DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have had trouble understanding computers for Davinci Resolve

Yes I Went to buy it actually, but the price change led me to try to negotiate it back to where it was. Apparently I’m not that smooth and Best Buy said no.

It was a massive screen. I want it to be easily portable, but only in my own home, mostly on a table. So it’s size I see as a positive not a Negative.
I PM’d a question

Yes I Went to buy it actually, but the price change led me to try to negotiate it back to where it was. Apparently I’m not that smooth and Best Buy said no.

It was a massive screen. I want it to be easily portable, but only in my own home, mostly on a table. So it’s size I see as a positive not a Negative.
I PM’d a question

I checked and no PM ?

Just ordered this

Alienware 17 inch FHD (1920 x 1080)
i7 8750h (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
16gb RAM
256 SSD, 1TB hdd
Nvidia 1070 8GB

Reactions: drone_video
Just got the new laptop
Alienware i7 8750
16gb ram
1tg hdd 256 ssd
Nvidia 1060

So far I’ve set it up, it doesn’t have the slot for my sd card. Not a big deal obviously, I’ll buy one tomorrow, but I got a video onto it and have been playing with Davinci.

Obviously this is the honeymoon phase and I have done basically nothing with it. But the video was shot in 2.7k and it plays live while editing.

It is unreal!!! I went from a 1 minute clip showing maybe 3 clips, to not missing any. I was nervous it would have issues, but from what I’ve seen thus far it has been great.

It may be less than the power than the fancy expensive computers, but I am learning.
This will let me use the program and edit, and let me think I can learn to do amazing stuff.

Once I get actual clips to edit I’ll post one. Y’all will probably chuckle, but I’ll be thinking I’m going pro!

Just got the new laptop
Alienware i7 8750
16gb ram
1tg hdd 256 ssd
Nvidia 1060

So far I’ve set it up, it doesn’t have the slot for my sd card. Not a big deal obviously, I’ll buy one tomorrow, but I got a video onto it and have been playing with Davinci.

Obviously this is the honeymoon phase and I have done basically nothing with it. But the video was shot in 2.7k and it plays live while editing.

It is unreal!!! I went from a 1 minute clip showing maybe 3 clips, to not missing any. I was nervous it would have issues, but from what I’ve seen thus far it has been great.

It may be less than the power than the fancy expensive computers, but I am learning.
This will let me use the program and edit, and let me think I can learn to do amazing stuff.

I’m excited for you. Don’t be shy about trying a 4K video. I think you will be pleased with that also.

Reactions: Butterland
Yes I absolutely will! The video I had was a terrible one, it was all blown out and not smooth flight at all.
Even so, it was so much **** fun editing the 1 minute worth of video. And it looks a lot better than pre edit.

Makes me feel like I can use the drone and the editing together like I always wanted! I’m planning on flying tomorrow and taking some clips I can actually use!

Feel like a giddy child, thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I dont hit walls with the computer anytime soon

I just got an email that my purpose built for Davinci Resolve 15 desktop is ready to pick up. I can imagine some time to set it all up and to learn windows 10. I have used Premier Pro for many years so hopefully the DR learning curve is not too steep. Maybe i will revisit some of my old video as well.

Reactions: Butterland
Yes I absolutely will! The video I had was a terrible one, it was all blown out and not smooth flight at all.
Even so, it was so much **** fun editing the 1 minute worth of video. And it looks a lot better than pre edit.

Makes me feel like I can use the drone and the editing together like I always wanted! I’m planning on flying tomorrow and taking some clips I can actually use!

Feel like a giddy child, thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I dont hit walls with the computer anytime soon

So how’s your first video project going ?

It’s going good, I’m super slow and it doesn’t look great, but the computer works really well! I adjust one frame to look cool and then it looks weird in other frames.
There are so many options to edit with that I spend half the time trying to try everything, then reset and try it one notch different.

I’m trying to make one now that is like 2 min long or so and I’ve spent probably 3hrs in the first minute. I love doing it though so it’s been very fun.
Now I’m much more impressed seeing others “first video edit” posts. I’ll put mine here, but I don’t wanna draw attention to it haha. I suck pretty bad right now but I’m having fun.

TLDR:
The Alienware 17inch r5 16gb Ram with Nvidia 1070 and 256ssd 1tb hdd has worked very well so far

I guess I should add that I only shoot in 2.7k for no reason but that’s what I set it at when I first got the drone and my screen is less than that anyways.

Have not had to use any optimized media or anything yet, it all has played fine at full frame rate, no dropped frames

Heres my first edit, I used a bunch of different options, some right, some wrong. It took a long time because I had to keep changing and redoing everything a few times to figure anything out haha. insane amount of options, and insane amount to learn.

heres the youtube link

Heres my first edit, I used a bunch of different options, some right, some wrong. It took a long time because I had to keep changing and redoing everything a few times to figure anything out haha. insane amount of options, and insane amount to learn.

heres the youtube link

That’s a great video. Of course refinements can be made but that’s true of any video. Every one you make you will find something you don’t like and want to do better next time. It might be passion for the craft.

How’s the machine and over all experience with the software ? Do you find it’s very smooth video and your not waiting around to do your edits ?

What project you doing next ? Really want to see what you can do after you have a few of these under your belt.

Congrats on your first competed project.

I guess I should add that I only shoot in 2.7k for no reason but that’s what I set it at when I first got the drone and my screen is less than that anyways.

Have not had to use any optimized media or anything yet, it all has played fine at full frame rate, no dropped frames

You should switch over to 4K. No reason not to use it even if your screen is Less than 4K today.

I’ll try to remember to switch it to 4K. Honestly the only reason is because I set it to 2.7k first and haven’t switched it back.

For what I’ve done the computers been amazing! I think I had 6 maybe 7 nodes on one of the clips, but usually like 3-4, with the video playing at full frame rate and without using optimized media.

The only “slow”part was the fusion intro(you know it was cool).
For some reason it had to reload any change I made before it played it back, probably took 1 minute. Otherwise adding a video change was instant, with perfect frame rates

I was very worried that I’d spend so much on a computer and not be able to run Davinci, but so far I haven’t been able to edit enough to make it blink

I am trying to budget a computer upgrade for Davinci

Currently have i5-4200 8GB with 950m 2GB GPU, and need 1/4 resolution optimised media to do anything.

The best I could afford (and that is a big stretch to afford) would be an MSI 17"with i7-8750 16GB, and 6GB 1060 GPU. Can't stretch to 1070.

Has anyone used this sort of config with Davinci - likely to get smooth 4k video playback? Or will I still need optimised video? (ie keep saving)

I can’t speak for that one, but as the 1070 in mine has been so solid I would think if the only drawback was the 1060 it would still be capable. How much is that msi

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929