DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk attack to my Mini II

"A very distinctive fish-hawk, formerly classified with other hawks but now placed in a separate family of its own." In an actual attack, the talons are usually forward, rather than trailing. He was just trying to scare you off, which worked!

"A very distinctive fish-hawk, formerly classified with other hawks but now placed in a separate family of its own." In an actual attack, the talons are usually forward, rather than trailing. He was just trying to scare you off, which worked!
Osprey fish hawk then. No doubt.

Osprey fish hawk then. No doubt.
Really cool birds! If you can find the nest during the active breeding season in the spring, using the Mini 2 digital zoom, you can get close enough to video feeding behavior of the chicks, directly from above, without disturbing them, as the parents bring fish to the nest all day long!

Really cool birds! If you can find the nest during the active breeding season in the spring, using the Mini 2 digital zoom, you can get close enough to video feeding behavior of the chicks, directly from above, without disturbing them, as the parents bring fish to the nest all day long!
I don't know, how about leaving a nesting osprey alone?

Notice how he uses his tail feathers to slow his approach. They're raised vertically as he approaches the drone, then when he calls off the attack the feathers go back to a streamline position, the legs are retracted and the wings are aligned to reduce drag so he can accelerate.

You have been warned😁😁😁😁

On the video he flew by in .5 seconds total. This 1 frame capture says a lot about what that Mini 2 cam can do.
I thought it is a hawk. I'm flying over a 250 foot cliff where he must have been nesting.
View attachment 139839
Beautiful! Let it's nest be!

Reactions: MARK (LI)
On the video he flew by in .5 seconds total. This 1 frame capture says a lot about what that Mini 2 cam can do.
I thought it is a hawk. I'm flying over a 250 foot cliff where he must have been nesting.
View attachment 139839
I wouldn't expect Ospreys to be nesting this time of year. March - September is typical.

Great photos!

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Hawk attack!​

Now you say flew by?
So did it attack your drone?
Or was it a fly by? :rolleyes:
The osprey was clearly targeting and investigating the drone, so a potential attack turned into a fly by, when it realized it was neither a food source, nor a current threat. Nests are inactive this time of year, but they often still roost in them, and may defend their territory around them.

What are the distinctive features that distinguish this osprey from being a possible male?
There's not much sexual dimorphism in Ospreys. Females are a bit larger and have slightly darker plumage, but it would be difficult to tell who is who here. Males and females both defend the nest and territory.

Reactions: twickers14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbod