DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you done your advanced flight review?

drone111

Reactions
Hello,

The flight review required for commercial purposes. Have you done it? Who did you use and how did you find the exam? General comments?

Hello,

The flight review required for commercial purposes. Have you done it? Who did you use and how did you find the exam? General comments?
You won't need the advanced to fly commercially only to fly within 5.6 km of an airport or closer than 30 m to people.
Cheers

Hello,

I found that it would help if one thought of the exam as a pilot exam as there were many questions contained in the exam that pertained to flying an airplane rather than flying a drone from the ground. Think like a pilot and it will help. I assume eventually the test questions will become more drone related. It appeared that the Government grabbed a number of questions from Flight School exams and inserted them to fill up the 50 questions in total and also to trip one up. Doing 50 questions within 60 minutes, one cannot spend much time per question. A tough exam with an 80% score level to pass.

Hey! Congrats Bruce. That was quick. Any study material you can point to for those of us still wondering how to approach the advanced exam?

Once again. Congrats on opening the door to the big leagues.
Bob M.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Hey! Congrats Bruce. That was quick. Any study material you can point to for those of us still wondering how to approach the advanced exam?

Once again. Congrats on opening the door to the big leagues.
Bob M.
you can email me: [email protected] of course I cannot remember the exact questions but I can help you with some study topics and ideas.

Hey all, congratulations from the US. Just curious what your Advanced Flight Review entails? I just recieved my 107 certificate from our FAA, now can finally start out on some fun projects that will require that too. Cheers!

Tip: One needs to think like an aircraft pilot in order to study, write, and pass this exam. If one had taken Aircraft Ground School then the test would be much easier. There are a number of rule/regulation questions which we all need to know. In my opinion the exam had far too many aircraft related 'pilot questions' and had it not been for my knowledge of aircraft and flying, I would not have passed. There were questions about radio frequencies of course and reading navigation maps and NOTAM's. No surprise there. The biggest issue I had with the tests was that 50 questions in 60 minutes was a bit tight and the test contained too many unrelated questions...questions unrelated to drones and safe drone pilot practices. It would be interesting to learn what kinds of questions are on the USA exam.

Tip: One needs to think like an aircraft pilot in order to study, write, and pass this exam. If one had taken Aircraft Ground School then the test would be much easier. There are a number of rule/regulation questions which we all need to know. In my opinion the exam had far too many aircraft related 'pilot questions' and had it not been for my knowledge of aircraft and flying, I would not have passed. There were questions about radio frequencies of course and reading navigation maps and NOTAM's. No surprise there. The biggest issue I had with the tests was that 50 questions in 60 minutes was a bit tight and the test contained too many unrelated questions...questions unrelated to drones and safe drone pilot practices. It would be interesting to learn what kinds of questions are on the USA exam.

It sounds like ours in the US is more pertinent to sUAV’s than yours. Seemed like NOTAMS and airspace / sectional reading related questions were the most prevelent. Some weather related, too, and a lot about safety and operation. Some of my favorites were those related to reading sectionals, I love maps so that part was easy for me. Questions like what are the Lat and Longs of ao and so airport? If you are NE of so and so airport, what direction should you fly if a pilot announces they are approaching the airport midfield on the downwind leg? And how high can you fly AGL above the structure located at so and so Lat and Long if the cloud base is 1250’ above MSL? (Solution hint- its a multi step solution because based on what you can see on the given sectional, that cloud base is closer to the tower than the maximum legal distance you can fly over the tower).

The test process from studying for it to taking it was actually rather fun, I learned so much about the aeronautical field. One suggestion I have for anyone studying for it is to buy a real paper sectional to carry around and study from before the test. The online ones are ok, but that paper one is chock full of great information and accessible everywhere you go! I keep one with my local region in my flight case for reference since we have so many MOA’s in the desert.

Last edited:
I was talking about the FLIGHT REVIEW part and not the written exam. Had already passed that part. Anyone have any experience with whats expected with the flight review?

Congrats good to see you got it done. I think I've pretty much decided that I'm going to keep my drone flying as a hobby.
Cheers

To be honest I think the advanced test will keep a lot more "hobby" traders from trying to be more commercial. That's not an opinion about you but the advanced exam is NOT easy and you'll have to be pretty determined to get the education to be able to pass it

Reactions: Bruce D
To be honest I think the advanced test will keep a lot more "hobby" traders from trying to be more commercial. That's not an opinion about you but the advanced exam is NOT easy and you'll have to be pretty determined to get the education to be able to pass it
As I've stated previously you can fly commercially with the basic certificate, what you can not do is fly in restricted airspace ie. within 5.6 km of an airport or closer than 30 m of a crowd.
Cheers

As I've stated previously you can fly commercially with the basic certificate, what you can not do is fly in restricted airspace ie. within 5.6 km of an airport or closer than 30 m of a crowd.
Cheers
And the VAST majority of commercial work is going to take place 1) flying over a building or within 30 m from it (which would be any real estate photograph) 2) Flying over people (MANY 2d/3d mapping would require flying over people if you look at industries like mining or search and rescue) and 3) many many businesses are within these boundaries of the control zones of airports or the km distance you speak about.

So yes, it will keep many hobbyist who think they can just start up a business think twice.

Reactions: Bruce D
DJI has finally released a list of their drones that meet the regulations for flying with an advanced flight certificate.

The Compliant drones are:
• M600 Series • M200 Series • M200 V2 Series • Inspire 2Mavic 2 series • Mavic Pro • Mavic Air • Phantom 4 series • Spark

More drones may follow.
Cheers

DJI has finally released a list of their drones that meet the regulations for flying with an advanced flight certificate.

The Compliant drones are:
• M600 Series • M200 Series • M200 V2 Series • Inspire 2Mavic 2 series • Mavic Pro • Mavic Air • Phantom 4 series • Spark

More drones may follow.
Cheers

Sucks that you can't fly over people though ... had some cool shots planned

Hello,

It doesn’t sound like you really got any answer- I have mine coming up and also want to know.

Hello,

The attached file is the a best practices from the BC area it is a little dated and yet still provides great insight into what the expectation is for UAV pilots around controlled airspace. You will need to know this stuff when you take the flight review. Some of the requirements of the flight review is a good understanding of airspace, due to the privilege you are accorded when you pass.

Attachments

• VR FIR UAV BEST PRACTICES VRUAV-2017A FINAL RS (2).pdf
    876.9 KB · Views: 29
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu