DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has Anyone Actually Contacted an Airport to Fly Within 5 miles?

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
Has anyone actually contacted an airport if flying within the 5 mile circle and if you did, whom did you contact?

Reactions: UAS0750
Sure. I have two heliports that are local to me and indicated to be within 5 miles of my home. I knew that I would be flying near my home at times so I used the template that was posted here on the forum and customized it with my contact details and noted that I would be flying occasionally.

I sent these letters to the two local heliports informing them of intent to fly .

I received a call back from one hospital (which is where the heliport is located). The security manager called back and asked me if they could text me on my phone if a life flight helicopter was inbound or outbound. I told them sure and I would be very cautious or not fly at all during those short windows of time.

The other hospital with the heliport never even responded. Thats not the point though. The point is that I notified them.

Here is a copy of the template I used.

Attachments

• FAA Notification Go By.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 245
This article has some good tips on contacting airports before flying:
Best Practices for Flying your Drone near an Airport

The above Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc (AOPA) really is a great link if you fly within 5 miles of an airport (like I do.) It points out that you are not asking permission, but merely making a notification which the airport can deny. Ignoring the denial is a felony.

I also discovered in the FAA's B4UFLY app that the FAA is developing an electronic notification process to facilitate notification in the future. Hmmmm, I wonder how far in the future?

Reactions: Whey
Hi from Aus
Flying in New Zealand last week
wanted to take some arial shots of Antonio Hall managed to do so in controlled airspace with the blessing of airways NZ through there website
Airshare great service check out how to log a flight plan airshare.co.nz took 30 min to get ok

Reactions: DiggerNZ
I've called the local airport a few times and they've always been accommodating. They give me a one hour window to fly up to 200 feet AGL. AirMap lists the phone numbers you need to call for clearance.

I live within 5 miles of a small airport that is active with both small aircraft and commercial business jets. The airport does not have control tower that is done by International airprort about 30 miles away. I did not really do my homework before i contacted the airport manager, he did not really know what to do with me except refer me to the control tower. The control tower did not want to engage and refered me back to local airport. Now after reading this blog I know what I should do as a drone operator to notify the local airport manager. thanks msinger and bdog.

I've called several of the airports around me. I've never actually talked to anyone on the phone, but i left a voicemail with the general location that i would be flying at the altitude that i would be at and the general time i had planned on flying. I also left my name and cell number.

Has anyone actually contacted an airport if flying within the 5 mile circle and if you did, whom did you contact?
I tried too several times, nobody would answer the phone or return a call when I left a message.

I have a small airport near my house. I called and spoke to the airport manager. He was very nice until I started asking about flying my drone like he was annoyed with the subject matter. Not mean but more like just tired of drone calls. He said I could fly. I asked him if I needed to call Everytime I wanted to fly and he told me no. Just watch my altitude and stay out of his landing path.

I did as I live just outside of an airport's landing corridor but still in a "warning zone" that needs authorization before I take off. I called their main contact number and got put in touch with their controller and "drone person." that person directed me to an FAA website that shows allow altitudes over a map of the city (Phoenix area) and said as long as I stuck to those elevations I was good- no need to call them again. He had just taken down my information.

He was very friendly and professional. He's a drone pilot himself apparently. He did recommend that I keep that website with me and up on a device as he said that I'd probably inevitably be talked to by the police. He said as long as the LEO was "cool" that website should be enough to get by. If not, I'll simply have to stop flying upon request.

Reactions: John235

Yes, I called the airport and asked about how to receive authority to fly and was told he didn't know anything about DJI, Airmap or what to do. He also told me he received a few calls notifying him that someone would be flying a drone within 5 miles of the airport. He didn't offer any other help.
In the meantime I found that after I received the can not fly notice, I hit the take off button it brought up the screen where you checked 3 boxes and authorizing was given.
It's a strange flight would out there.

I live within 1.5 miles of Class C KCOS. When I fly as a hobbyist I telephone both the Tower and KCOS OPs Ctr.
Then I can compete with the hot air balloons, aeroclubs, geese, and occasional FFL. Always I yield! (Aeroclubs are usually 200-300 due to the close proximity of the small ac landing pattern. Absolutely no problems or denials yet. I also fly elsewhere in the city which requires the heliport/hospital notifications, >90% of the time, no answer!. Butts field to the south is hit or miss. Air Force Academy to the north? Rarely, that area is sooo busywith parachutes, gliders, aeroclub, small rocket (5-10 foot) lessons for Academy students. East of The Springs in the wide open areas, military jet jockey training from much further away places.

I have a suggestion, which may not be practical for everyone, but may be for many. Go out to the airport. Talk to the FBO manager and employees (if a bigger airport, find a flight school). Tell them what you do. Buy an hour of flight time (they’ll often give you a discount for a short flight for a discount; ask for a “Discovery Flight”) to see how the airport operates, how low they get on takeoff and landing, etc.

Of course, you still need to go through the proper channels to make sure you’re ok to fly.

As both a pilot and drone operator, I understand both sides of the airspace issue, and I understand why many pilots and airport operators are worried about drones. We worry about the same sorts of over regulation as drone pilots do (which is why we as drone operators are lucky to have AOPA on our side, which looks out for pilots and airports). But most pilots and airport folks will have a connection to anyone who’s interested in flying and understanding the airspace if you get to know them.

Pilots are worried about the yahoos who buy an expensive drone, don’t follow the rules, and cause us to have to do a go-around. Explain that you’re not one of those people and I suspect you’ll be fine. Better yet, invite them over to fly your drone (with appropriate supervision, of course). Many of them will probably become obsessed and come join us on this side.

Yes, I called the airport and asked about how to receive authority to fly and was told he didn't know anything about DJI, Airmap or what to do. He also told me he received a few calls notifying him that someone would be flying a drone within 5 miles of the airport. He didn't offer any other help.
In the meantime I found that after I received the can not fly notice, I hit the take off button it brought up the screen where you checked 3 boxes and authorizing was given.

Unfortunately, that area where you check boxes and get the "authorization code" isn't actually official. It's pretty much just backside covering on the part of DJI. Doesn't remove your requirement to notify the airports, etc. Confusing, but it is what it is. Maybe try talking to the airport again and see if someone else is available who is more knowledgeable on the subject? Just to be careful and make sure you don't end up exposing yourself to unnecessary risk.

What sort of airport? I wouldn’t expect anyone at the airport to know what you’re talking about either if you start talking about DJI or AirMap, unless they happen to be drone pilots themselves. I’d let them know what sort of authorization you needed or notification you were giving, explain the CFR or other law involved, and go from there. Pilots and others at airports are very sensitive to CFRs so I’d be surprised if they blew you off intentionally, particularly given that their job or FBO designation involves this sort of thing. It sounds like he just didn’t understand what you needed. Given the comment about flying within 5 miles, sounds like it may be class E and you just need to notify them. Chances are they don’t care as long as you aren’t doing something stupid.

I call the CT and tell them the basics of what I am doing and that I will be mindful of any traffic. I usually give the bearing and distance FROM the airport. Usual response "uhh....ok". By the way, I fly for a living and the threat of these things is growing based on people not adhering to some pretty simple rules. Even if your flying away from a field, use some common sense. These little buggers are impossible to see and I am not interested in slamming into one. Plus, we police ourselves before someone else will.

Fly smart!

Yes we have here at Deer Valley airport which is 3 miles from our Phoenix city flying park. However the easiest method is to file a flight plan on AIRMAP and then no phone call is needed. We generally get an authorization text within minutes.

Reactions: brandon 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78