DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDMI Goggles or spotter Monitor via $20 dongle 5GHz !

Well you have to drag up that little screen to actually START mirroring via airplay (of couse after you connected to the dongles WiFi).
And if you want less interference you should use 5GHz mode.

Ender

I had to update my mirascreen to get it to work with iOS 10. It only worked with 9 out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have the Mirascreen dongle and a Microsoft Display Adapter. I use both of these dongles for Miracast with my Windows Phone and laptop to two different TVs. The MS dongle transmits HD video reliably, the Mirascreen does not (choppy, pixelated at times). The Mirascreen dongle cost $15, the MS dongle cost $60. I learned my lesson, but glad it's working for you.

My Mirascreen is working just fine on 5G with no issues, takes awhile to connect but after it does the video is great, Mine didn't need an update to work with IOS 10 so it must have the latest F/W. The range isn't the best but as long as you are not to far away it stay's connected, I use it as a second monitor for friends & family to follow the flight. Still waiting on the CrystalSky and/or DJI goggles, Pie-In-The-Sky anyone?

Instead of using Airplay or miracast to get the signal to the Eachine goggles, you could simply use an HDMI out adapter for a IOS device like this one:

Amazon.com: Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone, iPad and iPod Models (MD826AM/A): Electronics.

This way there is no degradation nor lag added to the output. Just plug the headset right into the dongle. I'm planning to do this with my Ipad mini 4.

Edit: Hmmm, seems the lightning IN port will not work for data, only charging. That sucks...

Last edited:
Instead of using Airplay or miracast to get the signal to the Eachine goggles, you could simply use an HDMI out adapter for a IOS device like this one:

Amazon.com: Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone, iPad and iPod Models (MD826AM/A): Electronics.

This way there is no degradation nor lag added to the output. Just plug the headset right into the dongle. I'm planning to do this with my Ipad mini 4.
Uh...I wouldn't count on this working for your intended use. There are MANY threads about this proposed setup.

not gonna work....the adapter only works one direction. It allows the Apple device screen to be output via the HDMI output but you need be able to connect the Apple device to the RC in order to receive the video feed from the Mavic......The micro USB on the adpter is for charging only/ no data. Lots of threads on this topic and this option has been debunked multiple times.

not gonna work....the adapter only works one direction. It allows the Apple device screen to be output via the HDMI output but you need be able to connect the Apple device to the RC in order to receive the video feed from the Mavic......The micro USB on the adpter is for charging only/ no data. Lots of threads on this topic and this option has been debunked multiple times.

Yes, I caught that after I googled the adapter and "mavic pro". It appears that only the Shield K1 will support direct HDMI out. The last thing I need is another tablet. I already have 8.

Yes, I caught that after I googled the adapter and "mavic pro". It appears that only the Shield K1 will support direct HDMI out. The last thing I need is another tablet. I already have 8.
I hear ya...I surely didn't want to add the Shield to my collection, but I did;)

As I am only needing HDMI for a spotter/viewing setup latency isn't a factor. I used the Mirascreen 5g today with a battery powered HDMI monitor on a tripod for 4 full flights today and it worked perfect. My iPad cast the controller screen in 720P to the monitor without issue, and the kids thought it was great. I also have a pass-thru on the monitor for a HDMI recorder that I tried also, recorded the monitor output.

Hi !
We talked about it a lot of times, here are facts :)

I am using this cheap dongle:
MiraCast 5G:
Mirascreen 5G TV Dongle

(can be had from $12 up to $50, your decision ;-) )

Setup:
you can set the dongle to Airplay (usually iOS, see below) or MiraCast (Windows / Android)
I encountered a problem with my S7 Edge, latest FW cobinations would not work good with MiraCast, ALL my others do work so i guess its Samsung to blame...
So i installed the "Mirroring 360 Sender" App which allows Android to mirror to Airplay...

Apart from that MiraCast worked fine some time before...

So i setup the dongle to start in Airplay mode, 5GHz frequency which is great as it does not interfere with Ocusync !

fired up the Mavic, connected S7 to Controller, used an iPad as reference time source (stopwatch app) and focussed the Mavic on the iPad.
Connected the MiraScreen 5G to a small HDMI Monitor and mirrored S7 Screen via that 360 App...

I then started the stopwatch and took a still image with my Yi Actioncam to see the lag.

Endresult:

-190ms from "real time" to S7 Edge
-Another 120ms from S7 to the Monitor via 5GHz WiFi Dongle totalling in 310ms.

As the Mavic is no racer anyways i think thats okay for gentle flying and spotting !

I'll used a powerbank with my Eachine Goggles Two to supply the MiraScreen 5G but will solder a 2S LiPo to 5V stepdown ($0.50) in the weekend to use the Goggles battery and to then have an "Aitplay & MiraCast" Goggle :)

GREAT,

Ender

View attachment 4011

Any luck getting yours to show 1080p? I am experimenting with the same thing while I wait (im)patiently for my Mavic to get back from repair, and my 1080 goggles to arrive from China. I go into the settings and change the default to 1080, it switches to 1080, then gives me a few seconds to confirm. I do so, and then it reboots and EVERY SINGLE time it comes back on and defaults to 720p!!! I have spent HOURS trying to change, it will not save the 1080p setting......any thoughts? And yes my tv is a 1080p Vizio only about a year or so old. It switches its little symbol to 1080 at the top of the screen when I change it, so it's doing what it's supposed to, just the Mirascreen won't save it.

Found another cheap tablet with hdmi out. My colleague has a CHUWI tablet he bought for $80 from china. It's one of those dual boot for both windows 10 and android. Surprisingly it is working with DJI Go 4 in my initial testing. It has a USB-C port and mini-HDMI out which mirrors the screen. I'll do some more testing with it. I might have to buy it off of him.

Most Android devices have screen casting standard. I forget what version of Android it was added in, but want to say KitKat. On Nexus/Pixel devices, it's even in there as a toggle, just like wifi, bluetooth, or any other toggle. It's not exactly Miricast, but it does cast to most devices that support Miricast. One of which is Chromecast (which does not support Miricast). I often mirror my phone (nexus 6p) or tablet (nexus 7, 2013 edition) to TV's in my home, or even to our theater projector. There is about 1/4 second lag, and it needs to communicate via WiFi, so there must be an access point to manage the traffic.

I also have a Miricast receiver hooked to my theater amp, so any PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 can cast to the screen as a 2nd monitor, point to point, but this does not work from my android devices, as they are not true Miricast.

If anyone has found a hdmi dongle where you can share point to point, I would be interested in getting one.

I have been flying some more and i can observe that there seems to be a "little" Interference with using the DOngle & Goggles (whether it comes from dongle or Goggles i dont know yet) as the max distance is somewhat reduced before i get that "signal weak" message.
Its not horrrible but i can notice it. I will investigate it further and report. Of course i am using the dongle in 5G mode :)

Ender

How have your investigations on this went? I wonder, because I got my Mavic back yesterday, and while waiting for my goggles from China, was trying to mirror it to the tv last night. I seem to get a ton of interference whether in 2.4g or 5g. Makes me wonder if it's going to work very well at all with the goggles?

Hi !
Nooo, this was just to measure the lag.
The Dongle is just very small and the only added site is your goggles and possibly an USB powerbank.

And every 5Ghz enabled smartdevice can have a virtual HDMI out this way.

SMAAAAALLLL :D

I just had the opportunity to try outside as there was a moment without hailstorms.
Outside in 2.4G & 5G free environment the lag is even smaller, i bet << 250ms in total !
Thats great will remeasure outside when the wether becomes stable.

Ender

P.S. and a spotter now could wear the goggles and be several meters apart, just like with the DJI goggles as its connected wireless ;-)

Hello Ender, I saw your post and got a MiraScreen 5G as you have. Only difference is mine is an Android Samsung S5. I am able to mirror the screen using the 5Ghz band so that there is no interferrence. The MAJOR PROBLEM is the LAG. Not talking under a second... its more like 3 to 5 second delay from when I hold the mavic at an image and the point it elsewhere there is this several second delay on the HDMI monitor. Note that this delay does not happen when say using the phones camera, as I move it moves with less than a second delay. When I load the DJI GO 4 app and view the mavic camera then you get the 3 to 5 second delay (or even longer sometimes 10 seconds to update on the HDMI computer monitor).

I've been searching everywhere for a Ground Station monitor setup. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hmm, i dont know where that lag comes from, maybe the S5 is close "to the edge" hadnling the (very poor programmed) DJI GO app and so streaming gets only a few CPU cycles.
You can try an alternate way and use the Dongle in iOS / AirPlay mode and install & use the 360 mirroring sender app on your S5. So you would use a different protocol to do the very same thing.

FOr sake of testing you could try / borrow a more powerful Android or iOS device to check if its a better situation then but give 360 mirring a try, quite performant code...

Greetings,

Ender

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman