DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anyone else experienced uneven focus ?

Vibration can also cause a blurry image, or due to resonances a blur in one area of the image. To eliminate this take some test shots with the motors off and the Mavic resting completely still. Compare an image taken this way, with one in a hover from the same spot. Also, shutter speed can affect sharpness if vibration is present. Lastly very fine detail can appear blurred because of jpg compression and when being compressed by youtube.

Vibration can also cause a blurry image, or due to resonances a blur in one area of the image. To eliminate this take some test shots with the motors off and the Mavic resting completely still. Compare an image taken this way, with one in a hover from the same spot. Also, shutter speed can affect sharpness if vibration is present. Lastly very fine detail can appear blurred because of jpg compression and when being compressed by youtube.

I have done all of this as well as took photos on the ground with focus peaking enabled utilizing tap to focus and manual focus.

I recorded video of the screen as well as several flights to illustrate my Mavic and its inability to create sharp focus. I have shot landscape photography for many years and the images at varying focal distances where unusable due to the left side soft spot. It looked more like motion blur than it did DOF.

Mine has been sent back and now will wait with my fingered crossed I can get a better lens. My dad has a Mavic as well and the images side by side from his and mine are completely different.

I have done all of this as well as took photos on the ground with focus peaking enabled utilizing tap to focus and manual focus.

I recorded video of the screen as well as several flights to illustrate my Mavic and its inability to create sharp focus. I have shot landscape photography for many years and the images at varying focal distances where unusable due to the left side soft spot. It looked more like motion blur than it did DOF.

Mine has been sent back and now will wait with my fingered crossed I can get a better lens. My dad has a Mavic as well and the images side by side from his and mine are completely different.
Did DJI tell you how long it will take to get it fix?

Ok now I'm worried.... I've noticed this since the very beginning but figured it was user error....

Software/autofocus issue = can be fixed with update. (Hopefully)

Hardware issue = massive flaw in design/QC.... which is very bad news

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ok now I'm worried.... I've noticed this since the very beginning but figured it was user error....

Software/autofocus issue = can be fixed with update. (Hopefully)

Hardware issue = massive flaw in design/QC.... which is very bad news

Did you try enabling manual focus, and then use the slider to set infinity?

Mine is VERY BAD, here is a crop of the image where it is center focuses, you can see the upper left is just horribly out of focus. I just submitted an RMA. My freind just got his Mavic, his is perfect. (See attached photo)
Center Focus.jpg

someone claims it can be fixed by IMU calibration and camera settings reset.

Yes. My center I see crisp but sides are fuzzy. It is a known issue that they won't publicly admit.

Its a shame that DJI have not setup a page with known issues and how to resolve the issue i have checked the support page and this is not listed.

I submitted my RMA for bad camera on 11/1 and they sent an email stating my exchange for a new Mavic Pro has been approved and shipping Monday. They are willing to address issues. Several people have said the IMU and Gimbal Calibration noted in the video above has fixed the issue for them.

someone claims it can be fixed by IMU calibration and camera settings reset.

Thanks for the link, however I just tried all of those items and there was no change :(
Here is video of after the calibration: You can see the top left and middle focus totally off. From time stamp of 0 to 2 seconds you can see the top left image all blurry. Then I focused on the top left and at 3 second time stamp you can see it is in focus, but now the whole middle image is out of focus. I refocused to the middle at 12 seconds and you can then see how blurry the top left is again.

Thanks for the link, however I just tried all of those items and there was no change :(
Here is video of after the calibration: You can see the top left and middle focus totally off. From time stamp of 0 to 2 seconds you can see the top left image all blurry. Then I focused on the top left and at 3 second time stamp you can see it is in focus, but now the whole middle image is out of focus. I refocused to the middle at 12 seconds and you can then see how blurry the top left is again.
It cannot be fixed by any calibration or firmware update.
The soft focus at the edge of the frame is a hardware (camera) fault and necessitates replacement.

God I wish I had read about this. I probably would have never noticed. But...

upload_2016-11-23_13-52-11.png

Bottom right corner is OOF. If I tap there, it comes in clean, and top left goes out. I'm not concerned enough about it to justify RMAing the unit right now. Still enjoying the newness of it. Once that fades, and hopefully the supply/demand issues settle down a bit at DJI, I'll revisit the idea of a fix.

I sent in mine on Monday for the uneven focus issue, and I already have received notification that they have checked it out and are replacing the camera and gimbal under warranty.

I sent in mine on Monday for the uneven focus issue, and I already have received notification that they have checked it out and are replacing the camera and gimbal under warranty.
I don't mean to threadjack but what is involved in rmaing an MP? Who pays for shipping and where does it go?

I don't mean to threadjack but what is involved in rmaing an MP? Who pays for shipping and where does it go?

You start online by opening a repair order, then they send you a prepaid label. In my case it went to the repair center in Carson, CA. I live about 10 minutes away, but they wouldnt let me drop it off to save shipping time....:)

Reactions: erkme73
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21