DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello everyone. New pilot from Northern VA.

CChoiVA

Reactions
New pilot and owner of the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo here. Registered my drone, been reading a lot of threads, useful articles, reading the owners manual (booklet & DJI's website), and watching YouTube videos. Thought I'd finally introduce myself. Any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated. Hopefully I can be a well seasoned pilot as a lot of you here are.

Wanted to share some pics and video. Also thought someone might have some insight as to why there is a TFR/NOTAM and when it may be lifted in the Northern VA area beside the typical NFZ around D.C. I've been trying to read/understand the FAA's map nor is the resolution that high and needless to say it's not that easy.

Happy New Year's everyone!

Attachments

• 20180107_211826.jpg
    20180107_211826.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20180107-211732.jpg
    Screenshot_20180107-211732.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180107_212249.jpg
    20180107_212249.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180106_140558.jpg
    20180106_140558.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: CChoiVA
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

New pilot and owner of the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo here. Registered my drone, been reading a lot of threads, useful articles, reading the owners manual (booklet & DJI's website), and watching YouTube videos. Thought I'd finally introduce myself. Any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated. Hopefully I can be a well seasoned pilot as a lot of you here are.

Wanted to share some pics and video. Also thought someone might have some insight as to why there is a TFR/NOTAM and when it may be lifted in the Northern VA area beside the typical NFZ around D.C. I've been trying to read/understand the FAA's map nor is the resolution that high and needless to say it's not that easy.

Howdy from Wyoming @CChoiVA , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I am from Fredericksburg and flying north of Quantico is **** near impossible. The region opens up in Fredericksburg and south of that. I have good luck and my house is an open zone but working in Springfield has proved futile in finding locations. Loriella Park is pretty cool and the views are amazing, just a little suggestion.

I am from Fredericksburg and flying north of Quantico is **** near impossible. The region opens up in Fredericksburg and south of that. I have good luck and my house is an open zone but working in Springfield has proved futile in finding locations. Loriella Park is pretty cool and the views are amazing, just a little suggestion.

Yeah there are a lot of restricted areas up here in Northern VA like Springfield since you're in that D.C. NFZ bubble. I'm in Woodbridge though and could of swore that there wasn't a TFR/NOTAM in my area a few weeks ago unless I was mistaken. But on DJI's Geo its saying I'm all good. So I'm not sure if I'm technically still able to fly or not if there is a TFR/NOTAM in Woodbridge.

You're right about Fredericksburg and further south having plenty of open area to fly in until you hit Richmond.

Hello Va...from Ca.
Wow... you have to be in one of the busiest air spaces in the world!
For NOTAM info you can check this site. Click on location then "NOTAMs Around Me"
I only get one page of NOTAMs ;)
Federal Aviation Administration: NOTAM Search
This one is geared for just TFRs
Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

When I used to live in "silicon valley", I got emails (from AOPA, I think) with TFRs, etc. It was amazing how often presidential wannabes show up their for fundraisers and those visits aren't on the news until the day after.
A TFR can be for as little as a few hours.

Hello Va...from Ca.
Wow... you have to be in one of the busiest air spaces in the world!
For NOTAM info you can check this site. Click on location then "NOTAMs Around Me"
I only get one page of NOTAMs ;)
Federal Aviation Administration: NOTAM Search
This one is geared for just TFRs
Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

When I used to live in "silicon valley", I got emails (from AOPA, I think) with TFRs, etc. It was amazing how often presidential wannabes show up their for fundraisers and those visits aren't on the news until the day after.
A TFR can be for as little as a few hours.

Yeah, I'm just glad that I don't live another 10 miles further up north. Then I'd be in that D.C. NFZ radius.
Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1