DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heading abroad..

Reactions
Hi everyone, hope we are all well..
I’m heading abroad to Florida in August withy family..
I really want to take my Mavic with me. Is it worth taking and are there any major rules I need to know.. not had my Mavic long and still getting to grips with it..
thanks in advance for you help

Last edited:
The US is definitely a drone friendly country. After you arrive, make sure you register with the FAA here before flying anywhere outdoors. You'll also need to mark your FAA registration number on the outside of the aircraft. Follow these rules when flying.

Reactions: Degeneration-2019
Hi sorry I really should have added where I’m going.. I’m heading to florida.. thanks for replying

Where in Florida? If you will be flying near the beach, please follow some of the tips in these threads.

If flying near Disney, also be very mindful of the NFZ's

You'll want to be mindful of the GEO zones no matter where you fly in Florida. See the GEO Zone Map for a list of GEO zones in the areas where you intend to fly.

Here’s a list of drone laws by country and U.S. star with contact numbers:
You may also find AirMap useful for clearance to fly with real-time clearance.

Here’s a list of drone laws by country and U.S. star with contact numbers:
You may also find AirMap useful for clearance to fly with real-time clearance.
Brilliant.. thanks buddy

I’m hearing the Florida keys are pretty much a no- fly zone without a special permit. Saw another thread on here about that recently. Again, don’t rely on rumors... review official sources to be sure.

Where in Florida? If you will be flying near the beach, please follow some of the tips in these threads.

If flying near Disney, also be very mindful of the NFZ's
Never thought about flying near to Disney.. thanks for that, really glad I asked now?

I, too, am travelling to the U.S. next week. St Louis, Missouri. Nervous as hell, but I've done my FAA registration. I figure, if in doubt, I can always leave it in the bag, but if I don't take it I'm bound to see the shot of a lifetime! As far as I can ascertain, you are not allowed to put it in your hold baggage, it has to be in your cabin bag.
I just have this awful scenario of the airline confiscating it for some reason!
I wonder whether its OK to put chargers etc in the hold bag, to save space?

I, too, am travelling to the U.S. next week. St Louis, Missouri. Nervous as ****, but I've done my FAA registration. I figure, if in doubt, I can always leave it in the bag, but if I don't take it I'm bound to see the shot of a lifetime! As far as I can ascertain, you are not allowed to put it in your hold baggage, it has to be in your cabin bag.
Only the batteries are required to be in the cabin by law.
But why would you give the airline a chance to loose any of your equipment? Take it all on and use the overhead IMHO.

I, too, am travelling to the U.S. next week. St Louis, Missouri. Nervous as ****, but I've done my FAA registration. I figure, if in doubt, I can always leave it in the bag, but if I don't take it I'm bound to see the shot of a lifetime! As far as I can ascertain, you are not allowed to put it in your hold baggage, it has to be in your cabin bag.
I know you definitely have to have it as a carry on.. same with the batteries.. I just have to if the batteries have to be completely drained. So say they do, some say otherwise..

I know you definitely have to have it as a carry on.. same with the batteries.. I just have to if the batteries have to be completely drained. So say they do, some say otherwise..
Batteries do not have to be drained unless the particular airline requires it. FAA does not even address %charge in their regs. So check directly with your airline/ country’s regs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr