DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anyone else experienced uneven focus ?

I finally had a chance to look at my videos from November before all firmware updates and upon closer inspection, I've had the right side focus issues since day one. I just never noticed it until I really had a hard look at it. Looks like another defective unit.

I finally had a chance to look at my videos from November before all firmware updates and upon closer inspection, I've had the right side focus issues since day one. I just never noticed it until I really had a hard look at it. Looks like another defective unit.
Mine has the same issue-- if I use the infinite focus it's blurry on the right-hand side. It works if I tap the screen to focus. I received my mavic the week before christmas

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

Mine has the same issue-- if I use the infinite focus it's blurry on the right-hand side. It works if I tap the screen to focus. I received my mavic the week before christmas

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app
So it works if you tap to focus on a specific object? If you tap to focus into the distance and set it to infinite it's still blurry? I'm doing more testing this Monday, but I'm pretty sure mines defective.

After reading this thread a while ago, I went through my pictures and found that I had the same problem. After sending DJI a couple of pictures showing this, they sent me a return label, and I sent it in. Just got it back tonight (sent it in 10 days ago) and initial tests show this one seems to be good (fingers x'ed!). I got back a new unit with different serial #.

The way I was able to initially tell was that I flew it up to 100 ft, and put the distant horizon along the middle of the frame. With a good unit, if you tap to focus on any point along the horizon, every other point (at the same distance) should be in focus as well, no matter where else it is in the frame. With mine, I found that if I tapped to focus on the left side of the horizon, the right side of the horizon was blurry. If I tapped on the right side of the horizon, the left side was blurry. With my new unit, I can tap to focus anywhere along the horizon line and the rest still stays in focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: avanti1963
That's good to hear! I still have to send mine in. What's the wait time from when they sent you the return label to the unit arriving?

I got my label and actually mailed it Friday before last, and just got the replacement unit today - so I ended up being Mavic-less for a total of 10 days. But I was on travel during seven of those, which helped mitigate the pain. ;-)

I got my label and actually mailed it Friday before last, and just got the replacement unit today - so I ended up being Mavic-less for a total of 10 days. But I was on travel during seven of those, which helped mitigate the pain. ;-)
Good to know, I can live with that time frame. Did you have dji refresh?

I have dji refresh but it didn't get used- problem was fixed under warranty. I double checked my dji refresh coverage after I got it back, and they moved the new unit serial # over to my dji refresh plan and it still shows as unused.

Sending mine off Monday. Let's hope the replacement is ok and here before my Los cabos vacation in early March.

Casted from my throne using Tapatalk

Finally received my UPS label....
What did you guys send to DJI? Just the Mavic itself, or the whole fly more package?

Hi guys I am having same issue with uneven/spot focus in right bottom corner. I firstly thought that it is something to do with protective cover when I flew for the first time but even after removing this protective clear gimbal and camera plastic I could still see patchy out of focus mark on every footage. What is worse I bought my Mavic in US in February 2017 and I am currently on the business in Brazil until end of June 2017. and not sure how Dji will handle this :( Brazil is crazy when it comes to importing stuff and high tax applies on virtually everything. I need to contact Dji and see how this can be resolved

Attachments

• DJI_0014_Moment(6).jpg
    DJI_0014_Moment(6).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
  • DJI_0092_Moment.jpg
    DJI_0092_Moment.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
  • DJI_0014_Moment.jpg
    DJI_0014_Moment.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 43
With a good unit, if you tap to focus on any point along the horizon

Just a little note about hyperfocal distance. This is completely independent of the uneven-focus issue, so do what you need to do to diagnose the focus issue. Then keep this in mind for any future shots.

If you focus exactly ON the horizon, then everything from about 1000 meters to the horizon will be in acceptable focus, and also about everything 2000 meters PAST the horizon will also be in acceptable focus. This is kind of a waste of focal distance, if you want as much to be in focus as possible. Instead, focus on something that is a bit closer, say 1000 meters away. Then everything from 250 meters to 2000 meters away will be in acceptable focus; the horizon may be a tiny bit blurry. For every lens, there is an ideal "hyperfocal" distance where you get the maximum depth of focus without wasting any range past the horizon. Textbooks will say that it is roughly a third of the way from your camera to the horizon, but with aerial shots and much farther horizons, that may be a bit too simplistic.

well sadly to say, but just after a couple of weeks later I start seeing this issue, I wonder if it was related to the latest firmware update. In the begging didnt have focusing issue I think, oh well.

My focus is horrible.
At first i thought it was my fault.
Calibration fix it but only for 10 minutes or so.
Restart of app can fix it sometimes but it will come back every time.

Had it for 3 days in i will go to the store later today and talk with them what to do (give me a new one).

Attachments

• DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 25
Does the newer Mavic won't have this issue? Say production after Mar, May....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme