HAWK attacks new DJI FPV drone!

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Great footage here (not MINE):

Well I bet it do that again ?

That answer my question about Birds and the FPV , I keep wondering if the pitch of the drone really aggravates the birds. I notice with the Sea Gulls , i need to be quiet and not rev past them. Interesting.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.
Yeah the noise and possibly the faster movement of the FPV might look
more prey like then a slower Mavic.

hawks can be very territorial and it probably thought your drone was trying to take over its area,also the stance and shape of the new FPV drone ,is quite threatening to a bird of prey

hawks can be very territorial and it probably thought your drone was trying to take over its area,also the stance and shape of the new FPV drone ,is quite threatening to a bird of prey
i have not found a issues with red tails around here.. but then again if i see them i climb...

Reactions: Droniac and 000
I'm also wondering with the drone flipping and doing loops it looked injured to the bird or something???

The only birds I have "encounters" with are buzzards, and they come over to have a look but seem to keep their distance

I get my FPV tomorrow, I'll see if it attracts anything else..

I've watched several videos of a drone being snatched by a bird of prey, including the Phantom range. We're always watching out for eagles, especially on our nature reserve in South Africa - where we have five different species as well as other birds of prey. The larger eagles can swoop faster than a drone in sports mode can travel, so "be prepared" is an essential psychological quality in such circumstances where the chances of attack are relatively high.

Predators are simpler in their responses than many people imagine. Movement alone can trigger an attack. Speed matters. Delay and you remain hungry.

Two of us have been attacked by a black eagle when we were over one mile away from a nest with a chick. We had to crouch down and use a heavy Manfrotto tripod to defend ourselves. The wingspan of a black eagle is 8 or 9 ft and they can easily knock a leopard off its hunt - leopards being the main predator, historically, of humans.

Reactions: A.O. and tlswift58
I'm also wondering with the drone flipping and doing loops it looked injured to the bird or something???

The only birds I have "encounters" with are buzzards, and they come over to have a look but seem to keep their distance

I get my FPV tomorrow, I'll see if it attracts anything else..
Have you ordered some gaffer tape and super glue just in case. ?
You're going to have much fun my friend.........well jealous.....enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac and A.O.
We had a hawk fly up to our Mavic Mini one evening. Doesn't show but a flash on the video, but but watching the drone and the hawk come in - seemingly out of nowhere, coming-in on the drone and making an abrupt aboutface/left turn made for some fun conversations later. We now have a bald eagle patrolling our creek line and field next to it. We're wondering what the eagle's opinion is going to be when we are both flying at the same time. A bald eagle is much bigger than a Mavic Mini... - LOL.

I should add that we humans have it easy. We shop at a supermarket. Wild predators fail in the majority of their hunting attempts. Their range of prey is more varied than many realise. You have to be an opportunist. Not that a drone - not even a DJI one - will prove either tasty or nourishing.

Reactions: Droniac
Hey BigA...that’s one of the better “ bird attack” videos I’ve seen. Thanks for posting. I guess we’re coming into the season where they’re going to be more territorial.
Newbie’s...do a “search” on what to do if this happens to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O. and tlswift58
Great footage here (not MINE):

Nice recovery and good thing they were as far above ground - or CRASH.

Well known that all "raptors" are very territorial and WILL attack a drone. We have many such attacks in Western NC, so when out - we're always on the watch for them.

Nope - they will go after any drone - Air2 / Mini - does not matter if YOU INVADE their airspace.
i wasn't saying they wouldn't go for a Mavic, i was saying perhaps where the FPV
is faster and more agile it may look more prey like. We quite often unintentionally
invade the airspace of BOP and more often then not they flee the scene very
quickly, i've never had one attack the drone even when trying to get closer for a
better picture. BOP in the UK are very wary creatures.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart