DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you (a Part 107 Pilot) ever been granted permission to fly in the Washington DC NFZ?

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I have my Part 107 License and I live on the Hampton Road Peninsula. I live within both the Zero Altitude Quadrant of Langley AFB's Class D Airspace, and within the Class D Airspace of the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport airspace, where Air Force One (the President's plane) does touch and goes, also overlaps my home too, and not far away is Fort Eustis' Felker Army Airfield.

I usually do not have any problem getting an Authorization from FAADroneZone to fly most everyplace…

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

My question is for the Part 107 Pilots who fly professionally in the Washington DC area… Is it even possible to get an authorization or waiver to fly your drone within the Washington DC NFZ even to do a roof inspection, construction inspection, real estate shoot, etc…

When I wrote to the FAA UAS Help Center asking this question, their response was I would need to make an application and then they would have to review it and only then could they make a determination. They were not going to even respond hypothetically...

As the old saying goes, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know…"

Last edited:
Reactions: Illuminata Photo
I have my Part 107 License and I live on the Hampton Road Peninsula. I live within both the Zero Altitude Quadrant of Langley AFB's Class D Airspace, and within the Class D Airspace of the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport airspace, where Air Force One (the President's plane) does touch and goes, also overlaps my home too, and not far away is Fort Eustis' Felker Army Airfield.

I usually do not have any problem getting an Authorization from FAADroneZone to fly most everyplace…

View attachment 175794

My question is for the Part 107 Pilots who fly professionally in the Washington DC area… Is it even possible to get an authorization or waiver to fly your drone within the Washington DC NFZ even to do a roof inspection, construction inspection, real estate shoot, etc…

When I wrote to the FAA UAS Help Center asking this question, their response was I would need to make an application and then they would have to review it and only then could they make a determination. They were not going to even respond hypothetically...

As the old saying goes, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know…"
The FAA would likely need to know the limits of your flight, height, time and dates. They may actually look for an opening when there won't be any scheduled NFZ flights in your area.

I never flown near a zone so locked down, so I can't speak from experience for your area that looks really challenging. I have flown within sight of our local international airport for real estate photos. I apply through Navdrone and as long as I'm limiting my height below 130 feet or so, they were fine and gave me permission to fly right away. This was with my Matrice 30.

Reactions: LoudThunder
The FAA would likely need to know the limits of your flight, height, time and dates.
Thank you for your reply, Yeah I know they want all the detail which is why they will not even give me hint if it is possible. I have never had any issues getting access to fly almost all of the areas where I live as indicated on the map.

I am also active on the Pilot Institute's Community 101 and a lot of new members log on every day and most are newbies taking the Part 107 Course and many those who live in or near the Washington DC NFZ complain that they cannot fly their drones unless they drive for miles…

I was curious if it is even possible to fly there even after they get their Part 107 Certifications.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, Yeah I know they want all the detail which is why they will not even give me hint if it is possible. I have never had any issues getting access to fly almost all of the areas where I live as indicated on the map.

I am also active on the Pilot Institute's Community 101 and a lot of new members log on every day and most are newbies taking the Part 107 Course and many those who live in or near the Washington DC NFZ complain that they cannot fly their drones unless that drive for miles…

I was curious if it is even possible to fly there even after they get their Part 107 Certifications.
I guess it's possible since you see footage from movies and documentaries. But I'd imagine it could be an expensive process getting permission, like in New York nowadays.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inventoryahead0