DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has Anyone Actually Contacted an Airport to Fly Within 5 miles?

Well I hate to break it to you, but the Dronezone is where my COA's (Certificates of Authorizations) are located and that the paperwork says to call ATC to get authorization. Thanks for your input even if it is incorrect.

Then your original post (below) was misleading. This thread was about recreational pilots calling towers/airports as required by Part 101. So, I'm not sure why you even posted about Part 107 arrangements, but you appeared to be saying that under Part 107, without LAANC, you simply call local ATC rather than use the portal. And when I pointed out that you should use the portal you didn't mention that you had already done that, and that the waiver/authorization simply required you to call ATC as one of its conditions.

As a 107 operator in a town without LAANC and required COAs in Class D, I have to contact ATC everytime I want to fly in controlled airspace. If I am going to fly around the Capitol building, I notify the Capitol Police Dispatch as well to stop any LEO interruptions; and if in the vicinity of the hospitals, I contact LifeStar dispatch.

Then your original post (below) was misleading. This thread was about recreational pilots calling towers/airports as required by Part 101. So, I'm not sure why you even posted about Part 107 arrangements, but you appeared to be saying that under Part 107, without LAANC, you simply call local ATC rather than use the portal. And when I pointed out that you should use the portal you didn't mention that you had already done that, and that the waiver/authorization simply required you to call ATC as one of its conditions.

My original post said "As a 107 operator in a town without LAANC and required COAs in Class D, I have to contact ATC every time I want to fly in controlled airspace. If I am going to fly around the Capitol building, I notify the Capitol Police Dispatch as well to stop any LEO interruptions; and if in the vicinity of the hospitals, I contact LifeStar dispatch."

Take note of "required COAs"

COAs, which are certificates of authorization are kept on file in the Dronezone. The Dronezone is where you receive COAs and Waivers. Since I clearly stated that I operate as a 107 pilot in a town without LAANC and required COAs in Class D, it could thereby be presumed that I HAVE said COAs (Certificate of Authorizations, which are kept in the Dronezone on file) and that I might have a clue what they say and only share the relevant information necessary since the original post said nothing about hobby flight and did state "Has anyone actually contacted an airport if flying within the 5 mile circle and if you did, whom did you contact?"

I did not mislead anyone. You simply did not pay attention to details.

My original post said "As a 107 operator in a town without LAANC and required COAs in Class D, I have to contact ATC every time I want to fly in controlled airspace. If I am going to fly around the Capitol building, I notify the Capitol Police Dispatch as well to stop any LEO interruptions; and if in the vicinity of the hospitals, I contact LifeStar dispatch."

Take note of "required COAs"

COAs, which are certificates of authorization are kept on file in the Dronezone. The Dronezone is where you receive COAs and Waivers. Since I clearly stated that I operate as a 107 pilot in a town without LAANC and required COAs in Class D, it could thereby be presumed that I HAVE said COAs (Certificate of Authorizations, which are kept in the Dronezone on file) and that I might have a clue what they say and only share the relevant information necessary since the original post said nothing about hobby flight and did state "Has anyone actually contacted an airport if flying within the 5 mile circle and if you did, whom did you contact?"

I did not mislead anyone. You simply did not pay attention to details.

Agreed - the implication was there and I overlooked it. However, you obviously knew exactly what the source of the confusion was and you chose to keep it going, and in a thread that has nothing to do with Part 107 procedures.

Reactions: JDawg
Agreed - the implication was there and I overlooked it. However, you obviously knew exactly what the source of the confusion was and you chose to keep it going, and in a thread that has nothing to do with Part 107 procedures.

OP said nothing about 336 or 107.

I tried to tell you, but apparently, it is my fault for not clarifying twice that I have a COA (certificate of authorization; kept in DRONEZONE) to fly at my location. My assumption is that when people read that COAs are required to fly in controlled airspace and then I tell people that I fly in that controlled airspace that they would then be able to further deduce that said remote pilot has said paperwork which is kept in dronezone to fly in said airspace. I apologize for not repeating myself.

OP said nothing about 336 or 107.

I tried to tell you, but apparently, it is my fault for not clarifying twice that I have a COA (certificate of authorization; kept in DRONEZONE) to fly at my location. My assumption is that when people read that COAs are required to fly in controlled airspace and then I tell people that I fly in that controlled airspace that they would then be able to further deduce that said remote pilot has said paperwork which is kept in dronezone to fly in said airspace. I apologize for not repeating myself.

Now you are not paying attention to details. Read the title of the thread. The five-mile rule is for Part 101, and I'm quite sure that you know that perfectly well.

As for trying to clarify, your first reply was:

Excuse me, as I said in my post. We do NOT have LAANC here. There is no electronic means of receiving authorization. In our town, you MUST have a COA on paper from the FAA and then when you fly, you must notify ATC via phone.

That is not correct. The FAA portal is an electronic means to request authorization to fly in controlled airspace, even if it is not instant like LAANC. And your town does not control airspace authorization, so I've no idea what that was about. That post did not clarify anything. I recommend abandoning this discussion since it has no relevance to this thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique