DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

having a really hard time deciding between Zoom or Pro 2

captaintrips

Reactions
Hi all,

Recently got permission from the wife to proceed with purchasing a mavic as we do a lot of travel and really would like to put it to use for such.

I've been a button-press away from buying the Zoom or the Pro 2 over the past few days after watching numerous videos and reading all sorts of reviews and details about each. Just as I'm about to buy the Zoom, i say "well... maybe i want the pro 2 instead" and vice versa where I say "well, maybe the zoom instead"

Thing is, I'm not a professional photographer and I really don't know/care to do a lot of pro-editing with adobe suites or messing with all the enhanced cam features and stuff on the Pro 2. But i wonder if I'll ever take interest to the point where I will regret not having those Pro 2 camera features
Every video or image comparison i saw... the Pro 2 shots seemed too warm and noticeably less sharp than the Zoom. It wasn't just me... even the reviewers seemed to say the same. The Pro 2 did seem a bit better in low light areas, and had a more 'cinematic' feel, though not sure how i feel about that compared to the more crisp "realworld" looking shots from the Zoom. In the side-by-sides, I like the cleaner, sharper, cooler images and video of the Zoom (i know the camera is apparently a lesser compared to the Pro 2 with the exception it has zoom lens vs. digital zoom only).

I'm 55% for the Zoom and 45% for the Pro 2.... but i feel if i go with the Zoom, for whatever reason, I may be missing out on something down the road (or maybe not at all)

Any suggestion or advice would certainly be appreciated!

I'm not here to help decide, but rather to comment on a statement or two. Short version: skip to the last sentence.

Every video or image comparison i saw... the Pro 2 shots seemed too warm and noticeably less sharp than the Zoom. It wasn't just me... even the reviewers seemed to say the same.

Re: "noticeably less sharp": I seriously doubt this. Your "even the reviewers" could be bias confirmation (you found enough of them saying this to satisfy your own impressions). I think if you did objective research with a larger sampling of reviews, I think you're find that the Pro is the better PQ / sharper image.

Most of the pro-Zoom reviews I saw before deciding on the Pro was more along the lines of "Sure, it's a bit less in the over-all picture quality area, but if you like the ability of reach that the zoom will give (so you don't have to fly closer), then the small difference in PQ is worth it."

I'm not doubting you found someone saying this -- I'm just saying that you'll find the general consensus is that it's not the case.

"Too warm" is also a questionable claim. That's generally not an attribute of the lens or sensor, but one of processing. There are settings in DJI Go that allow you to set the color temperature of all capture (video and still photo), which is an adjustment of warmth.

Zoom may still be a better choice for you, but better image quality is not something you want to convince yourself of.

Chris

Hi all,

Recently got permission from the wife to proceed with purchasing a mavic as we do a lot of travel and really would like to put it to use for such.

I've been a button-press away from buying the Zoom or the Pro 2 over the past few days after watching numerous videos and reading all sorts of reviews and details about each. Just as I'm about to buy the Zoom, i say "well... maybe i want the pro 2 instead" and vice versa where I say "well, maybe the zoom instead"

Thing is, I'm not a professional photographer and I really don't know/care to do a lot of pro-editing with adobe suites or messing with all the enhanced cam features and stuff on the Pro 2. But i wonder if I'll ever take interest to the point where I will regret not having those Pro 2 camera features
Every video or image comparison i saw... the Pro 2 shots seemed too warm and noticeably less sharp than the Zoom. It wasn't just me... even the reviewers seemed to say the same. The Pro 2 did seem a bit better in low light areas, and had a more 'cinematic' feel, though not sure how i feel about that compared to the more crisp "realworld" looking shots from the Zoom. In the side-by-sides, I like the cleaner, sharper, cooler images and video of the Zoom (i know the camera is apparently a lesser compared to the Pro 2 with the exception it has zoom lens vs. digital zoom only).

I'm 55% for the Zoom and 45% for the Pro 2.... but i feel if i go with the Zoom, for whatever reason, I may be missing out on something down the road (or maybe not at all)

Got a solution for you. Buy either, now here is the trick (and something DJI try not to advertise) you can pick up a spare camera and gimble for a song. If you are good (videos on YouTube) you can swap one for the other as necessary

• Love
Reactions: captaintrips
I bought the pro over the zoom for two reasons. Although I am only a camera novice I felt like the pro camera is something I could grow into as I improved my photography skills. Additionally I felt that if I needed to “zoom” in I could just fly closer to get the shot. My 2 cents.

I bought the pro over the zoom for two reasons. Although I am only a camera novice I felt like the pro camera is something I could grow into as I improved my photography skills. Additionally I felt that if I needed to “zoom” in I could just fly closer to get the shot. My 2 cents.
Its a preference l guess, depends on what the intended use is. I do swap between the two but this option should only be used after warranty expiry or DJI won't be amused :eek:

well it's settled then. I'm going to grab the Zoom.

....but also a Hassleblad Pro 2 camera for the conversion when needed. Just watched the videos on how to do that, and wow... that was easy, lol.

Thanks all!

Reactions: Gindra
@captaintrips welcome to the forum,it is something that can only be decided by you there are going to be many many different opinions and recommendations,all of them valid for one reason or the other ,i would like to be a bit naughty here and throw another choice into the ring,and that is the new Mavic Air 2 due out at the end of the month, it seems to be slightly smaller than the M2P or Zoom, so could be just the thing if you intend to travel with it

....but also a Hassleblad Pro 2 camera for the conversion when needed. Just watched the videos on how to do that, and wow... that was easy, lol.

Thanks all!
Just be aware that DJI have been busy behind the scenes to close this loophole as you get two for the price of one (and a bit) ?

Reactions: old man mavic

Thanks all!
Forgot the add if you take out the refresh contract with DJI do not under any circumstances change the camera as you will void the warranty

I haven't looked, but in choosing one of the other with the plan of buying the alternate camera, you might want to see if the cost is the same either way. I have two M2P's and two Smart Controllers (don't ask) . . . may convert one to the Zoom (though I'm completely happy with the 2P.

I recommend the Smart Controller, BTW

I started with a Spark, amazing drone. Went to the Mavic Air, incredible drone. After watching video by Northcoast Drone I bought the Zoom. It's a sick hobby but so much fun. I find the videos almost the same quality between both so for the few dollars I saved, I went Zoom

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
I have the Zoom and like it a lot. It suits my use perfectly. But now I’m in the market for a semi-professional 1 inch sensor camera drone. I am mixed between the Mavic 2 PRO and if I can get more reviews and tests for the EVO 2 PRO. I just withdrew from buying the E2P...so I need more technical information and real-time test and evaluations for the E2Pro

I have the Pro, but hopefully I am not biased.

I would say that if you have an interest in, or are likely to become interested in, photography, then the Pro is the one to go for. The images are outstanding quality whether you use the RAW files or jpeg. The same goes for the video as well. The only real advantage of the Zoom is ... well, the zoom function (and the associated dolly function).

Just my opinion as a new drone user who only bought it for photography, NEVER interested in videography - but now can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
Hi all,

You can’t go wrong with either one

Hi all,

The answer is quite easy if photography is a hobby of yours. The Mavic 2 Pro has a much more versatile camera and is capable of producing better images. If parameters are properly adjusted the straight out of camera images can be spectacular. Ask yourself how often will I really need a zoom feature and am I willing to compromise image quality to use it. The answer to your quandary will then be readily apparent. Good luck.

It depends on what you I tend to film, I use the Zoom and the the Pro simply wouldn’t work for me. Much of my filming includes wildlife and nesting birds, specifically Red-tailed hawks and bald eagles. I film from a distance so as to not disturb the subjects but yet get close up videos and stills. You can’t always just fly up close as one comment suggested

Reactions: somber and Gindra
I have the Pro, but hopefully I am not biased.

I would say that if you have an interest in, or are likely to become interested in, photography, then the Pro is the one to go for. The images are outstanding quality whether you use the RAW files or jpeg. The same goes for the video as well. The only real advantage of the Zoom is ... well, the zoom function (and the associated dolly function).

Just my opinion as a new drone user who only bought it for photographer, NEVER interested in videography - but now can't get enough of it.

This is my experience exactly. I was faced with the same dilemma 6 months ago. I went for the Pro and the image quality is truly outstanding. Unless you need the zoom for wildlife photography etc as Doug said above then the Pro is an amazing drone. You won't be disappointed with either in fairness.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998