DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heart Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
How were you able to salvage the video? Was the sd card undamaged? Were you screen recording?

Reactions: jato
I'm hoping that DJI does not define being shot by someone else as deliberate. Legalities withstanding, of course.

Anyway jato,
very sorry to hear what happen. It is crazy world we live in. I know your Constitution allows the arming of your citizens but perhaps it is time to look at the pros and cons.
Lee82GX

as an American , I take your comment very seriously about disarming the American people. There is a reason that is in our constitution. Good, bad or indifferent the men that wrote those words did it for a reason. yes there are a few loonies out there. But...99% of all gun owners in this country do the right thing. Please stop suggesting things that “work” in your country. Most of us like America the way it is.

Been a fixed wing & variable pitch rotor RC Pilot for 20 years. I was itching to buy a drone & couldn’t pass up on the Air 2
I was so impressed with the stability even in windy conditions and the incredible vistas. But it’s all over for now. Yesterday I took my MA2 up to my 88 yr old mothers home she’s preparing to list for sale to get some aerial shots. I went straight up to 300ft & slowly came down taking pics and video. At about 35ft her neighbor came running out of his house with a shotgun screaming like a madman. I can’t repeat what he said but it was the ranting of a lunatic. Within seconds he fired both barrels & my newest buddy fell into her yard. I calmly call the police. Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.
I would send him a certified letter today requesting the replacement cost within 30 days. And once that time expires, file a case in small claims court. This is regardless of what legally may or may not happen to him. You can also work on the care/refresh, but that should be an interesting one to explain for sure.

Lee82GX

as an American , I take your comment very seriously about disarming the American people. There is a reason that is in our constitution. Good, bad or indifferent the men that wrote those words did it for a reason. yes there are a few loonies out there. But...99% of all gun owners in this country do the right thing. Please stop suggesting things that “work” in your country. Most of us like America the way it is.
sorry, actually i would like to keep quiet on this topic.

Reactions: molson
Sympathy sir, but not to be a wet blanket on the party, did you see this guy and what he was about to do before he pulled the trigger? The first rule of piloting is anticipation. Maybe I'm just a paranoid person by nature, but before I lift off I do a risk assessment of the area I'm in, including the possibility that some nut will pop out of his cave and start shooting. Not for nothing, but if you've been at this for 20 years, you should have had a plan B, C, and D. Even if you weren't prepared, the nano second you saw this guy appear with a weapon, my first instinct would be to go high very fast. Sorry for your loss, but there are a few details missing from your story. Can't wait to see the video.

Reactions: Reelman67
Greetings from Centralia, WA, just up the road from you. Sorry to hear what happened to your buddy. That's outrageous and crazy, but shows what can happen when flying around other people, legal or otherwise. Hey, let's get together and fly, if and when you replace it.

Been a fixed wing & variable pitch rotor RC Pilot for 20 years. I was itching to buy a drone & couldn’t pass up on the Air 2
I was so impressed with the stability even in windy conditions and the incredible vistas. But it’s all over for now. Yesterday I took my MA2 up to my 88 yr old mothers home she’s preparing to list for sale to get some aerial shots. I went straight up to 300ft & slowly came down taking pics and video. At about 35ft her neighbor came running out of his house with a shotgun screaming like a madman. I can’t repeat what he said but it was the ranting of a lunatic. Within seconds he fired both barrels & my newest buddy fell into her yard. I calmly call the police. Cut to the chase, he’s getting charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm in a residential area & reckless endangerment. Fortunately I was doing everything by the book and presented pictures & video to illustrate how carefully I was flying. I was so looking forward to going out to some scenic places this week and having some fun.
Wow bro. That's harsh. Sorry for your loss.Thats covered by DJI right? If not, it should be.

There is the story of a man throwing his bath-towel on a drone who was -in his opinion- too close to his daughter sunbathing on the beach in San Diego. The drone was destroyed but afterwards the man who destroyed the drone had to pay for it. So i think, if you want to make a case of it, you will get your money back. I don't know if you will get compensated for pain and sorrow. Good luck anyway.

Reactions: Simone L
Lee82GX

I addressed this after he posted that but seems members
want to continue on with firearm comments. Topics like these always brings up comments like that and unless i
take out several post in this which I’m not let’s not comment
on nothing but the topic.
Sympathy sir, but not to be a wet blanket on the party, did you see this guy and what he was about to do before he pulled the trigger? The first rule of piloting is anticipation. Maybe I'm just a paranoid person by nature, but before I lift off I do a risk assessment of the area I'm in, including the possibility that some nut will pop out of his cave and start shooting. Not for nothing, but if you've been at this for 20 years, you should have had a plan B, C, and D. Even if you weren't prepared, the nano second you saw this guy appear with a weapon, my first instinct would be to go high very fast. Sorry for your loss, but there are a few details missing from your story. Can't wait to see the video.
You know he saw him from his opening post and yes I would like to see the video of this as all I have seen is a thread from a new members first post that hasn’t been back since
after making 5 more post. Maybe he’s laying low after seeing
some of these post I don’t know but being the skeptic I am i
like to see some proof of this even if nothing but an media article which you would think there would be one.
Looked and can’t find one.
Maybe he will post back soon and give us a update.
Carry on guys but lay off the firearm comments.

It’s also an FAA violation to shoot a drone.

There is the story of a man throwing his bath-towel on a drone who was -in his opinion- too close to his daughter sunbathing on the beach in San Diego.

I'd imagine most people would agree with that guy, if the drone is flying close enough to someone's daughter that you can throw a bath-towel over it, then that to me says they were flying too close. A bath towel is not exactly aerodynamic and able to be thrown particularly far.

Interesting story, I'd definitely be interested in the outcome and hope that the OP does return. It might be useful information for anyone who may unfortunately be in the same situation in future with regards to how the police, court, FAA etc. handled things.

File with the FAA. He’s guilty of Federal felonies. He’ll look awesome in an Orange jumpsuit, too.

• Haha
Reactions: NonoT
There are several phony you tube video's of shotgun retaliation on you tube...you don't suppose?? no I'm just a cynic

That's why I asked how he saved the video if the aircraft was destroyed
If he was recording it would be in the app.

Ⅱ. Exclusions

DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:

1) The date when you apply for the replacement is not within the period of validity of your replacement service.
2) The corresponding parts have not been shipped out within seven natural days after the Online Service case is submitted. Or, the corresponding parts have not been shipped out within three days after the Express case is submitted.
3) The replacement times have been used up.
4) The part is not covered by the replacement service.
5) Damage caused by using your DJI product together with a non-DJI product or third-party accessory/software that is not authorized by DJI.
6) Some or all of the parts that are covered by the replacement service are lost.
7) Some or all of the parts that are covered by the replacement service have been stolen, looted, or discarded.
8) Damage caused by flights in unsuitable conditions.
9) The product is damaged deliberately.
10) The product is damaged directly or indirectly by natural disaster, war, military action, riot, coup, treason, terrorist activities, etc.
11) Technical enhancements or performance improvements for your product provided at an extra fee.
12) Damage caused by modifications that are not in accordance with DJI official instructions.

#9.= I would think deliberately by the owner. In any event the court should order him to pay restitution.

I’m sorry to her that happened to your first flight, I just hope you get back up going again soon. I also hope everyone gets to see the video soon

I grew up and live in a rural area where guns are a way of life for sport and hunting but as a young boy, I was taught to respect gun ownership and that with it come great responsibility. That is why I feel in my opinion that it should be reported to the FAA, otherwise, the person who shot the drone will never learn that there are consequences that come with the responsibility of owning a firearm nor will others if they hear about it and see that he just gets a slap on the wrist. People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions and with it comes consequences for bad actions.

If he is getting charged criminally for the offense, the court should also be able to assign restitution for damages to you. He is clearly not indigent if he has a house and a weapon. Stay in touch with the police and the prosecutor and show up in court to testify and be prepared to show your receipt for the damaged device (and of course nothing is much better than video evidence of the actual event). Thank god he did not aim low and harm anyone, glad your okay and it sucks that it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980