DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting Permission to Fly in a NOTAM No Fly Zone

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
Just a quick question about getting an Authorization or Waiver through the FAADroneZone under Part 107 to fly in a No Fly Zone, like the one that circles Washington DC. A new member, who just got their Part 107 lives in Fairfax, VA and it is inside the NOTAM No Fly Zone around Washington DC and they sy that they drive 30-minutes away just to fly their new Mini 3

I cannot imagine that in that huge area, not a single drone can lift off for commercial purposes.

Does any of our members who have their Part 107 have any experience requesting a waiver? Was it approved and for what period? How long did it take the FAA to respond whether it was approved or disapproved?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

no fly.png

Just a quick question about getting an Authorization or Waiver through the FAADroneZone under Part 107 to fly in a No Fly Zone, like the one that circles Washington DC. A new member, who just got their Part 107 lives in Fairfax, VA and it is inside the NOTAM No Fly Zone around Washington DC and they sy that they drive 30-minutes away just to fly their new Mini 3

I cannot imagine that in that huge area, not a single drone can lift off for commercial purposes.

Does any of our members who have their Part 107 have any experience requesting a waiver? Was it approved and for what period? How long did it take the FAA to respond whether it was approved or disapproved?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

View attachment 155073
Hi...I've had more than a few people (droners, private pilots, etc) lament what an insane airspace this area is. I live just outside of the funny looking notch over in Bowie. Aside from all of the airports and specific government entities scattered about, the key is the 2 big concentric rings centered on DC. It's my understanding it's nigh impossible to fly a drone in the FRZ (freeze), the inner most circle. Your arrow seems to point to somewhere near the Occoquan Reservoir which looking at the attached graphic, while under the Class B triple wedding cake that covers pretty much the whole area from the 3 major airports, in my mind looks ok to fly following all the usual airspace conventions. It's the same situation I have over here in South Bowie not far from Six Flags. The bigger outer circle is largely a speed restriction for aircraft entering it.

The "notch" over here is due to Freeway Airport. A friend who used to fly out of Freeway commented at some point that the accommodation was made as a result of one of the 9-11 terrorist pilots attempting to take flying lessons there...to fly...but not to land...and he was refused. I have no way of verifying this.

Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• 2022-09-25_09-31-18.png
    2022-09-25_09-31-18.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 2022-09-25_09-55-38.png
    2022-09-25_09-55-38.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Restricted Airspace is different than Controlled Airspace. TFR’s too. I get LAANC clearance pretty often to fly under B C D airspace. But even with clearance, FAA sets you a max alt and a red box in which to fly. You may only get 100ft altitude in your box. Maybe 300. It depends on distance to the runway, vectors, and more.
But DC restricted airspace? $%@# No. I don’t even want my creds listed on a FAA denial into restricted airspace.
The hoops and hurdles to hopefully fly in RED airspace some day are just not worth it IMO.
But I wish you the best in flying wherever you legally can fly or get clearance to fly.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll