DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter Flies Dangerously Close to Me.

bricman12

Reactions
DJI_0204.jpg

Hello Everyone! First time poster here -

So I want to preface by saying - I have my UAS remote pilots license, I file LAANC, and I follow the rules.

Yesterday, I was out flying to plan a photo for this sunset photo so I go next to the tower to scout out a good angle. I wasn't doing anything crazy - I literally just flew up to this tower from the ground - no kind of acrobatics. I hear a chopper in the distance and don't think much of it. My ADS-B then pops up a little while later and tells me there's an aircraft approaching - okay - I thought that was weird...

Then it comes and flies straight for my drone, does a little bit of slow arc about 100-200 feet from my drone (which I had already placed even closer to the tower and lowered slightly so it wasn't above the tower level). It flies away then does the exact thing 2 minutes later.

I always respect other manned aircraft and position myself to avoid them. Why would a manned aircraft specifically seek me out and fly so close to me?

Hard to say why anyone does strange things. My guess is that they were curious about your drone. Sounds like you did the right thing, even if the helicopter was acting strangely (though for a helicopter, probably legally).

Here is the rule, but helicopters can do less https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...ject-group-ECFRe4c59b5f5506932/section-91.119

A helicopter purposely approaching an unmanned aircraft is reckless and I would report them if you can. You still have to yield right of way as you know, but they also have rules for recklessness just as we do.
I don't know why I bother getting into these rules discussions, since the FAA seems to contradict itself regularly. What I was looking at was https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf

Reactions: bricman12
I don't know why I bother getting into these rules discussions, since the FAA seems to contradict itself regularly. What I was looking at was https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf
I don’t see a contradiction as the pdf you linked to is using the same regulation of 91.119 that states that helicopters are not held to those same distance standards.

Yet all pilots are held to standards of not flying recklessly. If indeed the pilot was purposely approaching the UAS that would be considered reckless operation. There was a news chopper some time ago in the Miami, FL area that purposely flew toward a UAS saying that the UAS was above 400’ when in reality the helicopter pilot was well below 400’ purposely flying toward the USS so the camera operator could video the encounter.

Very poor ADM - Macho attitude comes to mind.

Wanna talk about helicopters flying recklessly... You should have seen the Lee County helicopter spraying for mosquitos down by Pine Island a few weeks ago. Holy cow... I think the guy was a Red Bull pilot. lol
That is just like crop dusting. Pilots with nerves of steel and hand eye coordination on par with the best.

I don’t see a contradiction as the pdf you linked to is using the same regulation of 91.119 that states that helicopters are not held to those same distance standards.

Yet all pilots are held to standards of not flying recklessly. If indeed the pilot was purposely approaching the UAS that would be considered reckless operation. There was a news chopper some time ago in the Miami, FL area that purposely flew toward a UAS saying that the UAS was above 400’ when in reality the helicopter pilot was well below 400’ purposely flying toward the USS so the camera operator could video the encounter.

Very poor ADM - Macho attitude comes to mind.
Definitely agree, I felt very uncomfortable with the situation and it was something I would never do to a manned aircraft.

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
View attachment 143661

So I want to preface by saying - I have my UAS remote pilots license, I file LAANC, and I follow the rules.

Yesterday, I was out flying to plan a photo for this sunset photo so I go next to the tower to scout out a good angle. I wasn't doing anything crazy - I literally just flew up to this tower from the ground - no kind of acrobatics. I hear a chopper in the distance and don't think much of it. My ADS-B then pops up a little while later and tells me there's an aircraft approaching - okay - I thought that was weird...

Then it comes and flies straight for my drone, does a little bit of slow arc about 100-200 feet from my drone (which I had already placed even closer to the tower and lowered slightly so it wasn't above the tower level). It flies away then does the exact thing 2 minutes later.

I always respect other manned aircraft and position myself to avoid them. Why would a manned aircraft specifically seek me out and fly so close to me?

First off WELCOME to the forum.

I can almost assure you the helicopter pilot had no clue you were flying in that area what-so-ever. Being able to spot a small UAS (I'm assuming you were flying an Air2S or similar) on the horizon is hard but spotting one below the horizon is going to be a very difficult task.

I want to caution you about "holding position" because you need to keep in mind if you had a Loss of Signal for some reason your UAS is probably going to ASCEND and that's the HOT ZONE! I am a firm believer if there is an aircraft in your vicinity and it's even possible on a similar flight level than your UAS, you land and you land immediately. There is no reason to even chance a RTH putting your aircraft in line with the manned aircraft.

I had to do exactly that this last Saturday when mapping for a client. I was flying at 300' AGL doing an autonomous Grid Flight over 99 acres of a tree farm. My VO picked up on the "sound" of another aircraft in the area and she alerted me. I immediately put my finger on the "Mission Kill Switch" (mode change switch) and waited for her to visually locate the source of the sound. In a few seconds she pointed it out and it was a Military C-130 (assumed) flying through at roughly 700'AGL (we are in a MOA so seeing low Military aircraft isn't unusual at all). I don't know if you've seen a huge plane like that down low but it's freaking HUGE! I immediately changed mode to stop the autonomous flight and made a bee-line for our landing area. The aircraft was here and GONE before I made it back to me but I was doing anything and everything to minimize risks... both of a air incident and also of loss-of-signal etc. Even though my RTH height is set WELL below my "Guestimated" altitude of the manned aircraft my SOP is to get it DOWN and get it CLOSE to me ASAP.

Be warned that it's common for General Aviation to fly (legally so) below 500' AGL and ALWAYS keep your head on a swivel and not solely relying on Aps etc. Keep a solid VLOS and utilize your "Mk-1 eyeball" always.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

I can almost assure you the helicopter pilot had no clue you were flying in that area what-so-ever. Being able to spot a small UAS (I'm assuming you were flying an Air2S or similar) on the horizon is hard but spotting one below the horizon is going to be a very difficult task.

I want to caution you about "holding position" because you need to keep in mind if you had a Loss of Signal for some reason your UAS is probably going to ASCEND and that's the HOT ZONE! I am a firm believer if there is an aircraft in your vicinity and it's even possible on a similar flight level than your UAS, you land and you land immediately. There is no reason to even chance a RTH putting your aircraft in line with the manned aircraft.

I had to do exactly that this last Saturday when mapping for a client. I was flying at 300' AGL doing an autonomous Grid Flight over 99 acres of a tree farm. My VO picked up on the "sound" of another aircraft in the area and she alerted me. I immediately put my finger on the "Mission Kill Switch" (mode change switch) and waited for her to visually locate the source of the sound. In a few seconds she pointed it out and it was a Military C-130 (assumed) flying through at roughly 700'AGL (we are in a MOA so seeing low Military aircraft isn't unusual at all). I don't know if you've seen a huge plane like that down low but it's freaking HUGE! I immediately changed mode to stop the autonomous flight and made a bee-line for our landing area. The aircraft was here and GONE before I made it back to me but I was doing anything and everything to minimize risks... both of a air incident and also of loss-of-signal etc. Even though my RTH height is set WELL below my "Guestimated" altitude of the manned aircraft my SOP is to get it DOWN and get it CLOSE to me ASAP.

Be warned that it's common for General Aviation to fly (legally so) below 500' AGL and ALWAYS keep your head on a swivel and not solely relying on Aps etc. Keep a solid VLOS and utilize your "Mk-1 eyeball" always.
Thanks for the input - I was actually just about to respond to @DoomMeister that I only thought to even take a photo of the helicopter once it was gone because my first instinct was to avoid it and didn't go into photo mode until the danger had passed. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe it wasn't - all I know is that it really scared me to have a helicopter come right up on me.

Would a helicopter be able to see me since I was flying next to a tower about 350' AGL?

Here's a screenshot of the helicopter zoomed in as it was making its way back to the city. (it had ascended and moved further away before I thought to photo/video it) - looks yellow
1644458660162.png
1644458592379.png

A. How close are you to the tower?

B. I'm in Lville next weekend, what are some cool places to fly around?

Would a helicopter be able to see me since I was flying next to a tower about 350' AGL?

Probably not if it was higher than you altitude when nearer.

Even at a lateral 200 - 300 feet away and say maybe 100' over the tower (?), your drone would have just disappeared in general to the background behind it (general urban cityscape / traffic, various colours / lights / refelctions etc), even with standard lights working on the drone.
If above at all, the standard drone nav lights really aren't giving much to see from that position.

A. How close are you to the tower?

B. I'm in Lville next weekend, what are some cool places to fly around?
I would estimate I was 50 ft from the tower before I moved in closer. Wasn't planning on getting close until the chopper came.

I really enjoy the skyline - a lot of people like st James CT there's a pink house there - there's a sanatorium, some cool bridges on the river. There's a cool bridge called pope lick Bridge southeast of town. Downtown is really cool - so is Churchill Downs! Make sure to file your laanc - pretty much everywhere in the city it's required. There's a bunch of height ceilings that have to be unlocked if you want to fly over skyscrapers (if flying the prescribed allowable altitude within 400' of a structure) due to the airport. Message me if you want to meet up!

Thanks for the input - I was actually just about to respond to @DoomMeister that I only thought to even take a photo of the helicopter once it was gone because my first instinct was to avoid it and didn't go into photo mode until the danger had passed. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe it wasn't - all I know is that it really scared me to have a helicopter come right up on me.

Here's a screenshot of the helicopter zoomed in as it was making its way back to the city. (it had ascended and moved further away before I thought to photo/video it) - looks yellow
View attachment 143694
View attachment 143693
I agree that giving right of way is proper and legal action to take and was not suggesting videoing the interaction as a course of action. I was more curious if you were already recording and captured any of it.

I fly at a spot near a medical helipad while I winter in Florida and as soon as I hear the whoop whoop of helicopter blades my drone is dropped below building level and on its way back to my landing area. I actually use this area less frequently now that the pad gets used 6 or more times a day now. Flights are now kept below or barely at roof level to stay below the altitude the helicopter would approach pad.

Reactions: bricman12
I would estimate I was 50 ft from the tower before I moved in closer. Wasn't planning on getting close until the chopper came.

I really enjoy the skyline - a lot of people like st James CT there's a pink house there - there's a sanatorium, some cool bridges on the river. There's a cool bridge called pope lick Bridge southeast of town. Downtown is really cool - so is Churchill Downs! Make sure to file your laanc - pretty much everywhere in the city it's required. There's a bunch of height ceilings that have to be unlocked if you want to fly over skyscrapers (if flying the prescribed allowable altitude within 400' of a structure) due to the airport. Message me if you want to meet up!
Maybe I can catch a ghost at Waverly! 👻

I believe if the copter were as close as you think that it would have blown your drone out of the air...I know there are times I lose my drone for a second and have a hard time finding it again...even though I know where it is...and I know that it is there...I doubt the pilot saw or even had any idea that your drone was there...you asked
"Why would a manned aircraft specifically seek me out and fly so close to me?".... although it probably seemed like that to you, it is not likely that someone who has gone to the trouble of getting a pilot license would risk losing it flying a big machine with identification on it irresponsibly ...and if that is what actually did happen, I think we would all be as baffled as you are for the reason...Sounds like you handled as best as could be expected...continued good flying

View attachment 143661

I had a helicopter, chase my drone once, I was about 60 feet off the ground, flying by a private airport, doing a job for an construction company. I was able to fly my drone low over some water close to some trees, to get him to stop chasing my drone. I looked at the pilot when he did, fly by me and the construction site manager. I think he was messing me and my drone. I did not get upset, just a little disturbed at him. It left wandering why he did it. I could have reported him, but I did not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piggybank292003