DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR vs D-Cinelike

DeLorean2015

Reactions
Hey everyone,

New Mavic pilot here. Just got the Air 2 yesterday. I’ve only done 2 flights above the house in between the rain and thunderstorm going on right now but I’m really impressed, especially with how small and durable it looks. I used to fly a Phantom Pro 3 in high school which was a lot bulkier (and a pain to carry around in its giant backpack).

I bought the mavic because I’m trying to teach myself some video editing and film making (yeah, I know I could have bought a much nicer camera or gimbal for $800 but drones are more fun[emoji23]).

For anyone who is knowledgeable, I have a question about HDR Video and D-Cinelike. I understand that HDR offers more dynamic range than Normal by combining two exposures, but does D-Cinelike offer the same dynamic range since it’s has more color data that can be post processed?

I’m guessing that D-Cinelike is the best choice for getting the best video quality after post, but HDR can always offer more dynamic range then D-Cinelike while have less colorgrading options. If this is the case, do you think there will ever be a HDR D-Cinelike option for DJI cameras?

Hey everyone,

New Mavic pilot here. Just got the Air 2 yesterday. I’ve only done 2 flights above the house in between the rain and thunderstorm going on right now but I’m really impressed, especially with how small and durable it looks. I used to fly a Phantom Pro 3 in high school which was a lot bulkier (and a pain to carry around in its giant backpack).

I bought the mavic because I’m trying to teach myself some video editing and film making (yeah, I know I could have bought a much nicer camera or gimbal for $800 but drones are more fun[emoji23]).

For anyone who is knowledgeable, I have a question about HDR Video and D-Cinelike. I understand that HDR offers more dynamic range than Normal by combining two exposures, but does D-Cinelike offer the same dynamic range since it’s has more color data that can be post processed?

I’m guessing that D-Cinelike is the best choice for getting the best video quality after post, but HDR can always offer more dynamic range then D-Cinelike while have less color grading options. If this is the case, do you think there will ever be a HDR D-Cinelike option for DJI cameras?

When you talking HDR your talking about getting the best video or picture from the drone software and when your talking the big D your talking about the color grading that has to be done outside thru editing on your own computer.

The difference between the HDR video and D- Cinelike are showing that the HDR is doing a better job than you might be able to do on your own and in less time..

Phnatomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the Rain
Coal

When you talking HDR your talking about getting the best video or picture from the drone software and when your talking the big D your talking about the color grading that has to be done outside thru editing on your own computer.

The difference between the HDR video and D- Cinelike are showing that the HDR is doing a better job than you might be able to do on your own and in less time..

Phnatomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the Rain
Coal

But isn’t capturing true HDR Video (not the camera software adjusting the picture to make “fake” HDR) done by capturing 2 different exposure levels and combining them?

Like in HDR photography, multiple photos are taken at different exposures and then combined to produce one photo with a higher dynamic range. But it’s harder in video, since you can’t actually (or it’s much harder) capture multiple photos for each frame and combine them. I assume that the MA2 is able to capture real HDR video by using its 48MP sensor and using half of the pixels to capture one level of exposure and half of the other pixels to capture another exposure or by a similar process.

If I had to alter my original question, does D-Cinelike use HDR?

Found this discussion from a few weeks ago that I missed. Looks like the answer is probably “no, D-Cinelike doesn’t use HDR” but I might shoot an email to DJI and ask.

But isn’t capturing true HDR Video (not the camera software adjusting the picture to make “fake” HDR) done by capturing 2 different exposure levels and combining them?

Like in HDR photography, multiple photos are taken at different exposures and then combined to produce one photo with a higher dynamic range. But it’s harder in video, since you can’t actually (or it’s much harder) capture multiple photos for each frame and combine them. I assume that the MA2 is able to capture real HDR video by using its 48MP sensor and using half of the pixels to capture one level of exposure and half of the other pixels to capture another exposure or by a similar process.

If I had to alter my original question, does D-Cinelike use HDR?

Someone posted this video and I think you could learn something in regards to what your asking.

Someone posted this video and I think you could learn something in regards to what your asking.

Great vid! The Mavic Air 2 is clearly using “image stacking” to provide HDR video with much improved dynamic range. That’s next generation stuff.

In comparison, even the higher-end Mavic Pro 2 does not appear to have these “HDR Video image stacking” capabilities. Instead the Mavic Pro 2 relies heavily on it’s 1 inch sensor and D-Log color profile to increase it’s dynamic range and colors (in post). As seen in countless vids, this also works very well.

In future reviews/shootouts between the Air 2 and Pro 2, they should play fair and fully enable both drones. For the Mavic Air 2, that means turning HDR Video ON.

Not to hijack your thread here but do you know how to even change it to dcinelike? I see no options for it but I also have no idea what I’m doing yet so there’s a learning curve haha

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Not to hijack your thread here but do you know how to even change it to dcinelike? I see no options for it but I also have no idea what I’m doing yet so there’s a learning curve haha
Go to the 3 dots in the corner under camera settings

Go to the 3 dots in the corner under camera settings
Got it thank you! I just wasn’t in the video settings I found it once I switched from photo mode stupid mistake I could’ve sworn I checked haha.

how do you go about manually adj the white balance with cinelike on? I’m heaving a hard time cause it’s so washed out looking, should I just leave it on 5500 or something during the sunny daytime stuff?

thanks for the help again

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Got it thank you! I just wasn’t in the video settings I found it once I switched from photo mode stupid mistake I could’ve sworn I checked haha.

how do you go about manually adj the white balance with cinelike on? I’m heaving a hard time cause it’s so washed out looking, should I just leave it on 5500 or something during the sunny daytime stuff?

thanks for the help again
No worries! That's what we're here for!

Bottom right corner. It should say Auto. Touch it to change to Manual. Not sure if it's available in D-Cinelike... Mine is packed up to ship back to factory for warranty.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore