DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Amish country in northeastern Indiana

You mention you live in Amish country in Indiana. I livcd in Ohio which has a very big Amish area in the state in the east and kinda north. I'm wondering, have you thought of contacting some of your Amish neighbors and asking them if it would be alright to shoot video of them with your drone? I think video of them doing manual work in the fields, shots of buggies moving along the roads in Amish country and shots of some of their beautiful farms (they aren't spoiled by poles and wires) would be great!
That probably wouldn't go over too well. The Amish believe any physical representation of themselves (whether a photograph, a painting, or film) promotes individualism and vanity, taking away from the values of community and humility by which they govern their lives. They believe that would violate this part of the 2nd Commandment; "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image.".

They might allow a video or pictures of their farm, but not of them working on it.

That probably wouldn't go over too well. The Amish believe any physical representation of themselves (whether a photograph, a painting, or film) promotes individualism and vanity, taking away from the values of community and humility by which they govern their lives. They believe that would violate this part of the 2nd Commandment; "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image.".

They might allow a video or pictures of their farm, but not of them working on it.
I know you're correct but when I was a news reporter MANY years ago, I talked an old order Amish farmer into letting us shoot him and his boys working their land to show people what good stewards of the land they are, preventing soil erosion, etc. After I met with him and we talked about farming for awhile, I asked if we could videotape (yes, it was "tape" in those days) and his response was, "OK, it's not like any of my neighbors will see it on their TV's." His name was David Miller...what else. Funny guy.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I have been to Amish area, they do no like their picture taken. I have taken a few with a very, long lens.
Flying a drone on the farm, while they are working, may not go over big.

I flew across from a Amish Farm about a dozen years ago, but the way I dealt with it was by approaching the neighbor across the hwy about free pictures. I never flew over the farm and just happened to get the pictures while I was there. In fact I've given away all my pictures for free and using my own photo paper and ink. My wife used to complain about that, lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots