DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anyone else experienced uneven focus ?

LuPo

Reactions
Have anyone else experienced uneven focus on mavic pro?:

description - 02:20

Last edited:
Reactions: fisherman
I saw these earlier and wondered why they look soft.. could be the guy doesn't know how to focus it.. other YouTube videos have some remarkable footage ..

I saw these earlier and wondered why they look soft.. could be the guy doesn't know how to focus it.. other YouTube videos have some remarkable footage ..
He said he was using the tap focusing and he flies an Inspire as well... sounds like a legit issue..

This issue also present in this video, at first I thought it only happen in pre-production unit, now I'm started to worry.

I am getting blur in the top right of the photo...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• DJI_0061-2.jpg
    DJI_0061-2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 294
  • DJI_0064.jpg
    DJI_0064.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 292
Same issue with all of my recordings to far.

In focus in the area that I tap, but out of focus everywhere else. I am tapping to focus multiple times to ensure I get close to infinity when I am flying, but nothing seems to help.

I have the same issue with uneven focus and bad soft spots. I have tried manual focus with focus peaking turned on, as well as C2 Center Auto Focus and tap to focus everywhere in the scene and it doesn't seem to help.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI just issued me a return for my Mavic Pro and this issue. After several tests there was no way to cure some of the soft out of focus areas of my images.
2b9d0c261f05522659ac343a49c83be7.jpg

There have been a couple of reports with the lens being installed improperly on the cameras. You will want to contact DJI to get an RMA. The issue causes putter edges or corners to look soft and nothing you do will make picture sharp in these areas. Here is a link to a YouTube vid with a user who is reporting the same issue.

Search YouTube for defective camera by SkyHi Aerial

my Mavic Pro delivered 10/31 does have a bit of this issue. it is soft (even when focused) on the right side of the image, more towards the center. the rest of the image is very, very sharp. i took 3 days worth of videos (which i loved) and frankly didn't even notice it until someone on another forum mentioned it to me viewing my video. after looking at them again myself and a bit of testing it is fairly clear it is "real" but it doesn't bother me much, I don't think I would notice if I didn't look for it since for me it is towards the edge of the image. my issue is closest to the video above with the waving japanese girl and not nearly as bad as some of the other examples. i don't intend to return my drone.

here are my first two videos in 4k for you to look at, any images where the entire shot is blurry for a bit is my own failure to tap to focus...

first video is straight out of the camera no editing:

second video has color changes in Apple iMovie:

took some more video this afternoon and in bright light it looks stunningly sharp focusing on something pretty close across the frame (brick wall) and shows only the slightest hints of the fuzzy right side when focused at something far away. even more odd is if the drone remains still the focusing issue can actually be seen to decrease and it looks sharper and only at high speed can you notice the soft focus on the right. my current theory is the lens IS *slightly* soft on the right side for me which is nearly hidden when lack of motion results in little compression but when moving rapidly the softness translates into more compression and macro blocking which makes it worse. you can actually see the focus appear to "sharpen" when the drone slows to a stop but its an artifact of compression rather than the lens itself.

It would be neat if we could all use a reference chart of sorts from a certain distance and take a couple shots and have someone with a good eye look at them! In lieu of that, I am pretty happy with my Mavic Pro. The stills are quite good - the video a little less so probably due to the moving focus thing. DJI may be able to create a "fixed focus" setting for those who don't want to tap. The tap, IMHO, does give you some better photos in close up situations.
Here is a video I made tonight - has a still photo in the beginning and end.

I have the same issue. The right side of the frame is blurry. I did tap to focus in the middle. tmp_22141-DJI_0016-1728454765.jpg

That's how it is on all DJI's less expensive birds (lower than the Inspire 1). The Phantom 3 had this badly , some Phantoms 4 as well. Their QC is just not good, and you will be lucky to get a good sensor or camera. Sometimes the sensor inside is placed just a tad uneven. Anyway, even if you return the bird, they will say (a) as designed or (b) not say anything and return a different camera or bird, which might or might not have a similar problem. Thing is, some sensors are great (perfect), while others have it badly. Not much you can do unless returning it until you get a good one. You might never get a good one, and DJI will never state there is a problem.

I did my first test flight this weekend, and after a tap to focus the focus was fuzzy on the left side whike the center and right were clear. I still think it was my fault for not doing a proper infinity focus, and I'll try again this weekend.

But have those with these focus issues using iOS devices enabled the manual focusing option in the GO App? (my understanding is that it is not yet available in the android app) Once enabled you can toggle between auto and manual focus, then use a slider to make it focus at its maximum infinity state. Once there you can test your footage again to see if it's still a problem.

It would be neat if we could all use a reference chart of sorts from a certain distance and take a couple shots and have someone with a good eye look at them! In lieu of that, I am pretty happy with my Mavic Pro. The stills are quite good - the video a little less so probably due to the moving focus thing. DJI may be able to create a "fixed focus" setting for those who don't want to tap. The tap, IMHO, does give you some better photos in close up situations.
Here is a video I made tonight - has a still photo in the beginning and end.
Your Vimeo video appears to be 720 resolution, fuzzy. Did you upload 1080? I didn't see any adjustments on Vimeo like they have with YouTube, so I assume it's native to your upload.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan