DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has Anyone Actually Contacted an Airport to Fly Within 5 miles?

What sort of airport? I wouldn’t expect anyone at the airport to know what you’re talking about either if you start talking about DJI or AirMap, unless they happen to be drone pilots themselves. I’d let them know what sort of authorization you needed or notification you were giving, explain the CFR or other law involved, and go from there. Pilots and others at airports are very sensitive to CFRs so I’d be surprised if they blew you off intentionally, particularly given that their job or FBO designation involves this sort of thing. It sounds like he just didn’t understand what you needed. Given the comment about flying within 5 miles, sounds like it may be class E and you just need to notify them. Chances are they don’t care as long as you aren’t doing something stupid.
Yes, I told him I wanted to fly a drone, he said ok. The issue is they don't release the software so you can fly.

The above Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc (AOPA) really is a great link if you fly within 5 miles of an airport (like I do.) It points out that you are not asking permission, but merely making a notification which the airport can deny. Ignoring the denial is a felony.

I also discovered in the FAA's B4UFLY app that the FAA is developing an electronic notification process to facilitate notification in the future. Hmmmm, I wonder how far in the future?

Ignoring a denial is not a felony. It does, however, leave you open to being pursued by the FAA under 14 CFR 101.43 for endangering the NAS, if they can show that you did so.

Yes we have here at Deer Valley airport which is 3 miles from our Phoenix city flying park. However the easiest method is to file a flight plan on AIRMAP and then no phone call is needed. We generally get an authorization text within minutes.

Hi Lt Fry,

Is AIrmap free to use for hobbyists? I too live in Arizona (Peoria) and am looking for the easiest method of notifying nearby airports.

yes i have.
as two airports, both no tower but paved. and two helo pads, are close to where i live and fly.
one airport said no problem. fly any time, my flight area is over several ridge tops away.(to the south east of it) but i live within 5 miles almost under the center of the glide path.(due north) only runway is N-S. no my N-E-S-W marks are general not exact.
the other, i fly at is right on the 5 nut mile mark. and he (could only talk to him over the phone, never face to face. refused to even return a email) was not happy. even though my flight area is not in a glide path, and even protected by a couple hills way taller than the 400 ft agl rule.
as to the helo pads, one is a hospital. thankfully rarely used.
the other is a pg&e (local power company in the news right now ), it is almost never used. and it is on the other side of a ridge of hills that are a good 1000 feet above where i fly.
both are none issues. partly as nobody knows who controls them. and both have little to no use at this time.

The above Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc (AOPA) really is a great link if you fly within 5 miles of an airport (like I do.) It points out that you are not asking permission, but merely making a notification which the airport can deny. Ignoring the denial is a felony.

I also discovered in the FAA's B4UFLY app that the FAA is developing an electronic notification process to facilitate notification in the future. Hmmmm, I wonder how far in the future?

but what if the person in "control" that you need to contact refuses to allow, or makes it very hard to contact them?
aka: not replying to a email, or returning a phone call, and would ONLY talk over the phone from the front desk at the airport, aka his secretary desk. he was never around. and the airport in question for me is quite a ways out of my way. read costs a lot in fuel, and time.

but what if the person in "control" that you need to contact refuses to allow, or makes it very hard to contact them?
aka: not replying to a email, or returning a phone call, and would ONLY talk over the phone from the front desk at the airport, aka his secretary desk. he was never around. and the airport in question for me is quite a ways out of my way. read costs a lot in fuel, and time.

As mentioned in the post you quoted, you are only required to notify at this time, not obtain permission. If you make this attempt, I'd call that good.

i fly.

i know positively where i tend to fly there is 1000% no chance of having a problem or conflict with any maned aircraft.

with that said one time a cal fire helo and crews, were doing practice there, but i had no drone in the air that day anyhow, as this area is also a free fire target zone. so if they wanted the area on any given day they are more than welcome to it.

Most of my flying is done in Class G airspace and the only "airports" around me only exist on sectionals, not on the ground.

I called the airport manager at one very small airport, who seemed very confused and didn't know why I was calling. I tried to explain the requirement to inform but he really didn't seem to be interested in anything I had to say. I figured that was good enough, I held up my end of the deal and had the phone log to prove it.

The other airport I called the manager told me to "call the tower," which I informed him was specifically not the right procedure, but he persisted. The controller logged my flight information, thanked me for the call and was happy to confirm for me what frequency I should monitor (I always carry a radio capable of receiving air band VHF). The phone call was recorded, as there was a tone every few seconds.

Reactions: ChallengerPilot
Most of my flying is done in Class G airspace and the only "airports" around me only exist on sectionals, not on the ground.

I called the airport manager at one very small airport, who seemed very confused and didn't know why I was calling. I tried to explain the requirement to inform but he really didn't seem to be interested in anything I had to say. I figured that was good enough, I held up my end of the deal and had the phone log to prove it.

The other airport I called the manager told me to "call the tower," which I informed him was specifically not the right procedure, but he persisted. The controller logged my flight information, thanked me for the call and was happy to confirm for me what frequency I should monitor (I always carry a radio capable of receiving air band VHF). The phone call was recorded, as there was a tone every few seconds.

Actually the advice to call the tower was correct:

101.41 (e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
I've called the tower at BDR several times for an OK as I live about 2.5 miles away from it and they have always been very friendly and helpful. FWIW, I usually ask them right away if they have time to talk when I call, so far they've only asked me once to call back in about 15 minutes which I did.

All the time. I live in an area surrounded by 3 airports. Two don’t answer my calls. The third instructed me to send emails, which I do.

preface this with - i always fly smart & fly for business in these locations. i'm always relatively low, using the MPP as a jib or slider.

i contact a regional airport all the time - once or twice a month. i call 24 hours in advance to let them know - then call within 30 minutes.

me: "hi, this is Todd i'm at XXXX location. i'll be flying for 20-30 minutes up to 100' "
them: "ok, man, thanks."

mostly, the typical ATC doesn't want to be bothered by it.

preface this with - i always fly smart & fly for business in these locations. i'm always relatively low, using the MPP as a jib or slider.

i contact a regional airport all the time - once or twice a month. i call 24 hours in advance to let them know - then call within 30 minutes.

me: "hi, this is Todd i'm at XXXX location. i'll be flying for 20-30 minutes up to 100' "
them: "ok, man, thanks."

mostly, the typical ATC doesn't want to be bothered by it.

But you are flying under Part 107, so calling the airport is just a courtesy, not a requirement.

Actually the advice to call the tower was correct:

101.41 (e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.​

Interesting, apparently I missed that part. Most of the instruction I've seen specifically says NOT to call the tower, but I'll bet they're thinking KDEN or some other huge operation.

Interesting, apparently I missed that part. Most of the instruction I've seen specifically says NOT to call the tower, but I'll bet they're thinking KDEN or some other huge operation.

Are you thinking of the Part 107 authorization process for controlled airspace? The FAA has explicitly issued instructions that it must be done via the FAA portal (or LAANC where available) and not by calling ATC directly. Part 101 has always required calling the tower, if there is one.

Yes we have here at Deer Valley airport which is 3 miles from our Phoenix city flying park. However the easiest method is to file a flight plan on AIRMAP and then no phone call is needed. We generally get an authorization text within minutes.
My understanding that the electronic authorization using Airmap only works if you are a 107 pilot. Is that correct?

Are you thinking of the Part 107 authorization process for controlled airspace? The FAA has explicitly issued instructions that it must be done via the FAA portal (or LAANC where available) and not by calling ATC directly. Part 101 has always required calling the tower, if there is one.

I'm actually much more familiar with part 107 rules just because I thought it would be a good idea to have my certification in case the opportunity for commercial flight came up. For now I'm pretty much a hobby flier, and probably going to let my cert lapse next month, haven't decided yet.

I live within 1.5 miles of Class C KCOS. When I fly as a hobbyist I telephone both the Tower and KCOS OPs Ctr.
Then I can compete with the hot air balloons, aeroclubs, geese, and occasional FFL. Always I yield! (Aeroclubs are usually 200-300 due to the close proximity of the small ac landing pattern. Absolutely no problems or denials yet. I also fly elsewhere in the city which requires the heliport/hospital notifications, >90% of the time, no answer!. Butts field to the south is hit or miss. Air Force Academy to the north? Rarely, that area is sooo busywith parachutes, gliders, aeroclub, small rocket (5-10 foot) lessons for Academy students. East of The Springs in the wide open areas, military jet jockey training from much further away places.

Follow up: Yesterday, Feb 1, 2019, I had a rather pleasant conversation with the local FAA Tower Supervisor, KCOS. I informed him I was drafting an MoA to negate having to call each time when flying as a hobbyist. I needed names and addresses for the letter. He gave the requested data but also told me he is NOT required to grant or deny hobbyist, only the 107s. I informed him the FAA states, as a hobbyist I assimilate the Safety Policies of a CBO, such as the AMA. He told me that’s fine, but not required by the FAA as far as hobbyist requesting or informing of flight within 5 miles of airport. Only that I fly safely! Again, I told him I am within 1.5 of his Class C KCOS. He response was “Cool, just be careful, and stay below 400 AGL in the Class C. He told me all the fixed wing are limited to no lower than 500 by FAA. He told me if I am in landing patterns, then keep a closer eye as pilots must come down in altitude. I thanked him for his time, redrafted the letter for the KCOS OPs Supervisor instead. I’ll advise of outcome.

Hi. I'm from Norway so this might not apply to where I usually fly, but I have a question concerning flying within 5 miles (5 kilometers in Norway). It is my understanding that according to the FAA guidelines, a hobbyist will only have to "notify" the airport and ATC. No need to await response and there should be no allowance or denial. Is this correct? How close to the airport can you go after notifying? Does it depend on the airspace class at which the airport is located?

Let me know if I should rather have created a new thread for this questions, but I felt it natural to post it here under this topic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde