DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you had a neighbor ask you to not fly over their property?

I had one neighbor ask me about it while I was inspecting my roof with it after a really bad storm we had (a few bolts of lightning hit very near and I thought one hit my actual roof). He was a little concerned but it was obvious I was over my roof. I explained what I was doing and then offered to fly over his roof and inspect it with him if he was ok with that. He took me up on the offer, flew over and recorded a 4k video of his roof and sent him the files. He has not been a problem since. He actually thought it was pretty cool, and he found he was missing a shingle on his 2nd floor roof.

I had one neighbor ask me about it while I was inspecting my roof with it after a really bad storm we had (a few bolts of lightning hit very near and I thought one hit my actual roof). He was a little concerned but it was obvious I was over my roof. I explained what I was doing and then offered to fly over his roof and inspect it with him if he was ok with that. He took me up on the offer, flew over and recorded a 4k video of his roof and sent him the files. He has not been a problem since. He actually thought it was pretty cool, and he found he was missing a shingle on his 2nd floor roof.

What could your neighbor possibly be concerned about?

When I see people notice I'm piloting a drone, I simply wave, smile and acknowledge their walking path to stay away from a close hover over people. Most people are ok, just curious I think.

Usually my mavic is met with fascination.

But once I had a neighbor lady snap at me, at a friendly barbecue/get-together, "If I see that thing near my house, I'm going to shoot it down!"

I calmly and politely smiled and said, "Well that's your decision. I'm sure you realize that in Texas, firing a gun in the city limits can be considered a 3rd degree felony, with a penalty of 2-10 years, even if you miss. But if you don't mind doing the time, then go ahead and do the crime. Of course if you actually HIT someone or their personal property, the penalties get worse."

Then I added, "You can do what you want, but I generally try not to commit felonies when I know I'm in front of someone's 4K High Definition Camera."

I suppose I could have been less snarky and more accommodating to her "need for privacy", but **** her and her empty threat. One simple, accurate statement of fact, shut her up and made her think; as well as embarrassing her with her own ignorance in front of our neighbors.

If your not doing anything illegal or embarrassed about who cares about cameras. People got to lighten the **** up. Privacy is just the goto excuse. It's an annoyance to other people so just try and not annoy anyone

It's what Dan the Man likes to do. He comes into as many threads as possible to let everyone know he's a pilot and they're not, and you're flying a toy and he's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on aviation.

Of course I bet he still flies his private plane over people's houses. The only real difference is altitude and noise.

It's really pathetic to disrupt a laid-back hobbyist forum to pump yourself up. Now pardon me, I'm off to PILOT my Mavic.

Listen! All you "pilots" and "drone hobbyists" don't know anything. I do because I'm an Astronaut with a PhD! :D
Now don't let me tell you what PhD stands for! :eek:;)

Yup, Yup, Yup, I'm an alien with a stellar vehicle transport license from a galaxy far, far away.

And I can't fly 55 !!

Relax. You're all PILOTS. Anyone can be a pilot these days. ANYONE.

Kinda makes you feel bad for the people who spent thousands of dollars (and hours) back in the olden days, eh? I spent like, what, five minutes? And it was free! Now I'm a bona fide pilot. Sick!

I'd feel like a sucker if I spent more than about 30$. Luckily I didn't. So I don't.

Sincerely,

Your Pilot

Reactions: cderoche
In my country it's illegal to fly over anyone's property without first getting their consent. Mostly it seems really onerous but in situations like this I can see the logic behind it.

Actually, one of the worst things the drone community has done is consider themselves pilots or aviators, "Part 107 Certified " or not, drone operators/hobbyists/enthusiasts are not pilots.

Ahem .. I am a pilot; have flown and do fly light aircraft and microlights/ultralights. Please don't assume that all drone users are ignorant :).

Thank God there are several thousand miles of Atlantic Ocean between the USA and England. We don't seem to have upsets of privacy invasion with the neighbours like you guys.
My advice would be to respond in a civil manner (even to showing the aggrieved neighbour the video footage in the first instance) and promise them that you would never 'spy' on them
but that they must realise that you might have to overfly their property for a few seconds en-route to your destination.
If they still complain, I know a nice farmer with a muck-spreader that really makes a stinking mess of a front lawn and car! (Only joking! Ignore him and tell him to grow up, if he carries on complaining).

Reactions: Clinton1
My brother-in-law who lives in Houston was asked by his neighbor to not fly over his property due to privacy concerns. Of course he's not video recording his neighbor nor lingering over his yard. He lives in a suburban area, lots of houses, yards. He just sometimes goes over the yard on a mission somewhere.
He sounds like he will comply but he's bummed out and partially wants to keep the peace yet he's partially not sure if his neighbor is making a reasonable request.
The snarky part of me suggested he slowly flies just outside of the perimeter of the yard until he picks up the waypoint for his current mission. On a more reasonable note I suggested to him that he try to compromise with his neighbor and tell him he won't turn on video recording until he's past the property line (the back yard is probably 50'x50'). That should take care of the 'privacy' concern.
I'm curious about what the drone flying community here might do. Have you ever been approached by a neighbor in a similar situation and how did you handle it?

If Airliners or any other airplane can fly legally over your neighbor's home, so can you. Invasion of privacy is a tricky matter so I would stay a safe distance away from windows, etc. I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me this will eventually have to be tested in the courts.

Reactions: cderoche
To Urico. Tell your brother in law to ask the guy to leave all of his doors open so your brother can actually fly into the guy's house
and hover there for 10 minutes in each room - then the guy will know what an invasion of privacy is REALLY like - either that or tell the guy to become a troglodyte!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake