DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you ever encountered a Law Enforcement Official (LEO) while flying? What happened?

OMG, yes, in Spain it's a freaking problem with Aeroscope, they install it everywhere in big cities, I hate that!
Barcelona, Valencia, and Madrid are all complete No-Fly Zones, recently they fined a guy 220K euros for flying in Barcelona, also tracked him by aeroscope.
Because they put CTRs like HUGE radius (about 20 km radius around airport) and there is NO WAY to get authorization to fly.
AESA don't respond to emails basically, so no way to fly legally.
I'm from Spain but from Mallorca, yes, aeroscope is here too (probably) but I'm 20 km away from controlled airspace, however one time I was flying on the edge of controlled airspace and a helicopter came to my location to check out the situation, hovered and circled the area where I was flying for a couple of minutes, and then went away...
That seems ridiculous. Is there anyway to complain. Luckily don’t have any of that here in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I was flying a drone in downtown Tucson on a relatively narrow street. Police officer walked by. He could certainly see what I was doing. Never stopped or asked any questions. But I had my 'stuff' with me - registration and Test results, just in case.

But flew in a state park in New Mexico, after checking their website which said drones were welcome there, and a volunteer at the park approached and told me that I couldn't fly a drone there. I replied, "Gosh, I checked your website which said otherwise. I wouldn't fly if it was not permitted." But I brought it down and put it away - as I was pretty much done with what I wanted to photograph. It appears that you can fly in state parks, but they don't want you flying over campsites, which seemed to be her issue.

Is there anyway to complain.
Not that I know of. AESA (the Spanish version of the FAA) just doesn't reply to emails, their airspace unlocking system is not working (website is down).
People tried to complain in emails writing directly to AESA, they just ignore any emails. Spanish style...

Reactions: EliteBleader
I was flying my Air2S on the beach, near Port Canaveral, when two officers approached me. I landed the drone and they told me I was not allowed to fly in Port Canaveral. I told them that the Port was not allowed to regulate drones as per Florida law and, that I was below the mean high tide line therefore on State land. Their job was to move me out of there without a big controversy. I agree to leave before any escalation occurred. While leaving I asked how they found me and was told that the military base on the north side of the Port gave them my exact location. Note that the Police report contained my drone registration number even though I did not give it to them. (boring details to follow to answer obvious questions). I was flying on a weekend when, according to the KXMR chart supplement the tower is closed and the airspace reverts to class G. Additionally, tourist helicopters fly in the same general area I was in. Lastly, the Port has a drone and creates video for Port business all in the area.

Not exactly law enforcement, but similar...

Back in 2015, when flying a drone was like the Wild West, I had the urge to fly my Phantom 2 around the circumference of the 1.2-km diameter Meteor Crater in Arizona. I researched the best location to launch from such that I could conduct this operation without being bothered and without bothering anyone else. Using Google Maps I found a remote intersection on a public dirt road. I rented a car and trekked out there for some flights.

My first sortie was as spectacular as it was uneventful. Made it to the crater and partially around the rim. No flight issues.

While changing the battery, I noticed a white pickup truck heading toward me on the empty dirt road. It was Meteor Crater security. He stopped and confronted me. He told me to stop what I was doing and leave the area. I don't think he knew exactly what I was doing, he just didn't want me there. I said I was on public land and had a right to be where I was. After a few minutes of back and forth he squawked something into his radio and left.

I started my 2nd sortie. A few minutes later, he drives back-- this time with his boss in a blue SUV. They both get out and confront me now. At first things are tense. They told me that the road is public but if my drone falls anywhere to the left of the road I would be trespassing if I went to recover it. They also said the airspace above the crater was owned by Meteor Crater Inc.🙄 At this point I start to bring the P2 back, with GoPro filming the scene in case something happened.

But things cooled off quickly when I told them I had just visited the Meteor Crater and took the tour (paid admission) and was not just a troublemaker. They then told me that they've had problems with people parking here and hiking up to the rim of the crater, drinking beer and such. I explained what I was doing and that the video of the crater would end up on YouTube and could possibly lead to more business for the attraction. That seemed to satisfy them and they left on peaceful terms. Not wanting any more attention, I left shortly after.

Here's a snapshot of the two security folks watching what I'm doing:

G0030130_mod.jpg

Here's the final video of the Crater. BTW, I highly recommend visiting Meteor Crater if you get a chance. Just leave your Mavic in the car. :p

Not exactly law enforcement, but similar...

Back in 2015, when flying a drone was like the Wild West, I had the urge to fly my Phantom 2 around the circumference of the 1.2-km diameter Meteor Crater in Arizona. I researched the best location to launch from such that I could conduct this operation without being bothered and without bothering anyone else. Using Google Maps I found a remote intersection on a public dirt road. I rented a car and trekked out there for some flights.

My first sortie was as spectacular as it was uneventful. Made it to the crater and partially around the rim. No flight issues.

Here's the final video of the Crater. BTW, I highly recommend visiting Meteor Crater if you get a chance. Just leave your Mavic in the car. :p

Interesting to see the prop blades at the beginning. Never saw that before in a drone video. Guess things have changed a bit in 7 years! It was very helpful to see the size reference with the football field in the video. Really helps us to understand how huge the place is.
Wonder if they allow drones now? Heck, they could charge a hefty fee for drone flying...

Reactions: R.Cowan
I had a park ranger approach me at Red Rocks near Denver a couple years back. He told me no drones are allowed in Denver city parks, to land the drone. So, I complied making sure I captured as much video as I could before landing. The ranger was pleasant about it. I complied. Think someone ratted me out, since I had only been flying for less than 5 minutes.

Think someone ratted me out,
Nah, it probably was just that the ranger saw you or your drone. As you say it was less than 5-minutes and that's not much time for a bystander to figure out what you were doing, then decide to call or find a ranger, then the ranger had to respond, and then find you... I always do a "security" check before flying. I look for anything that might become an issue: folks with kids or dogs, unsavory groups, authority figures (police, security guards, rangers, etc...). Better to Be Safe than be sorry...

OMG, yes, in Spain it's a freaking problem with Aeroscope, they install it everywhere in big cities, I hate that!
Barcelona, Valencia, and Madrid are all complete No-Fly Zones, recently they fined a guy 220K euros for flying in Barcelona, also tracked him by aeroscope.
Because they put CTRs like HUGE radius (about 20 km radius around airport) and there is NO WAY to get authorization to fly.
AESA don't respond to emails basically, so no way to fly legally.
I'm from Spain but from Mallorca, yes, aeroscope is here too (probably) but I'm 20 km away from controlled airspace, however one time I was flying on the edge of controlled airspace and a helicopter came to my location to check out the situation, hovered and circled the area where I was flying for a couple of minutes, and then went away...
I am new to drone flying and planning a trip to Barcelona in Sept. Using the dji safe fly webpage it doesn't show any large amounts of no-fly zones. I am going to put in a request to see what happens but for example the Castell de Montjunc is an approved area for flying as well as Plaza de toros Monumental de Barcelona. I don't see this large CTR everyone is talking about in the DJI Fly Safe webpage.

Using the dji safe fly webpage it doesn't show any large amounts of no-fly zones.
Yeah, DJI geofencing often misses a lot.

Here in Canada DJI will let me fly in plenty of places that Transport Canada has placed off-limits without a better pilot certificate than I have and prior authorization (not the same thing as DJI unlocking).

Check with the Spanish authorities rather than trusting DJI on this one.

Reactions: LoudThunder
The only time I've encountered a cop while flying a drone was because he asked me to film a parade for him.

If I see any around before I lift off I have a chat with them and tell them I have checked the airspace, explain that I have researched the area and know it is legal, etc. No issues at all. I have had a few times where they have driven by but not stopped. One time some friends and I insisted that a park employee who was harassing us call the police as we were launching from public property. The police agreed with us.

If that information was requested, I would then ask for the appropriate search warrant and or the subpoena from a court.
Agree that if they *ask* for it, they should have an appropriate judicial request ... I.e. a warrant or subpoena.

But at the preliminary stages, when they are just trying to figure out if there is even anything to bother following up on, a proffer of this info by showing them data that excludes you as the person they are looking for goes a long way. But you're not obligated to show them.

I don't worry with LEO's, or any other entity (terrestrial or celestial) as long as I am flying legal, as such I have never been approached by anyone or anything.

Reactions: retiredNH
Agree that if they *ask* for it, they should have an appropriate judicial request ... I.e. a warrant or subpoena.

But at the preliminary stages, when they are just trying to figure out if there is even anything to bother following up on, a proffer of this info by showing them data that excludes you as the person they are looking for goes a long way. But you're not obligated to show them.
I don't worry with LEO's, or any other entity (terrestrial or celestial) as long as I am flying legal,

Only the Courts and the FAA can say you are flying legal... As for providing what they ask for, you have better have a better understanding than, "I thought...", "I was told..." etc...

the law.png

Now, there are a whole gaggle of more rules and regulations and the FAA isn't a court of law where the rule is Innocent until proven Guilty... It's more a Trust, but Verify situation...

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Just yesterday I was flying at a city port that had two Coast Guard ships docked. I was in a parking lot nearby and flew out and around the larger ship, not circling it but going around the side at some reasonable distance….200ft perhaps. I flew out toward the water and returned and by the time I got back a CG person approached me to tell me they were testing radar and wanted to be sure I didn’t get too close out of concern they might mess me up (not sure how), and didn’t want me to approach too closely either. I asked if I had been too close earlier and he said, “no. not at all” and proceeded to tell me about he and his kids and how much they enjoyed flying their drone. No problem. No confrontation. Good experience.

Just yesterday I was flying at a city port that had two Coast Guard ships docked. I was in a parking lot nearby and flew out and around the larger ship, not circling it but going around the side at some reasonable distance….200ft perhaps. I flew out toward the water and returned and by the time I got back a CG person approached me to tell me they were testing radar and wanted to be sure I didn’t get too close out of concern they might mess me up (not sure how), and didn’t want me to approach too closely either. I asked if I had been too close earlier and he said, “no. not at all” and proceeded to tell me about he and his kids and how much they enjoyed flying their drone. No problem. No confrontation. Good experience.
Depending on what type of radar they may have been testing, it could possibly cause harm to you. I think they were using it as an excuse to check you out.

He may have meant microwave transmissions... similar to what some cellular towers have mounted on sides. Flying into transmission path will often knock a drone down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv