DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you had a neighbor ask you to not fly over their property?

marklyn

Reactions
My brother-in-law who lives in Houston was asked by his neighbor to not fly over his property due to privacy concerns. Of course he's not video recording his neighbor nor lingering over his yard. He lives in a suburban area, lots of houses, yards. He just sometimes goes over the yard on a mission somewhere.
He sounds like he will comply but he's bummed out and partially wants to keep the peace yet he's partially not sure if his neighbor is making a reasonable request.
The snarky part of me suggested he slowly flies just outside of the perimeter of the yard until he picks up the waypoint for his current mission. On a more reasonable note I suggested to him that he try to compromise with his neighbor and tell him he won't turn on video recording until he's past the property line (the back yard is probably 50'x50'). That should take care of the 'privacy' concern.
I'm curious about what the drone flying community here might do. Have you ever been approached by a neighbor in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

Maybe he should just rocket up to 400ft and then start his flight. I had someone in the neighborhood drive around looking for the pilot (me). :)

Reactions: htommy and cderoche
IMO flying in a neighborhood is never a good idea. Seriously tell him to go somewhere else and fly. Texas is a big state surely he can find somewhere more appropriate to fly.

I had an issue.with a neighbor as well. I had a dying palm tree, and decided to use my Mavic to inspect it. so my drone was hovering for about ten minutes over the palm, camera facing away from the neighbor house. Their kids were using their pool and my grandkids ours. After a while i was fliying in front of my house and someone drives by,stops and asks me. Are you the one flying over my kids?
and my response was. I was flying over my palm. (never flew outside of my property). So he drove off, evidently upset. I never thought I was doing anything wrong. After a while I drove to his house in the back, Knocked on the door and explained what I was doing no intention to bother or invade privacy. I also told him that if it was me, I would be very concerned if someone flew on the side over my grandkids and apologized, He understood what it was and I gave him peace of mind. So my advice if you feel someone is concerned about your flying, go to that person a reassure your intentions and even show what you can do or not with your drone.

IMO flying in a neighborhood is never a good idea. Seriously tell him to go somewhere else and fly. Texas is a big state surely he can find somewhere more appropriate to fly.
I feel that is unreasonable. If it is legal for me (or him) to take off in our back yard and fly then why do I have to pack up everything in my car and drive somewhere in our 'big state' to drive?
I did ask how other people would handle it so I guess you'd pack up and go somewhere else but I'm guessing by your answer you probably live in a rural area so your perspective would likely be different.

I was doing a commercial shoot for a residential town home community for the builder. I made the mistake of going at sunset on Sunday. It didn't occur to me that that would be prime time for everyone to be home and outside.

Most people were really cool and more interested in the technology, except one woman. I heard someone yelling. I looked down the street and didn't see anyone, kept flying. Then more yelling. Finally, I realized there was a woman yelling out of her second floor window. She was like, "does that thing record video"? I told her I was recording and she said "great!" and slammed her window shut.

Now keep in mind, she lives in a townhome community. Here windows face her neighbor's windows, immediately across the street. From her window, she can probably see in about 20 neighbor windows, and vise-vesa. It's not like she has a huge expectation of privacy.

One of the worst things this community has eve done is accepted the designation as "drones" instead of quadcopters.

Show that idiot neighbor what his back yard looks like from 400 feet up. Then show him the FAA rules and how they own the airspace not the bubba in the hood....
Idiot because he values his privacy? With the attitudes and comments here, it is no wonder so many people detest drones in their neighborhoods, and the inconsiderate, irresponsible operators who think their toy gives them unfettered and unchallenged access to the skies.

Reactions: PF2
Common sense willl not go far in this thread, I'm afraid.

Reactions: mfc
IOne of the worst things this community has ever done is accepted the designation as "drones" instead of quadcopters.

Actually, one of the worst things the drone community has done is consider themselves pilots or aviators, "Part 107 Certified " or not, drone operators/hobbyists/enthusiasts are not pilots.

Reactions: moleza
Actually, one of the worst things the drone community has done is consider themselves pilots or aviators, "Part 107 Certified " or not, drone operators/hobbyists/enthusiasts are not pilots.

What does that have to do with (1) what I posted or (2) anything relevant to this thread. We know from your profile picture that you're apparently a "real" pilot. Great! I'm impressed! Good job! You must be soooooo much better than anyone else on this forum!!!

Is that what you want? I am Part 107 Certified and I actually make money flying my drone. I don't need to consider myself a "pilot" to feel secure in myself. Apparently you do.

Oh great - one of "those" guys. Look Top Gun, the FAA is the one who "named" the license "Remote Pilot". It's not a "Remote Operator", not "Remote Hobbyist", It says: "REMOTE PILOT". Sorry to crash your clubhouse, but it's a brave new world.

remotepilotcertificate.jpg

Is that what you want?
It's what Dan the Man likes to do. He comes into as many threads as possible to let everyone know he's a pilot and they're not, and you're flying a toy and he's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on aviation.

Of course I bet he still flies his private plane over people's houses. The only real difference is altitude and noise.

Last edited:
I feel that is unreasonable. If it is legal for me (or him) to take off in our back yard and fly then why do I have to pack up everything in my car and drive somewhere in our 'big state' to drive?
I agree completely.

I have neighbors who do all kinds of annoying things that are disruptive, but the things they're doing are within their rights. It would never occur to me to tell them to go somewhere else.

If you're going to practice flying your drone from your yard, do what you can to minimize antagonizing people. Get up to the highest altitude you can and keep it moving. Don't linger over any one place except your own yard and try to take different flight paths. If someone has a concern, explain to them as politely as you can what you're doing and why.

Beyond that, you just need to understand some people are never going to be happy living in proximity to other people. I'll do my best to get along, but I'm not going to bend over backwards to appease an *******.

It's what Dan the Man likes to do. He comes into as many threads as possible to let everyone know he's a pilot and they're not, and you're flying a toy and he's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on aviation.

Of course I bet he still flies his private plane over people's houses. The only real difference is altitude and noise.

I've read through his history... definitely his MO. Even when it's not relevant to anything being discussed, LOL!

Reactions: Blades and Clinton1
I'm amazed how people assume a consumer grade drone has millitary grade optics in it.
"Take a picture of me from 400' away with your cell phone. Can you tell that I'm flipping you off? Well that's how good the drone camera is." :D

Reactions: Blades
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78