DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk eyeballing my drone at 400'

On second thought I think it is an owl LOL - I was doing an orbit around the construction site counter-clockwise at a fairly good clip. So it was like a second of interaction, a quick strike, it flew away, I was unstable for a few seconds but recovered and landed. Tiny bit taken out of prop but I replaced it and continued flying. I was finished with the high aerials and everything left was 100' or lower and kept a real close eye on it.

This is my 5th bird strike.

Hawk attack on golf course, pigeon in city near rooftop of skyscraper, seagull off coast near water treatment plant, unknown bird at low altitude in city.

Golf course Hawk was total loss (Hawk flew away, drone dropped to ground and totally smashed (recovered parts and repaired w/ Refresh)).

Pigeon attack was total loss (recovered but no active refresh).

Seagull attack was total loss (Had refresh but lost over water and never recovered).

Unknown bird was crash with minor damage but repaired with Refresh.

Not an owl. Was there contact between the bird and the drone? The bird is definitely aware of the drone, but doesn't appear aggressive at all.

A pigeon attack? They don't feed on the wing and they're communal nesters and not territorial. Collision?

You've had some unusually bad experience with birds.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVRGUY
The birds are definitely out there, and take in interest in drones. Glad to hear both your drone and the bird went on their respective journeys ok.

Not an owl. Was there contact between the bird and the drone? The bird is definitely aware of the drone, but doesn't appear aggressive at all.

An pigeon attack? They don't feed on the wing and they're communal nesters and not territorial. Collision?

You've had some unusually bad experience with birds.
Yeah, I don't know, I'm not an ornithologist - thought it was hawk at first and then thought owl. Definitely some contact as everything was butter smooth and then went haywire.

Pigeons are AGGRESSIVELY territorial during nesting season when they have eggs/chicks in the nest.

Yeah, a few bad experiences for sure.... but I fly several times a day, often 6 days a week and mostly year round over ten years. So over thousands & thousands of flights, I don't think less than a fraction of a percent is a big deal really.

I am not sure what you mean. There are two sets of props with CW and two sets with CCW. You can replace 1, 2, 3 or 4 whenever you want.
It doesn't matter, forget I mentioned it, I don't want to side track your thread.

I am not sure what you mean. There are two sets of props with CW and two sets with CCW. You can replace 1, 2, 3 or 4 whenever you want.
I believe what he’s referring to is that with some Minis you can actually replace just 1 prop blade (of the 8) with a small set screw as opposed to the whole 2-blade “set” for one motor as you do on most drones with the bayonet mount.

Yeah, I don't know, I'm not an ornithologist - thought it was hawk at first and then thought owl. Definitely some contact as everything was butter smooth and then went haywire.

Pigeons are AGGRESSIVELY territorial during nesting season when they have eggs/chicks in the nest.

Yeah, a few bad experiences for sure.... but I fly several times a day, often 6 days a week and mostly year round over ten years. So over thousands & thousands of flights, I don't think less than a fraction of a percent is a big deal really.
I can vouch for pigeons being aggressive at nesting season as well as starlings and grackles (and they work in squadrons!). I’ve haven’t been struck *yet but got clear before I found out what would happen.

I thought I recognized that area as I am from Stoughton. Is the building close to the Blue Hills Reservation? I hike there whenever I am back east. I have run into owls on the trail. That is a great shot you got of the bird in flight. What is your website, so I can check it out? Great information and thanks for giving us a perspective of your percentage of flights with bird strikes!

Thanks, the reason for my asking is that with the mini people sometime replace ONLY the damaged blade which may result in an unbalanced motor. I don't think you can do that on the air 2s so the new prop is balanced.
Correct, the Air 2S props are paired. They clip into the motor easily, you just need to make sure they're the correct set for the motor rotation.

So sorry to hear about the bird strikes. If you see it coming push the stick straight up, a bird cannot do that manuver. Good luck.
Been there done that, but what if you are already at max altitude?

On second thought I think it is an owl LOL - I was doing an orbit around the construction site counter-clockwise at a fairly good clip. So it was like a second of interaction, a quick strike, it flew away, I was unstable for a few seconds but recovered and landed. Tiny bit taken out of prop but I replaced it and continued flying. I was finished with the high aerials and everything left was 100' or lower and kept a real close eye on it.

Hawk attack on golf course, pigeon in city near rooftop of skyscraper, seagull off coast near water treatment plant, unknown bird at low altitude in city.

Golf course Hawk was total loss (Hawk flew away, drone dropped to ground and totally smashed (recovered parts and repaired w/ Refresh)).

Seagull attack was total loss (Had refresh but lost over water and never recovered).

Nah that’s a hawk

Nah! Reckon it’s a red tailed. Don’t take my word for it from 3500 miles away but I do go bird watching in Florida each year. Could be wrong and as always on this site others will know better.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Nah that’s a hawk

Nah! Reckon it’s a red tailed. Don’t take my word for it from 3500 miles away but I do go bird watching in Florida each year. Could be wrong and as always on this site others will know better.

Red-tailed Hawk looks right from 1300 miles away, too. Definitely not an owl.

Reactions: twickers14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure