DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you had a neighbor ask you to not fly over their property?

A pervert copper last week was jailed for filming a couple having sex from his police heliocopter . Front so as much as the law, in at least the UK gives no one the right of light, air or a view, using a drone to be a peeping tom will land you in trouble. Any new law would be extremely hard to enforce as using a camera with telephoto lens would also need to be included. The Nikon Coolpix P900 has a built in 83x 2000mm lens. My wife uses one for wildlife photography. Check it out on Youtube. More intrusive than any drone. I am fortunate as I live on my 85 acre quite isolated farm. I will be using my drone to watch for the UK badger cull operates and where they hide the trapping cages, so that I can stop them from being used.

Maybe he should just rocket up to 400ft and then start his flight. I had someone in the neighborhood drive around looking for the pilot (me). :)

That's what I do. Then people don't even notice the drone at all.

Show that idiot neighbor what his back yard looks like from 400 feet up. Then show him the FAA rules and how they own the airspace not the bubba in the hood....

Ma airspace ponk!
103353582-e1321472585147.jpg

I was doing a commercial shoot for a residential town home community for the builder. I made the mistake of going at sunset on Sunday. It didn't occur to me that that would be prime time for everyone to be home and outside.

Most people were really cool and more interested in the technology, except one woman. I heard someone yelling. I looked down the street and didn't see anyone, kept flying. Then more yelling. Finally, I realized there was a woman yelling out of her second floor window. She was like, "does that thing record video"? I told her I was recording and she said "great!" and slammed her window shut.

Now keep in mind, she lives in a townhome community. Here windows face her neighbor's windows, immediately across the street. From her window, she can probably see in about 20 neighbor windows, and vise-vesa. It's not like she has a huge expectation of privacy.

One of the worst things this community has eve done is accepted the designation as "drones" instead of quadcopters.

People like that remind me of people that are anti police, and you find out they are career criminals. Unless you're flying it low and into someone's yard, you can't have that much privacy expectation. If so, maybe they should live somewhere deep in the woods hard to find, not in a townhouse setting. Some people also think if they're inside they're home they can do what they want - including perverts that flash little kids standing at their glass front door. And argue that they were inside they're home.

One of the worst things this community has eve done is accepted the designation as "drones" instead of quadcopters.

Spot on. In people's minds, a drone is something the military uses either to spy on people or kill people with hellfire missiles. Therefore they see ours as mini spy planes. Because everyone is all of a sudden nude sunbathing in the backyards. Trust me I've seen none of that.

Reactions: Clinton1
It is not a matter of paranoia, it is a matter of privacy, courtesy and consideration.

I agree to an extent with this. Some people are just overly paranoid for nothing. But if I had a neighbor that had an issue with my flying over their house I'd try to find a way around it if possible. Not to bow down, just not wanting to stoke any flames and provoke a situation. Now if someone asks me something totally unreasonable, like I can't even fly it over my own yard, to heck with them. You'll never please that person.

What does that have to do with (1) what I posted or (2) anything relevant to this thread. We know from your profile picture that you're apparently a "real" pilot. Great! I'm impressed! Good job! You must be soooooo much better than anyone else on this forum!!!

Is that what you want? I am Part 107 Certified and I actually make money flying my drone. I don't need to consider myself a "pilot" to feel secure in myself. Apparently you do.
LMAO!!!! Thumbswayup
Made my day!

I used to fly from my back yard when I was learning the controls but had tapered off as my skills improved and also because I wanted to be courteous to my neighbors. Recently, I had flown for three reasons on several occasions: inspecting my roof after a storm (before and after the repair); getting pics of the occasional sunset; and then, more recently, to run down my three batteries before taking my drone in a plane for vacation (just trying to comply with "best practices"). At some point a female neighbor of mine who is a friend of my wife's texted my wife saying she felt kind of "creeped out" when my drone was in the air (of course, it can be seen AND heard, and not necessarily at the same time). I've given this quite a bit of thought. The thing is that folks are (more or less) familiar with what a drone "can do". . .they can fly and they can film. Yes, right now consumer drones don't zoom well and are more for getting expansive, panoramic images but if you are not keeping up with tech (like we are), how would you know that? And, you must admit, it won't be long before better cameras will be strapped on these devices. That's a natural progression and it's reasonable for non-drone (ahem, quad copter) enthusiasts to be concerned that this may have happened already. All of that being said, while the average person is vaguely aware of the capabilities of these devices (as above), what they do not know is the intention (as well as often the identity) of the person flying it. You and I know that it's just fun and most of us have no ill intent. But when a remote controlled camera is flying over or near your property you often have no idea of who is piloting it and you almost never know what they are intending to do. So, to that end, my decision is to recognize that we all paid a lot to live in a nice neighborhood and we should have a reasonable expectation to not be hassled by the hobbies or activities of others. It's the Golden Rule. . .just like I don't want a neighbor flipping their cigarette butts in my yard or letting their dog crap in my yard or parking an RV to where I cannot get out of my driveway. So, I am going to curtain any "recreational" flying from my yard and will go to a nearby field if I just want to get a pic of the sunset. IF I want or need to fly from my yard (say to reinspect my roof after another storm), I will NOTIFY my neighbors that I am/will be flying and what I am doing. This does a few things: 1) it lets them know my intent when they see my quad in the air (which I think is the real key here) and 2) if they see a quad flying around their property and I haven't notified them, they will (indirectly) know that it's not me. This way, I don't get lumped into the potentially bad actions of other pilots. 3) finally, this will "mend fences" with my neighbors and let us continue to be friends. If in the future, should the need arise (if I have a problem with this neighbor or another), I can point to my actions here to let them know that I was on the other side of the issue at one point and solved it peacefully. It's all about mutual respect, my friends.

Actually, one of the worst things the drone community has done is consider themselves pilots or aviators, "Part 107 Certified " or not, drone operators/hobbyists/enthusiasts are not pilots.

Maybe, but what do you call a person that remotely flies an aircraft? I'm sure the Air Force remote pilots flying a multi million dollar MQ-1 Predator would love to know as well.

One thing that's interesting, either way, private pilots can be as bad as car drivers.
Why Private Planes Are Nearly as Deadly as Cars

Reactions: Blades
Actually, one of the worst things the drone community has done is consider themselves pilots or aviators, "Part 107 Certified " or not, drone operators/hobbyists/enthusiasts are not pilots.

Funny because the FAA considers them pilots. I guess you are Trumped. The real issue here is you perpetrate to know more than you do. God help us all if you're flying a real plane.
Becoming a Pilot

Reactions: Blades
It's what Dan the Man likes to do. He comes into as many threads as possible to let everyone know he's a pilot and they're not, and you're flying a toy and he's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on aviation.

Of course I bet he still flies his private plane over people's houses. The only real difference is altitude and noise.
don't forget weight!

Oh you meant attitude and noise sorry! ;)

Listen! All you "pilots" and "drone hobbyists" don't know anything. I do because I'm an Astronaut with a PhD! :D
Now don't let me tell you what PhD stands for! :eek:;)

Oh yeah?
Dat aint nuttin...
I got me a BS in BS.

In my country you need permission from the person occupying the land you fly over, PITA but not to hard to deal with as to neighbor I have the opposite problem he keeps wanting me to fly over his property, I am rural and he keeps wanting me to do high level shots of his paddocks for him so he can identify poor growth areas and low spots. Problem with his request we are both within 4km of an unmanned airport and that limits me to shielded operation so no 400ft flights like he wants :)

My brother-in-law who lives in Houston was asked by his neighbor to not fly over his property due to privacy concerns. Of course he's not video recording his neighbor nor lingering over his yard. He lives in a suburban area, lots of houses, yards. He just sometimes goes over the yard on a mission somewhere.
He sounds like he will comply but he's bummed out and partially wants to keep the peace yet he's partially not sure if his neighbor is making a reasonable request.
The snarky part of me suggested he slowly flies just outside of the perimeter of the yard until he picks up the waypoint for his current mission. On a more reasonable note I suggested to him that he try to compromise with his neighbor and tell him he won't turn on video recording until he's past the property line (the back yard is probably 50'x50'). That should take care of the 'privacy' concern.
I'm curious about what the drone flying community here might do. Have you ever been approached by a neighbor in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

I have to interject with something right now and you know what really just gives me the red *** that people would have to have the thinking process that you have. If the neighbor has asked you not to fly over his property and that is his right, why would you want to push it and slowly go on the edge of his property and act like a fool? Drone Flyers are already under the gun because of so many laws that are not known and so many educated people that are out there that just feel that drones are intrusive on other people's privacy and are just a general a nuisance and then we have someone like you who just wants to push it to the edge just to piss somebody off a little bit further. I think it's absolutely irresponsible on your thought process to even think of something like this. Through 360° on every compass and so that means that when you are flying away from your takeoff area you have many other places you can go to avoid this neighbor's property and I'm sure that's because I'm sure that your brother-in-law is not located in the center of this guy's property so there are other places you can go and there's other places he can just simply go around this guy's Mark property then he doesn't want trespassed against. If the guy makes a big deal about it he actually can't go to the police department and file a complaint against your brother-in-law and then they can have a big fat fine on his hands and then I guess you can thank you for being a jackass about it and making us who actually fly drones to look even more foolish because of irresponsible people. If your brother-in-law is acting responsible and just avoiding the guy's property and everything is fine and pieces kept between neighbors like it's supposed to then just leave it alone it's none of your business. And coming on this website and interjecting stuff like you're doing is just again irresponsible and downright foolish. I've been flying out for 6 months and I've never seen so many people act dumb but everybody in my neighborhood knows that I fly and I've gone to almost every single person around and asked if it's intrusive and they said sure go ahead and fly just don't linger around my window. So there's a nice ways of doing things and then there's stupid ways of doing things which is what you're doing by even suggesting that someone go on the prowl around this guy's property Edge and go real slow and being foolish. it's stupid people like this that gives me the red *** in this just dumb.
Have a nice day and please don't get a drone because you're probably give all of us, that are responsible pilots a bad name.

You don't need to be an astronaut or PHD to get a private pilots license.. Dan, you should prob lighten up a tad..

Reactions: cderoche
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078