DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from D/FW area -- And opinions on this book for Part 107 study?

MrBJones

Reactions
Hello everyone! Just joined and making my first post. I'm about as new as a newbie can be...easily passed the TRUST test last week, but don't own a drone and have never even flown one. But I'm very interested in pursuing the hobby and look forward to learning from everyone here.

My first question is, what are your thoughts on "Drone FAA 107 License Study Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Pass Your 107 Test the First Time" by Damon Darnall? Reviews on Amazon seem to be good.
Darnall.jpg

Attachments

• Darnall.jpg
    Darnall.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
Hello everyone! Just joined and making my first post. I'm about as new as a newbie can be...easily passed the TRUST test last week, but don't own a drone and have never even flown one. But I'm very interested in pursuing the hobby and look forward to learning from everyone here.

My first question is, what are your thoughts on "Drone FAA 107 License Study Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Pass Your 107 Test the First Time" by Damon Darnall? Reviews on Amazon seem to be good.
View attachment 154151
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hello from the Crossroads of America MrBJones.

Good for you on passing the TRUST test so far. 👍

I can't comment on the book but you can have a few recreational flights and get some stick time in before diving into the Part 107 certificate when you get your aircraft.

It may be a requirement someday for all uas pilots to be certified and it's never too late to learn something new.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum!
I can't comment on the book either, but would say wait on the Part 107. I'm sure you will hear many comments on learning to fly, everything from starting with a less expensive one to learn the basics of flying to jumping right into something like on this forum. I can't argue with either, the DJI drones will pretty much fly themselves, but if something goes wrong do you have a chance of landing it safely?
I personally started with a couple cheaper drones that where much harder to fly but got me used to flying without GPS and all these modern day features.
Good luck! It is a fun hobby!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

what are your thoughts on "Drone FAA 107 License Study Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Pass Your 107 Test the First Time" by Damon Darnall? Reviews on Amazon seem to be good.
Could be good? Or you could try the commonly used FAA Part 107 study resources here.

Hi MrBJones,
I personally am not familiar with the Darnell study guide, and that does not mean it isn’t a good source. Several Forum members have given you good suggestions. My suggestion to you would be to go to Pilotinstitute.com as a resource, there you will learn a heck of a lot more than what you need to earn your Part 107 certificate, which will make you a much safer Pilot. See what they have to offer and make your own choice. You have already shown that you want to do things right just by staying legal and getting your Trust certificate.
Good luck to you.
B52-D
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails ➰

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I belief this is the same reference book that the FAA uses for all of the figures and sectional charts that are part of the remote pilot exam. During the exam you would have the book as reference but need to return it after the exam. Good practice test questions would also refer to specific figures in the book. Unfortunately it isn't free from the FAA or US government. You can purchase it from Amazon. Amazon.com: ASA Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement - Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot : Electronics

Welcome to the forum! :)

Could be good? Or you could try the commonly used FAA Part 107 study resources here.
That is likely best all-inclusive self-help guide for the 107 test and beyond the basics.

My first question is, what are your thoughts on "Drone FAA 107 License Study Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Pass Your 107 Test the First Time" by Damon Darnall?

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

Like the other members, I do not know this book but I imagine it's much like every other book like it…

I would advise you to log onto the FAADroneZone, lots of good references there on the rules and laws for Droners… And later, if you get a drone that requires registration, you'll be ahead of the game.

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

Since you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going… you can explore the web site and they have a fabulous YouTube Channel with all the latest news on Droning…

Here is the link to their YouTube Channel…

The advantage to taking this online course is that it is not boring; having the information shown to you in the presentations and explained is a whole lot more interesting than just reading the dry information. And if you have questions about the presentation, the instructor Greg Reverdiau, responds back to any inquires very quickly. Meaning he monitors the course as the students go through the sections. It's much more than just some old posted video that is years old, out of date, and is not updated.

Each section is broken down in easily digestible sections and if you didn't quite get it the first time, you can repeat it easily.

Finally, if your choice is to pursue your 107, the license is only valid for 24-months and you would be required to retest to maintain currency (Part 107 licenses do not expire, but are only valid for 24-minths). Enrollment is "forever" if that's the correct term, but to retest in 2-years, you can log back on to go through the course again and get up to date.

So, even if you decide to do what a great many do, study on your own and watch lots of YouTube Videos, Pilot Institute does offer a FREE Android/iOS App at your favorite Google Play Store with over 100 Flash Cards to study for the 107 (No Advertisements…)…

And as for what drone you should get, only you can decide that. What do you want to do, how fast do you want to start doing it? How much can you afford? You use the word "hobby" and perhaps that's all it will be; then again, you might become the "Ansel Adams" of Drones and you will not be happy with a kid's drone.

I am a hobby recreational flyer and I have a Mini 2 that I bought at Costco and I'm very happy with. This evening I was out with friends and I flew a Mini 3 Pro and it was a wonderful experience, but not so much that it's worth twice the price, so the Mini 3 did not ruin me for my Mini 2.

I started out with a GoolRC S161 from eBay for $30, Drone, controller, 3-batteries, and hard travel case. The S161 is a DJI Mini "look-alike" and it flew great. It was not GPS so I had to fly it. If I let it hover, the breeze would cause it to drift away. But it gave me the opportunity to learn to fly and not depend on the drone to do most of the work.

Last piece of advice, (yeah, I know, I do not know the meaning of "final…"), go to YouTube and watch lots of the Drone influencers, you can see all the drones on the market today and see how they fly and get the low-down on the pros and cons of each. Just remember, when someone is given a drone for free to evaluate, the report might be a bit bias…

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do and we might be able to hook you up with some great links.

LT

Last edited:
Howdy from just south of you in the Houston area. I have been flying for several years now and still dont have a 107. At this point i am just recreational. I sell epoxies and i have told my customers that if they want I will be happy to take an ariel look at things for them and I cannot legally charge them, but ask them to please consider using my materials for any repairs.

Welcome aboard. Lots and lots of great advice here.
My 2cents worth are to simply check the currentness of publication. Ensure it has the coverage of night, over person, etc, etc. Else you will be looking for more books.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas