DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has DJI completely abandoned Mavic pro owners?

Well, my statement about Microsoft is true enough. They will have supported Windows 7 for almost 11 years by Jan 14, 2020; 2009-2020 is 11 years. Even "mainstream support" was available for 6 years. I still run Win 7 on some machines and get updates for free 10 years later.

You're getting bug fixes, not features and even that aside Microsoft only support their operating systems for Home and Pro for 18 months.

[quote[You say, "the only real security risk is people hacking the Mavic's software." I disagree. How about DJI hacking their own software? A whole different story. Yes we need to be aware of outsiders hacking our software, but we also need to be aware of the manufacturer as well. DJI Go 4 has the ability to self-surf and update itself, so you might want to reconsider your thought process.[/quote]

DJI hacking their own software...what?! This doesn't make any sense, DJI don't need to 'hack' their own platform as its theirs. They're not going to provide security fixes against themselves...

DJi GO 4 is an Android application, it's not the operating system of the drone itself and there's no random hack out there that's going to be able to bypass the device security, the app security and then the Mavic security on top of that. It just doesn't make any sense to do that particularly when a direct hack on the mavic is much more valuable to sell to those who want to override the Mavic software.

The main reason Microsoft provide the long support for Windows is for security updates, since the Mavic platform isn't vulnerable to the same security issues as it's massively locked down in comparison it's not a fair comparison. Even phone and tablet devices have much shorter support lifespans despite being much more vulnerable to security issues than the Mavic.

Hmm, I just reinstalled Win 7 on a new machine last week. Not sure where you get this info from.

Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD came to an agreement that Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 feature 1 would not be supported with new hardware, only on Windows 10 to force people onto Windows 10. This is it straight from the horse's mouth:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...ported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

Or Dell:

Microsoft Windows Operating System Support for Intel Kaby Lake, and Later Processors | Dell US

Or a tech site:

New CPUs from AMD, Intel now locked out of Windows Update on Windows 7, 8.1 - ExtremeTech

If you installed Windows 7 on a PC it's not current hardware, this has been a massive challenge at work getting any company to sell large scale hardware that works with Windows 7.

If you're not familiar with this field fine, but telling me to 'reconsider my thought process' when it's something I'm significantly more familiar with it's quite an insult particularly when I haven't in any way insulted you. I'm puzzled by your post as it's not like you at all to post such incorrect information and then keep telling me I'm wrong without even checking first.

Have you been reading the news lately? Hundreds of posts on this topic alone. It took DJI weeks to fix the following problem. And what was their temporary solution? RUN DJI GO ASSISTANT ON A WIN 7 MACHINE! [/URL]

What relevance does this have to the discussion? Windows 7 has lasted for a long time, I'm in no way debating or questioning that but given Microsoft themselves have moved away from that model to an 18 month refresh, there's no logic to me in holding that up as an example for others to follow.

Reactions: Meta4
DJI hacking their own software...what?! This doesn't make any sense, DJI don't need to 'hack' their own platform as its theirs. They're not going to provide security fixes against themselves...

No insult intended, I simply disagreed when you said that you disagreed with me.

DJI has security risks in its firmware and app. "Hacking themselves" means to me that they willingly allow their own employees or outside influences to hack their media.

DJI, of all companies, should provide "lifetime" support for their app and software vulnerabilities, bugs, and other embedded malware.

DJI Go 4 is more vulnerable than you think. But thats a whole other conversation.

i like the fact that you dont have to keep updating with the MPP they seem to have found the sweet spot with the firmware so why change what aint broken.

me too..... it seemed every firmware update needed an update to fix the issues the other update caused... I think future firmware updates will be just fencing and more restrictions..... dont want em...

Reactions: old man mavic
Yeah, as a computer guy, what I've discovered is that very few updates fix more than they mess up. And we hear about firmware updates gone awry over and over on this forum. It will be just fine with me if they leave my Pro 1 alone. It's working just fine, and if I do an update, there's a fair chance it won't.

Think I'm kidding? Android 8 messed up several features on my Motorola phone and, to my knowledge, didn't improve anything.

By the way, DJI, feel free to stop adding NFZ's anytime you want as well. :)
Yeah, as a computer guy, what I've discovered is that very few updates fix more than they mess up. And we hear about firmware updates gone awry over and over on this forum. It will be just fine with me if they leave my Pro 1 alone. It's working just fine, and if I do an update, there's a fair chance it won't.

Think I'm kidding? Android 8 messed up several features on my Motorola phone and, to my knowledge, didn't improve anything.

By the way, DJI, feel free to stop adding NFZ's anytime you want as well. :)
I feel exactly the same, after a year with my Mavic Pro, mostly flying over sea, and never a glitch, (fingers crossed!) I'm thinking - If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Since these updates also included fixes and security (virus) protection, are we left totally exposed.
This is valid for internet-connected devices like smart things, mobile phones and computers. That has nothing to do with things like DJI devices (apart from the Crystalsky and controllers with built-in Android system).

There are plenty of products that get updates many years after manufacture. Examples are Microsoft Windows, who support their operating systems for 10 or more years, and continue to improve them until they are no longer supported.

Automobile manufacturers offer recalls on most any car made in the past couple of decades, to improve safety or performance.
Yeah that's common for long lifecycle products. Here it's just the same, only that the lifecycle isn't intended to exceed 2-3 years. Common figure for most consumer devices.

This is valid for internet-connected devices like smart things, mobile phones and computers. That has nothing to do with things like DJI devices (apart from the Crystalsky and controllers with built-in Android system).

Yeah that's common for long lifecycle products. Here it's just the same, only that the lifecycle isn't intended to exceed 2-3 years. Common figure for most consumer devices.
I hope the mavic is intended for a life cycle longer than 2 to 3 years. I have other RC equipment that is over 10 years old.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
Yes, they abandoned Mavic Pro.

It's obvious by the fact that we didn't get Waypoints 2.0.

My next drone will be Parrot or Autel.

It's been a long time since I have seen any firmware updates. If I think real hard, it had to be before the 2 release. Since these updates also included fixes and security (virus) protection, are we left totally exposed. Seems an irresponsible way to push us to upgrade.
Any news on this, wouldn't mine some firmware functional enhancements as well?
I’m glad that they haven’t changed the firmware. It seems they just added more restrictions in where you can fly, with less user autonomy.

DJI continues to update geofencing restrictions on the MP.
I recently had a mavic replaced as the video was very jerky. I assumed it was a software problem. When I got the replacement the video looked smooth but I immediately had a geo fencing update shortly after switch on. I loaded this and now have the jerky video again. Not as bad as my old one but as my old one had several geo f updates wonder if it is cumulative? Does anyone else have this experience and can I unload the geo fencing?

DJI continues to update geofencing restrictions on the MP.
And assuming I ever move beyond firmware .700 (which is modded to suit my needs, add features and remove restrictions), I'll continue to rip them out.

I’m glad that they haven’t changed the firmware. It seems they just added more restrictions in where you can fly, with less user autonomy.
Fortunately, the user community has given us the ability to fix that nonsense. Nobody elected DJI to be the Drone Police, especially when they're so inept as to impose NFZ near airports that closed years ago.

I don’t think I’m the only one who would say that I don’t mind not having to update my Mavic all the time. In fact one of the things that causes me the most anxiety when flying is to fire up my Mavic and find that it needs updating and delays me an hour or more. No more updates FTW!

I'm not expecting new features for the Mavic Pro (1) but I would expect bug fixes. I and others reported bugs in the photography software that pretty much force one to use manual camera settings in some cases, which is a severe annoyance every time I fly -- not least because I'm fiddling with the settings for much of the time which impacts flight time.

The most annoying problems are:
  • Exposure bracketing (3 exposure) takes 3 photos but two have the same exposure
  • Similarly, 5-exposure bracketing takes 5 photos but two have the same exposure
  • The EXIF information (shutter speeds) recorded while exposure bracketing are nonsense
  • Automatic exposure for spherical panoramas (which I use almost every flight) is badly broken; it over-exposes by 2 stops. Using manual involves several steps and then undoing the setting after taking the panorama.
All of these were reported a year ago by me and others, and should surely be really easy to fix.

Mike

I hope the mavic is intended for a life cycle longer than 2 to 3 years. I have other RC equipment that is over 10 years old.
Yeah I hope so as well! My mp is just 1.5-2 yrs old and I don’t have thousands of hours on it, there’s no way my wife is going to be on board with buying another fancier version of the still unblemished toy that I already have. It would be sad if I found one day that my bird just wont fly due to DJI not supporting their product anymore.

I'm not expecting new features for the Mavic Pro (1) but I would expect bug fixes. I and others reported bugs in the photography software that pretty much force one to use manual camera settings in some cases, which is a severe annoyance every time I fly -- not least because I'm fiddling with the settings for much of the time which impacts flight time.

The most annoying problems are:
  • Exposure bracketing (3 exposure) takes 3 photos but two have the same exposure
  • Similarly, 5-exposure bracketing takes 5 photos but two have the same exposure
  • The EXIF information (shutter speeds) recorded while exposure bracketing are nonsense
  • Automatic exposure for spherical panoramas (which I use almost every flight) is badly broken; it over-exposes by 2 stops. Using manual involves several steps and then undoing the setting after taking the panorama.
All of these were reported a year ago by me and others, and should surely be really easy to fix.

Mike
Ive noticed the same thing. I think dji just doesn’t care.

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Or possibly we are not using the correct 'official channel' to raise concerns like this to DJI. Hopefully some 'DJI Ambassador' is watching this ... ?

Life cycle could certainly longer than 2 to 3 years if you are not fly MP that frequently. But I guess that much less than 10% of MP would survived and still actively flied after 2 years owned by pilots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake