC GPS)
Where you are (device GPS)
Which way you are facing (device compass)
Indicator also shows which way AC is pointing from its compass.

Go had the same thing with the attitude indicator, but probably used the home point as center, maybe used device GPS if it exists and working. You might notice an 'N' at the perimeter. If your device compass is working and you're facing east, the N would be on the left. If device compass doesn't read at all, then N would be at top.

Map in both apps works the same way as attitude indicator in Go, except you can set it to heads up (depends on device compass) or North up.

Problem wouldn't be AC GPS and certainly never compass as these are critical for stable flight. Sure VPS can keep it stable, but that's through dead reconing and not location aware.

Let's put it this way. If I dropped you blindfolded in the middle of nowhere, gave you your GPS location and the GPS location of rescue but no compass and no knowledge of figuring out compass direction from nature, would you know which way to start walking? I'll even give you a map.

Well neither can the app without proper input.

Mama Mia, is anyone reading posts? Incorrect speculations right after posts that explain everything.

In order to indicate orientation of the AC relative to you, it needs:
Where AC is (AC GPS)
Where you are (device GPS)
Which way you are facing (device compass)
Indicator also shows which way AC is pointing from its compass.

Go had the same thing with the attitude indicator, but probably used the home point as center, maybe used device GPS if it exists and working. You might notice an 'N' at the perimeter. If your device compass is working and you're facing east, the N would be on the left. If device compass doesn't read at all, then N would be at top.

Map in both apps works the same way as attitude indicator in Go, except you can set it to heads up (depends on device compass) or North up.

Problem wouldn't be AC GPS and certainly never compass as these are critical for stable flight. Sure VPS can keep it stable, but that's through dead reconing and not location aware.

Let's put it this way. If I dropped you blindfolded in the middle of nowhere, gave you your GPS location and the GPS location of rescue but no compass and no knowledge of figuring out compass direction from nature, would you know which way to start walking? I'll even give you a map.

Well neither can the app without proper input.

I get it all the time. Just move. Recalibrate the drone's compass and rescycle the drone and the controller. Usually fixes it for me. I've never found it to be accurate though. Was standing 5 feet from the drone facing it Saturday and the little arrow was 20 degrees to the right. lol.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this a bit.

Im fairly new to flying and found it quite unnerving when it happened last week as I couldnt figure it out.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this a bit.

Im fairly new to flying and found it quite unnerving when it happened last week as I couldnt figure it out.

It just means it's not sure where the phone's compass is pointing so it can't show your orientation to the drone. I used to have it all the time and figured the feature was buggy so I did not worry about it. Then an android update fixed it. Sometimes see it when I'm too close to the car, or resting the remote on a cattle gate or something silly like that. Just step away a few feet and it works properly again. No need to recalibrate or reboot drone, it's compass is working fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis