DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

have DJI become victims of their own success

What competition? I was looking at ag drones for spraying last year and all the non DJI drones I could find were made with DJI parts!

GoPro were getting kinda close with the karma but gave up and closed their drone division.

Agricultural drones are a very specific market, but not left solely to DJI or the Chinese. In fact, the Japanese are and were forerunners in the AG drone market for years. They are also dominant with their land based Kubota machinery. Kubotas are the go-to machine for most of Asia.

My advice to you, if you do buy an Ag drone that has DJI parts, and uses DJI firmware, youd better plant twice as much. Waiting for parts if it breaks might take one entire growing season, and the firmware might spray the wrong plots of land.

I saw the Yamaha Rmax in action and its a monster, and super reliable.

A year in technology equates to a lifetime.

It depends who you are. If you got used to having the latest and greatest in tech, again, one year is a long time. DJIs track record of multiple annual new release drones is what we have to go by. Anticipation has grown for their products, and it is due to their ability to release them. Back to the subject of the thread, has DJI become a victim of their own success... apparently so.

Thats is exactly what they have been doing for years. Phantom 4 vs. Mavic Pro. Phantom 4 Pro v2 vs. Mavic 2. Mavic Air vs. Spark. Just so they could stay competitive with other brands. Shooting themselves in the foot must hurt, and they have done it many times.

That has been their modus operandi from day 1.

I wouldnt say none. The competition smells the blood trail. Can DJI keep pace? Stayed tuned for the next chapter of the saga...
Just be thankful all you guys for the fantastic level of technology we have in these DJI drones.
I am amazed at what my Mavic Air can do,
Why have we got to constantly have more advanced. Stop grousing and get out and fly and enjoy yourselves.

Just be thankful all you guys for the fantastic level of technology we have in these DJI drones.
I am amazed at what my Mavic Air can do,
Why have we got to constantly have more advanced. Stop grousing and get out and fly and enjoy yourselves.
my original post was not to moan about the fact that there were no advancements in the pipe line from DJI,with regards to new models,but to invite discussion as to why this may be ,we are all amazed,by the tech that DJI have brought to the market place for the hobby UAV flyer, i think as i have said before, that it is going to be very hard for DJI to better what we already have

Reactions: Former Member
my original post was not to moan about the fact that there were no advancements in the pipe line from DJI,with regards to new models,but to invite discussion as to why this may be ,we are all amazed,by the tech that DJI have brought to the market place for the hobby UAV flyer, i think as i have said before, that it is going to be very hard for DJI to better what we already have

Bravo maestro. Bravo! ?

Reactions: old man mavic
Finally, with the EVO there seems to be some competition.
Nonetheless it looks like a blunt copy of the Mavic series.
Moreover it appears to be 1 year behind except for the 60 fps.

More alternative AC suggestions out there?

EDIT: A crucial aspect is the reliability. I guess the reliability of the core functionality of the Mavic (1, 2?) series is close to 100% when viewed over the miles flown.
At least that's what my experience was ;)

Last edited:
Mavic 1 is terrible for reliability. I lost an M1P and an M1PP to the dreaded compass error. Another M1PP blew an ESC up and was written off.

M2P has been very reliable after 700 flights and 7000km. Not a single navigation system error.
Finally, with the EVO there seems to be some competition.
Nonetheless it looks like a blunt copy of the Mavic series.
Moreover it appears to be 1 year behind except for the 60 fps.

More alternative AC suggestions out there?

EDIT: A crucial aspect is the reliability. I guess the reliability of the core functionality of the Mavic (1, 2?) series is close to 100% when viewed over the miles flown.
At least that's what my experience was ;)

Mavic 1 is terrible for reliability. I lost an M1P and an M1PP to the dreaded compass error. Another M1PP blew an ESC up and was written off.

M2P has been very reliable after 700 flights and 7000km. Not a single navigation system error.
I thought about excluding the compass error because most of the time it is pilot error.
How did that ESC blew up though? Not a common error I assume?

Pushing it hard with modded parameters. Can't blame DJI for that, but the main issue with M1P is navigation errors.

The stupid thing is Occusync knows how far apart the AC and RC are, which is how it enforces the 17.9km distance limit. If the AC knows its GPS position but not the heading, why didn't they program it to display on the map?

All a pilot needs to do is push forward to determine heading.

I thought about excluding the compass error because most of the time it is pilot error.
How did that ESC blew up though? Not a common error I assume?

Personally I think we give to much business to China. I'd like to see a US MFGer design and market a comparable UMA quadcopter . We need to bring more jobs home .
Other countries could follow China's lead and start ripping off their stolen tech. But their labor costs are going to be hard to beat in most places.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329