DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone accomplished this?

That sounds extremely risky. Most of the time when I see people being daring enough to do something with their Mavic, they seem to think the big downside would be loosing their Mavic. It's just stuff. That would be only a $1000 loss.
Huge park? Out of VLOS. Lots of people to possibly interface with who may not be your buddy if things go wrong. And with it being totally illegal, you are opening your self up to possible major law suit if it doesn't go as planned. IThat possibility would be infinitely worse than loosing a Mavic. guess you have to ask yourself one question. "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you,,,,punk?" (Not a personal attack, just a classic Clint Eastwood quote from "Dirty Harry" BTW, in the movie, the one who felt lucky,,,,,,wasn't.)

This comment was not intended to infer that anyone, real, or fictional on this post is a punk.
No animals were injured in the posting of this reply.

It’s nothing but farm land between my house and the park...In which I have permission to fly on or over. Unless I somehow crash and kill a cow, not much to worry about In regards to a lawsuit.

But that’s ok, you don’t know me or my situation, so jumping to conclusions is cool.

I was thinking about the park. Parks are usually frequented by the public. Just trying to give advice based on what you wrote. I mistakenly thought you were looking for advice on the matter. My bad.

So why not set the RC at the home point which would be dynamic home point in the settings.

Hi Neebles,... just wanted to suggest that you could still have LOS by having someone on the other end as an observer with or without binoculars communicating with you by walkie talkie/mobile phone and not have any regulations problems,.... that would address most doubts... [emoji106]. Happy, safe flying....... [emoji4]

Hi Neebles,... just wanted to suggest that you could still have LOS by having someone on the other end as an observer with or without binoculars communicating with you by walkie talkie/mobile phone and not have any regulations problems,.... that would address most doubts... [emoji106]. Happy, safe flying....... [emoji4]

I was wondering if you could have a second party take over LOS...I know bino’s dont count, as LOS has to be unaided (except rx glasses). Good thought though. Thanks

I don't think I read this scenario but it is related to this discussion. I think what a possible goal in the original post might be this..... a desire to fly to a distant point, land the Mavic, then drive or walk to that point and fly some more. But if the Mavic loses signal when getting low to land, it will kick in RTH. Perhaps one could set RTH to where the Mavic is before landing???? Let it land with obstacle avoidance off???? THEN, ride to where it is and launch again??? The question, then, is can RTH be set to where the Mavic is at that point, where you want it to land. Options for RTH setting are 1. from where the controller is 2. from the original launch point So this may not be possible???

VLOS can be acquired either with your own eyes or through a second person acting as a spotter for you but you cannot use binoculars. It has to be unassisted VLOS only.

Here's a challenge- Fly your MP 1-2 miles away and land it. Take off and bring it home. I am looking for the right place to try this.There can be no trees as when your descend below them the MP will lose the signal. If you've accomplished this already, can we see the video?
I've only had my Mavic for a couple of months and I tried this once. The return wasn't successful. I started at a park about a mile from my home and slightly higher in elevation. My wife was at home to watch the landing. The signal, while landing at my home, was lost. I was able to turn it off, but not restart it. Since I'm a new flyer, I was happy to fly a mile away and land it within 12 inches of where I was aiming. I'll make some adjustments and give it another try someday.

I have to ask, "Why?" What would you gain by doing this? What would you lose (your drone!). Your car can probably go 100 mph. You might as well be asking, "I have a car that will go 100 mph. Has anyone ever tried to go on the Washington DC Beltway and do a loop around the city never going under 90 MPH?" Why? Today I was practicing with my MP on the beach and I was asked, "How far will it go?" and I replied "5 km I think." Next question was, "How far away have you sent it?" I replied, "Only as far as I can see it because that is the safe, smart and responsible way to operate a drone. I want my drone back home tonight."

I have to ask, "Why?" What would you gain by doing this? What would you lose (your drone!). Your car can probably go 100 mph. You might as well be asking, "I have a car that will go 100 mph. Has anyone ever tried to go on the Washington DC Beltway and do a loop around the city never going under 90 MPH?" Why? Today I was practicing with my MP on the beach and I was asked, "How far will it go?" and I replied "5 km I think." Next question was, "How far away have you sent it?" I replied, "Only as far as I can see it because that is the safe, smart and responsible way to operate a drone. I want my drone back home tonight."

Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park: "Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." Sorry. I'm stuck in movie quote mode.

I don't think flying a drone for a mile or two and trying to land it, compares in anyway to driving 100 mph in the city. If the flight and route are carefully planned out, it can be a safe, smart and responsible way to operate a drone.

I don't think flying a drone for a mile or two and trying to land it, compares in anyway to driving 100 mph in the city. If the flight and route are carefully planned out, it can be a safe, smart and responsible way to operate a drone.
Actually, it kinda does compare. Flying a drone just beyond VLOS is like driving 10 mph over the speed limit. Flying a drone as far as you can go is like driving a car as fast as it can go. The comparison breaks down when you consider that the car will have a much higher likelihood of a significant accident. The drone, while much less likely to cause damage, has increased that likelihood by a significant amount. But in the end, they are both done by people who think that owning something that can exceed the legal limits applied to it, somehow entitles them to do so.
Two other significant differences. An miniscule percentage of drivers consider driving that way to be reasonable or acceptable. This board offers evidence that a much larger percentage of drone operators consider this to be ok. Another big difference may be that the driver going 100mph in e city puts himself and others at risk. The drone pilot only puts others at risk.

Well done. That is the first video of that I’ve ever seen. Probably the first on this board. Nice job!

I don't think I read this scenario but it is related to this discussion. I think what a possible goal in the original post might be this..... a desire to fly to a distant point, land the Mavic, then drive or walk to that point and fly some more. But if the Mavic loses signal when getting low to land, it will kick in RTH. Perhaps one could set RTH to where the Mavic is before landing???? Let it land with obstacle avoidance off???? THEN, ride to where it is and launch again??? The question, then, is can RTH be set to where the Mavic is at that point, where you want it to land. Options for RTH setting are 1. from where the controller is 2. from the original launch point So this may not be possible???
RTH has three settings, 1) RTH, 2) Hover, 3) Land. While descending to land at a remote location, I'd personally set it to hover ~in the event of loss of signal. If/when the battery runs critical, it will simply land, which would be the safest bet if you have a spotter at the touchdown site. But setting it to hover would buy you a little time to move and reestablish a signal. Or just set it to RTH, and call it a failed experiment ~but ensure the return of the drone.

Actually, it kinda does compare. Flying a drone just beyond VLOS is like driving 10 mph over the speed limit. Flying a drone as far as you can go is like driving a car as fast as it can go. The comparison breaks down when you consider that the car will have a much higher likelihood of a significant accident. The drone, while much less likely to cause damage, has increased that likelihood by a significant amount. But in the end, they are both done by people who think that owning something that can exceed the legal limits applied to it, somehow entitles them to do so.
Two other significant differences. An miniscule percentage of drivers consider driving that way to be reasonable or acceptable. This board offers evidence that a much larger percentage of drone operators consider this to be ok. Another big difference may be that the driver going 100mph in e city puts himself and others at risk. The drone pilot only puts others at risk.
I flew my drone a distance of one mile and landed it at my own home. My wife was observing it as it came near my home. It's that simple.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xapiccone